Vacuum tube mystery by john carter
Started on: 02-17-2024 12:51 PM
Replies: 10 (252 views)
Last post by: Vintage-Nut on 02-18-2024 11:02 AM
john carter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2024 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john carterSend a Private Message to john carterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am trying to find where a vacuum tube connects. It is one of the small plastic ones that comes out from under the plenum at the front of the engine. About 3 inches of the end I see curves in a half circle. I checked the diagram on the deck lid, and see no tube like it. All other tubes are in place. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2024 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by john carter:

I am trying to find where a vacuum tube connects. It is one of the small plastic ones that comes out from under the plenum at the front of the engine. About 3 inches of the end I see curves in a half circle. I checked the diagram on the deck lid, and see no tube like it. All other tubes are in place. Any ideas?

Can you take a picture with your phone and post it here?

Thanks!
Stingray92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2024 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dude,

year/engine would help. As far as the diagram it's not going to show sizes. As T/A stated a picture would help.

Let us know,

Thanks
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2024 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
john carter - 87 GT

Here is a photo of the V6 Vaccum Plastic Lines

V6 Vacuum Line Diagram

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 02-17-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2024 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

john carter - 87 GT

Here is a photo of the V6 Vaccum Plastic Lines

V6 Vacuum Line Diagram

I'm stealing both of these pictures!!!
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2024 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think PFF is about sharing information......
john carter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2024 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john carterSend a Private Message to john carterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[img]htt[img] <A Class="HTMLBodyLink" HREF="https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/john%2520carter/DSCN6263%5B1%5D.JPG[/img]ps://images.fiero.nl/userimages/john%2520carter/DSCN6262%5B1%5D.JPG[/img][img]https://images. fiero." TARGET=_
blank>https://images.fiero.nl/use...ttps://images.fiero.</A> nl/userimages/john%2520carter/DSCN6264%5B1%5D.JPG[/img]

[This message has been edited by john carter (edited 02-17-2024).]

Stingray92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2024 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like it might go to the pcv valve, I'm assuming the engine runs fine? Mine is a Duke so a little different setup but same in principle. If you got a mirror I think you might be able to get a glimpse of what it was connected to.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2024 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think 'this' is the smaller throttle body vacuum line which has been 'cut'....

IF it is true; connect it at the bottom of the EGR Solenoid

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 02-17-2024).]

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2024 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Vintage-Nut

926 posts
Member since Apr 2020

Pics of vacuum lines by john carter
These are the pics of the vacuum lines that area mystery. The smaller one with the white tape on it is the curved one coming from under the plenum. The one with the larger hole seems to go rearward and under.. Sorry for the weird posting. This is my first try at it! The pics are on my first posting....OOPS
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2024 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey John,
I hope you know now that this 'vacuum tube mystery' is one of the original plastic vacuum lines that has been cut/shorten and 'repaired' using rubber vacuum hose. The key is which vacuum line?

I'm guessing it's the smaller throttle body vacuum line and the rubber vacuum hose in your hand shown is going to the bottom port of the EGR Solenoid.

BTW - The original plastic vacuum lines under the plenum are flexible when disassembling or assembling parts; however, they can get brittle and break from age and/or heat.

Both Rodney Dickman and The Fiero Store offers V6 Vacuum Line Replacements:

Rodney's V6 Stainless Steel Vacuum Lines
https://rodneydickman.com/p...o.php?products_id=86

TFS Black Powder Coat Finish V6 Vacuum Line Set
https://www.fierostore.com/.../Detail.aspx?s=52389

However, these rigid steel lines have no "give" and are much harder to disassembly parts or aligning them when installing, especially the bigger tubes.

I made a 'Hybrid':
I cut the original plastic 'ends' with their rubber boots; then
Reduce/cut Rodney's V6 Stainless Steel Vacuum Lines, and
Connected and sealed the plastic and steel tubes with rubber vacuum hose which I.D. was slightly smaller than the plastic/steel O.D.
This Hybrid has enough flexibility so I can replace my PVC valve easily....

So, you can 'repair' your original plastic vacuum lines with rubber vacuum hose (spaghetti method) using the diagram;
or replace them with these vacuum line sets.....

You're 'good to go'?

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 02-18-2024).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay