GM Synchromesh transmission fluid question by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 12-23-2023 04:18 PM
Replies: 32 (756 views)
Last post by: Vintage-Nut on 12-28-2023 01:27 PM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2023 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have just replaced a snapped passenger side CV axle on an 86 GT with a 3.4 swap and a Getrag 5 speed. I drained the tranny fluid so that I can add all new GM Synchromesh fluid, as is highly recommended by so many on the forum.

I couldn't find the GM product locally so I ordered it from Amazon.

The picure of the label on the Amazon page simply states "Synchromesh Transmission Fluid". Upon receipt of the product I see that this label specifies it as "SAE 75w-80 Synchromesh Transmission Fluid". Different labels, but both labels have the same part number "10-4006"

I believe the original spec for the tranny was 5w-30 transmission fluid.

Did I get the right stuff???

Thanks for any help, and Happy Holidays!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2023 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always ran Mobil One 5w-30, shifted great for 100K+ miles.....
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2023 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine oil and gear oil have different viscosity scales.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2023 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I swapped a Getrag into my 1985 SE V6 in 1999...used motor oil in the trans for 10 years. Then a friend told me about GM synchromesh fluid....starting using that and transmission shifted much better.

I would never use anything but the Synchromesh fluid- all of the "Tonda" guys now use it because it works so good.

I believe Pennzoil and a couple of other companies make the stuff at a cheaper price....
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2023 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I swapped a Getrag into my 1985 SE V6 in 1999...used motor oil in the trans for 10 years. Then a friend told me about GM synchromesh fluid....starting using that and transmission shifted much better.

I would never use anything but the Synchromesh fluid- all of the "Tonda" guys now use it because it works so good.

I believe Pennzoil and a couple of other companies make the stuff at a cheaper price....

So, am I hearing that synchromesh is all the same and I am good to go with the 75w-80?
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2023 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Originally, the spec was for motor oil.....so approx' 5W-30 which is typical of motor oils....The GM/Delco Synchromesh oil is a whole different animal- and was specifically designed to help manual transmission SYNCHROS work properly....

Can you post a picture of your bottle of fluid?
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2023 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Originally, the spec was for motor oil.....so approx' 5W-30 which is typical of motor oils....The GM/Delco Synchromesh oil is a whole different animal- and was specifically designed to help manual transmission SYNCHROS work properly....

Can you post a picture of your bottle of fluid?

I just texted you a photo from my phone. I'll try to upload the picture here tomorrow if needed.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2023 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2023 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pennzoil/QS has it & < $ then GM dealers.

⚠️ Warning: Most car's Manual Trans oil Is Not "Gear Oil" & using GO can ruin them because have Braze/Bronze parts. Not just GM but many other brands.
Because Most GO's have a lot of Sulfur & other additives that "eat" Braze/Bronze, plastic & other parts.

Also see https://web.archive.org/web...cast.net/~fierocave/ Manual Trans Fluid

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2023 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:
The picure of the label on the Amazon page simply states "Synchromesh Transmission Fluid". Upon receipt of the product I see that this label specifies it as "SAE 75w-80 Synchromesh Transmission Fluid". Different labels, but both labels have the same part number "10-4006"

I believe the original spec for the tranny was 5w-30 transmission fluid.

Did I get the right stuff???

The original spec did indeed call for engine oil.

Synchromesh has become a popular replacement. For good reason, it would seem.

I've got some of the Pennzoil stuff down in the garage. I'll check it later. It doesn't seem to be 75W-80, from what I can tell.

Here's an article...
https://bobistheoilguy.com/...s-gm-version.104875/

And another...
https://bobistheoilguy.com/...sembly%20engagement.

Reader's Digest version...
Based upon the second article, I'd probably go ahead and run it. The worst that will happen is that it will suck, and you'll have to use something else.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-24-2023).]

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2023 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rsvl-Rider:
GM Synchromesh fluid, as is highly recommended by so many on the forum. / Different labels, but both labels have the same part number "10-4006" / Did I get the right stuff???

To answer your question, yes!

I believe There are 2 types of GM Synchromesh fluids; Standard and Friction Modified

You brought ACDelco 10-4006 which is 'Standard'

The bottle also has (GM) 88900333 on the label which is a SAE 75W-80 Synchromesh Transmission Fluid.

BTW - Some members also suggest adding a 4 oz. bottle of ACDelco 10-4003 / GM 88900330 which is a "Limited Slip Axle Lubricant Additive" to the GM Standard Fluid if your Getrag/Muncie which has the ‘rattle’ of the unengaged gears.

{EDIT}

82-T/A:
what does the LSD additive do?

I learn that the additive is also known as Friction Modifiers to reduce unwanted noise and wear.

The other GM Fluid is Synchromesh - Friction Modified which is part number 88900399 or ACDelco 10-4014.

I found a thread on 'Bob Is The Oil Guy' forum that discusses the difference between standard GM Synchromesh and Synchromesh Friction Modified which have the same viscosity. According to the forum, both fluids are 'Friction Modified', however the Friction-Modified version dosage has 5% more and has a friction additive for LSD clutch packs that require a GL4 fluid. The standard fluid lacks the friction additive.

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 12-31-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2023 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

To answer your question, yes!

I believe there are 2 types of GM Synchromesh fluids, and you want ACDelco 10-4006

The bottle also has (GM) 88900333 on the label which is a SAE 75W-80 Synchromesh Transmission Fluid.

BTW - Some members also suggest adding a 4 oz. bottle of ACDelco 10-4003 / GM 88900330 which is a "Limited Slip Axle Lubricant Additive".

Vintage nut... what does the LSD additive do? I'm assuming the 5-Speed Getrag does not actually have a limited slip differential in it, right?

Also... would you say the GM Synchromesh fluid would ALSO be good for my daughter's 5-Speed Isuzu in your 4-cyl?

Thanks!
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2023 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pennzoil Syncromesh all the way.. no need to to put LSD additive in….in fact I’ve never heard of that used in a manual. It for the clutch packs in a posi diff.
FormulaGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2023 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaGTSend a Private Message to FormulaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The '88 service manual for Getrag 5 speed specifies part number 12345349 or equivalent. I used Valvoline synchromesh which cross references that GM number on the bottle.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2023 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Firstly, I’m not an expert and merely searched the forum like Rsvl-Rider did…….

My research found that GM / Pontiac changed the manual gearbox fluid in 1988.
{Technical Service Bulletin 88-7-17 titled “Proper Service Fluid For Manual”}

The TSB and countless PFF threads highly recommend GM Synchromesh Fluid intended to deal with shifting difficulty when the gearbox is cold and the biggest differences will be felt in the Getrag/Muncie.

And no, I haven't been able to locate an actual copy of TSB 88-7-17
{See this thread “4 spd manual transmission fluid? by Madess started on Oct-18-2005}
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...060811-2-067743.html

Since many manuals have similar construction, I imagine GM Synchromesh Fluid (which is compatible with non-ferrous metals) would also be applied to other gearboxes’ that the original fluid recommended 5W30 oil.

GM changed synchromesh part numbers over the years;
The 'Newest' GM number is 88900333 for 'Standard' Synchromesh in the USA, which formerly was 12345349
{EDIT - Canada GM / ACDelco number is 89021808 for standard synchromesh}

And yes, many members like other brands of synchromesh 'better', however my research says that GM isn't the 'same' ......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a side note, some members commented that synchromesh helped for smoother shifting, but the fluid didn’t help the Getrag/Muncie ‘rattle’ (vibrations) of the unengaged gears.

I found a ‘recipe’ which says it will ‘tame’ or cure the noise but never tried it….
“Getrag Rattle Tamed Redline MT90 by Larryinkc”
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/136966.html

cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2023 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both GM and Valvoline Synchromesh did not tame the Getrag/Muncie "rattle" for me. I also tried Amsoil but with no success.

However, Royal Purple Synchromax got rid of the "rattle." I've been very happy with it.

[This message has been edited by cyrus88 (edited 12-25-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2023 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cyrus88:

However, Royal Purple Synchromax got rid of the "rattle."

Is it thicker than the others?

cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2023 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know for sure , but it did not appear to be thicker.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2023 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been tolerating the Getrag rattle for years in my Formula (although I hate the racket). I forget what oil I have in the transmission, although I believe it's synthetic 10w30.

From my January 2016 YouTube description...

I wanted to get a video of the sound of the 2.8L engine in my '88 Fiero with the newly installed CompCam 1.6 roller-tip rockers, but it's difficult to hear much of anything else over the clatter of the transmission! The notorious Getrag rattle... ugh. For anyone not familiar with this rattle, it's "normal" with this 5-spd tranny, and the sound disappears when the clutch is depressed.

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2023 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is the correct oil as pictured.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2023 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When stick trans is making noise just @ idle & out of gear...

Is very likely input shaft has bearings are "bad" or out of adjustment if can be adjusted @ all & oil type won't help much if any.

Many FWD GM sticks don't actually use crank pilot bushing/bearing often makes more problems because nothing but bearings in the trans centers the clutch disk & loads related to that.

Can also be iffy Throw Out Bearing as Hydro Clutches nearly always have the TOB touching the pressure plate "arms." Is Why This system have no clutch adjustment.
PFF
System Bot
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2023 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogt28: This is the correct oil as pictured.

Yes - GM / ACDelco Synchromesh Transmission Fluid
Canada GM / ACDelco number is 89021808
USA GM number is 88900333 or ACDelco 10-4006

Different Numbers - SAME Fluid!

USA Photo of GM / ACDelco Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 12-27-2023).]

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2023 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Vintage-Nut

982 posts
Member since Apr 2020

Patrick:
Is it (Royal Purple Synchromax) thicker than the others?

GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid is SAE 75W-80
Royal Purple Synchromax Fluid is 75W-90

"Synchromax is formulated with Royal Purple’s synthetic, proprietary Synerlecadditive technology, offering improved shift quality over a wide temperature range and
reduced gear noise."

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 12-27-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2023 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid is SAE 75W-80

Thanks for the info!

cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2023 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know where you got that from, but Royal Purple does not specify. Royal Purple states: "Royal Purple® Synchromax® is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid or other light-viscosity oil."

Anything that requires 75W-90, RP recommends their MAX GEAR 75W-90.

[This message has been edited by cyrus88 (edited 12-27-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2023 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cyrus88:

I don't know where you got that from, but Royal Purple does not specify.

Damn, why does this need to be so difficult.

Interesting that none*of the GM Synchromesh part numbers posted above are mentioned in Royal Purple's cross-reference Here.

[EDIT]*Incorrect

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-27-2023).]

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2023 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since I installed the Getrag in my Fiero I've only used Synchromesh (Pennzoil brand) and it shifts like a hot knife in butter, very smooth and never clunky whether I'm at full swing or just putting around. I do have an aftermarket Quaife limited slip in it.

No need for additive with this design.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2023 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

Since I installed the Getrag in my Fiero I've only used Synchromesh (Pennzoil brand) and it shifts like a hot knife in butter, very smooth and never clunky whether I'm at full swing or just putting around.

My Formula's Getrag shifts smooth as well (with I believe, synthetic 10w30)... but that's never been my issue. It's that damn rattle while out of gear with the clutch out. Do you have the rattle?

I've mentioned this before, years ago... but my Getrag never had the rattle until I let someone drive my Formula at autocross. They were unfamiliar with the car, and did several high rev 3rd gear launches off the line... and that's all it took for the damn Getrag rattle to manifest itself.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-27-2023).]

FormulaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2023 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaGTSend a Private Message to FormulaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Damn, why does this need to be so difficult.

Interesting that none of the GM Synchromesh part numbers posted above are mentioned in Royal Purple's cross-reference Here.

GM part # 12345349 I posted earlier crosses over to RP Synchromax on page 2 of link you provided.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2023 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FormulaGT:

GM part # 12345349 I posted earlier crosses over to RP Synchromax on page 2 of link you provided.

Ah, sorry... I was using the updated GM part numbers listed later in the thread. Thanks. At least now we have confirmation that Royal Purple Synchromax is indeed suitable to use in place of GM / ACDelco Synchromesh Transmission Fluid.
FormulaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2023 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaGTSend a Private Message to FormulaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No need to be sorry Patrick! Just trying to pass along information. I may try RP next time I change my trans fluid.
PFF
System Bot
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2023 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, Royal Purple Synchromax Fluid Cross Reference uses the older GM Synchromesh number 12345349, not the current GM numbers which are shown above.

You can contact Royal Purple’s Automotive Technical Support Dept. at 888-382-6300

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2023 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Vintage-Nut

982 posts
Member since Apr 2020
Only an Update

I edited my posts above to response 82-T/A's question: "what does the LSD additive do?" as I can’t find the thread which recommends adding 'Limited Slip Axle Lubricant Additive' when using standard GM Synchromesh Fluid.

Also remember the 'other' GM Fluid too: Synchromesh - Friction Modified (GM 88900399 / ACDelco 10-4014) which standard GM Synchromesh Fluid have less of FM.

USA Photo of GM / ACDelco Synchromesh - Friction Modified Fluid

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock