New or rebuilt fuel injector ? by Lafiero357
Started on: 08-02-2023 09:40 PM
Replies: 6 (262 views)
Last post by: Lafiero357 on 08-05-2023 06:52 PM
Lafiero357

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2023 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lafiero357Send a Private Message to Lafiero357Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 87 gt that is has a dead injector on #3 cylinder. I was going to pull them out and send them out to be reconditioned and flow tested but I see that Rock Auto has Bosch FJ9 injectors on close out for $12.49. This is cheaper than the service, but I am not familiar with the close out injectors. Should I get the Bosch or just send my old ones to be rebuilt?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2023 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lafiero357:

I see that Rock Auto has Bosch FJ9 injectors on close out for $12.49. This is cheaper than the service, but I am not familiar with the close out injectors.

You might be interested in having a look at This thread.
Craig71188

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2023 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lafiero357:

I have a 87 gt that is has a dead injector on #3 cylinder. I was going to pull them out and send them out to be reconditioned and flow tested but I see that Rock Auto has Bosch FJ9 injectors on close out for $12.49. This is cheaper than the service, but I am not familiar with the close out injectors. Should I get the Bosch or just send my old ones to be rebuilt?

"Close out" generally just means eaither the manufacturer has discontinued the part (generally due to slow sales) or the warehouse stocking the part is no longer planning on carrying it (and possibly can't return it to the manufactuer). These are typically brand new old stock at a great price. In fact, I have a few clode out alerts on Rock just to be able to pick up spare parts as a great price (before they are gone sometimes).

As to "rebuilt" fuel injectors, it's a bit of a misnomer. Ultrasonic cleaning and new seals is hardley "rebuilt" despite what many companies market. They may be able to test the electronics "in the moment", but who knows when that may fail in the future. Buying 6 new injectors at $12.49 ea.? I'd jump on it myself if I was in need.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2023 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm running FJ9 injectors in my 3.1, but they are Standard Motor injectors, not Bosch. They're good injectors.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2023 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your injectors are original they've been baked by engine heat for 37 years and they're made of plastic. Now would be a good time to treat your engine to a new set injectors. Just my humble opinion.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2023 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just for everyone's info, the is no such thing as a "rebuilt injector" . Those that are described and sold under that nomenclature are used injectors, ultrasonically cleaned, the cone filters
O rings replaced and flow tested. Much of the time they work fine but the solenoid coil, return spring, plunger/pintle valve, are parts that are hermetically sealed and cannot be replaced.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Lafiero357

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2023 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lafiero357Send a Private Message to Lafiero357Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info, I have the Bosch injectors on the way.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock