Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Grief and confusion with 84 A/C high pressure port.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Grief and confusion with 84 A/C high pressure port. by fierosound
Started on: 08-28-2023 03:47 PM
Replies: 14 (268 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 09-12-2023 04:46 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2023 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jump ahead to solution: INSTALL new A/C port at front of car.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...HTML/147141.html#p13

I think I found another thing “different” about the 84 vs 85 and up models.
This is regarding the A/C High Pressure Port located in the engine bay near driver's side hinge.

This retrofit kit with straight through adapter on High Port was on the car.

I took it off with vice grips to get at the factory Schrader valve.
The valve was leaking and came out in pieces.
I think it looked like this, but don’t know what size it is (M8?)

I’m not sure if installing a new Schrader will seal (port may be damaged internally?)
So I’d prefer a new High Port adapter with Schrader valve IN IT.

But these catalog listed adapters do not fit (already tried them)
Four Seasons PN 59978
Napa PN A5370

Does anyone know what R134a adapter w/Schrader valve fits the 84?
I need something with a smaller threaded hole than the ones above.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-12-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2023 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The high side port is a smaller 3/16" size VS the low side's 1/4", the 59978 should have fit perfectly, unless the threads were damaged after removing the old adapter, or the wrong part was in the bag. Are the threads on the 59978 too big or too small?

The original schrader valve for the high side is Four Seasons 59345. If the threads and sealing surface are undamaged, it should seal it.

Rhodesia1977

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2023 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhodesia1977Send a Private Message to Rhodesia1977Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think R12 blew colder than 134. Change my mind!

My AC hasn't worked on my GT as long as I've had it so I just ignored it but than again I do live in northern Michigan!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2023 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Are the threads on the 59978 too big or too small?

I bought it based on the information you posted elsewhere, and the threaded hole is too big.
I have two of the straight through type adapter that was on the car (including a brand new one) and they both thread on fine.

So I think the 84 is an "odd duck" and the proper adapter has been discontinued.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2023 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to buy an adapter to use my R-12 gauge set with my 84 Fiero's ports, but the high side adapter fit both the 84's engine compartment hose high side fitting, and the one from the 85-88 car in the front compartment line.

If the threaded part is too big for the 59978 adapter that fits a 3/16 fitting, maybe yours has 1/4" on both sides? That would be Four Seasons 59977.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2023 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If the threaded part is too big for the 59978 adapter that fits a 3/16 fitting, maybe yours has 1/4" on both sides? That would be Four Seasons 59977.

Was an idea worth trying. I took the front "low side" adapter off and it is too big as well.

The adapter I took off looks to be from a bona-fide retrofit kit that was available at some point and I have two of them that thread on fine.
So it's confusing as to what's going on.

Also, in my "bag of misc A/C parts" I found a cap that fits on the R12 A/C port as it would have come from the factory.
Not sure where I got it from, but thinking I took it off an all original Fiero at a wrecker on a "scavenger hunt".
(and no, it's not a tire valve stem cap - those are too small)

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-28-2023).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2023 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15182 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Oops...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-28-2023).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2023 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I HAD a picture of the 84 hose assembly until the image server got nuked. But I did find this picture in my own old pics, it shows the 84 and 85-88 cars use the same fitting/port for the high side.

Maybe someone with an 84 can get a picture of theirs on their car? Mine's 4 hours away in storage.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2023 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I HAD a picture of the 84 hose assembly until the image server got nuked. But I did find this picture in my own old pics, it shows the 84 and 85-88 cars use the same fitting/port for the high side.

Maybe someone with an 84 can get a picture of theirs on their car? Mine's 4 hours away in storage.

Odd. Maybe mine is finicky and I wasn't holding my mouth right when I tried installing the thing.
The thread does appear to be 3/8"-24 which is what the FS 59978 adapter is. I'll have to get another and try again.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2023 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
n/m

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2023 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure about the 59986, I've never held one, so I'd be worried about it being a swivel or not; the swivel introducing a potential point for a leak, or it NOT swiveling, and then ending up with a port that points in some random direction that DOES interfere with the decklid.

The 59986 is a 3/16 just like the 59978.

https://www.4s.com/en/ecata...9986&type=p&search=s

Maybe the port on your hose assembly was warped slightly when the old adapter was removed, so now the adapter won't slide over it?

Another possible solution would be the get the later style hard line and install it in the front compartment, which would make future service easier since both ports would be right there.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2023 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got another FS 59978 and the threaded hole is just seems too big.
So I decided I'd replace the Scrader valve in the port with a new one and reinstall the adapter I have.

Unfortunately, the Schrader broke apart and the lower portion is stuck in the port.
(maybe that's why the new adapter won't go on?)
Using a screw extractor just expands it and tightens it further.
I will seal the port with JB Weld and cap it.

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2023 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having chunks of the old schrader valve in the port could very well cause the issue of it not being able to seat. It won't come out even with the special tool?

Might try a 'want to buy' thread in The Mall for the parts. 84 hose assembly, and 85+ front compartment hard lines. The 85+ lines also make removing the orifice tube easier. The A/C lines thread was another victim of the image server nuke.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2023 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AC Delco made a retrofit kit to provide a connection up front on the tube upstream of the orifice valve.
I've ordered this part on RockAuto listed under A/C parts for 84 Fiero (on closeout now...)

This is the comparison the the 84 (left) and later year A/C lines from condenser to evaporator.
The line from the condenser up front to the evaporator are interchangeable ad RWDPLZ mentioned.
But finding one in good shape could be problematic.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...160323-2-123621.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-13-2023).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2023 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear port was not repairable, so I sealed it permanently.
(I'm thinking THAT was the "slow leak" I could never find before)

I got the above AC Delco PN 155529 retrofit kit and installation was a 5-minute job.
I now have both A/C port connections at the front of the car that will make life easier.
After I replace the alternator (that's another story) I can charge the A/C system.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock