84-86 coupe nose on an 86-87 GT? by dizzie
Started on: 05-17-2024 11:21 AM
Replies: 18 (221 views)
Last post by: dizzie on 06-26-2024 10:55 AM
dizzie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dizzieSend a Private Message to dizzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been scouring the forums, but haven't found an answer to this - How difficult would it be to put the nose of a base model 84-86 coupe onto an 86 or 87 GT? I like the nose of the early coupes, but the fastback and options of the later GT models. I'd look to get everything repainted once in place. Also - are the coupe (non-SE) noses from 85-86 pretty much the same? Looks like they might have changed the base coupe nose in 87 (or 86.5?) from what I'm seeing, though it's hard to tell.
Thanks!
- Diz
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dizzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizzieSend a Private Message to dizzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On second thought, it looks like the moulding might not really match - it seems the 84-86 coupe noses have grooved/ ribbed moulding. As much as I like the earlier coupe noses, I may have to use the nose of an 87 coupe as a compromise. Or - could I replace the moulding on an 84-86 coupe nose with the moulding from the nose of an 87 coupe? Sorry if I'm using the wrong terms for the base models.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The molding around the front of the nose is molded into the nose.

Whatever you do, be sure to use the proper air ducting, rubber flaps and lower air dam under the radiator.

The aero nose (Indy, GT, later SE) is a bottom breather, whereas the bumper pad and 87-88 coupe/Formula nose is a mouth breather.
dizzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizzieSend a Private Message to dizzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The molding around the front of the nose is molded into the nose.

Whatever you do, be sure to use the proper air ducting, rubber flaps and lower air dam under the radiator.

The aero nose (Indy, GT, later SE) is a bottom breather, whereas the bumper pad and 87-88 coupe/Formula nose is a mouth breather.

Great points - thanks for that. If I get a bumper from a junkyard, it sounds like I'll have to be sure to get these parts off separately.
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dizzie:

On second thought, it looks like the moulding might not really match - it seems the 84-86 coupe noses have grooved/ ribbed moulding. As much as I like the earlier coupe noses, I may have to use the nose of an 87 coupe as a compromise. Or - could I replace the moulding on an 84-86 coupe nose with the moulding from the nose of an 87 coupe? Sorry if I'm using the wrong terms for the base models.

on my 84 somebody hacked my moulding off and actually made it bolt on for some reason, it all fits and works together I think the only different stuff is a 86-88 gt roof and decklid
I know from the doors forwards is all the same bolt holes also I have grooved mounding on my formula and I barely notice it so as long as you use an SE nose which is identical to a gt other than a few small things it'll look mostly correct
dizzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizzieSend a Private Message to dizzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cartercarbaficionado:

on my 84 somebody hacked my moulding off and actually made it bolt on for some reason, it all fits and works together I think the only different stuff is a 86-88 gt roof and decklid
I know from the doors forwards is all the same bolt holes also I have grooved mounding on my formula and I barely notice it so as long as you use an SE nose which is identical to a gt other than a few small things it'll look mostly correct

Ok thanks for the perspective! I'm actually having a lot of second thoughts because it seems like the lower door moulding is much different on the 85 coupe than the 86 GT, and I kind of want that lower contrasting stripe across the bottom of the car. I saw in this thread where some people pulled it off in different ways with different paint jobs, though.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And the impact absorption egg crate material is different as well.

[EDIT] Plus the plastic wheel well liners.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-18-2024).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

And the impact absorption egg crate material is different as well.

Yup, I forgot to mention that.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok thanks for the perspective! I'm actually having a lot of second thoughts because it seems like the lower door moulding is much different on the 85 coupe than the 86 GT, and I kind of want that lower contrasting stripe across the bottom of the car. I saw in this thread where some people pulled it off in different ways with different paint jobs, though.

It'll all fit, you'll just need to get all the parts from the 85-86, including the rocker panel (which is what you mean by the lower door molding).

The trim molding on the door and quarter panel will also swap out, and then use the one that matches the 85-86 front and rear bumpers that you use. You'll want to get one from an 85-86 SE 2m6 because it'll already have the dual exhaust notched cut-out.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm actually having a lot of second thoughts because it seems like the lower door moulding is much different on the 85 coupe than the 86 GT, and I kind of want that lower contrasting stripe across the bottom of the car.

Okay, I'm confused. You were initially asking about swapping out the nose of the car. So how is the "lower door moulding" now a part of this process?
dizzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2024 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizzieSend a Private Message to dizzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

It'll all fit, you'll just need to get all the parts from the 85-86, including the rocker panel (which is what you mean by the lower door molding).

The trim molding on the door and quarter panel will also swap out, and then use the one that matches the 85-86 front and rear bumpers that you use. You'll want to get one from an 85-86 SE 2m6 because it'll already have the dual exhaust notched cut-out.

Hey that's expert advice on a slick way to get it all done - I do appreciate it.
PFF
System Bot
dizzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2024 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizzieSend a Private Message to dizzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dizzie

60 posts
Member since May 2024

Okay, I'm confused. You were initially asking about swapping out the nose of the car. So how is the "lower door moulding" now a part of this process?

I can appreciate the confusion Patrick, lol! It's just that the rocker panel on the fastback GTs seems to integrate with the nose in a way that might not quite be there when adding a coupe nose. Plus, I like the wider rocker panel on the GT a lot more than the coupe and would want to keep it. Reference photos:

2m4 coupe rocker:

GT fastback rocker:

[This message has been edited by dizzie (edited 05-18-2024).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2024 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dizzie, your images reminded me that the front plastic wheel well liners would also need to be added to the list of required parts for a nose swap.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2024 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

37420 posts
Member since Apr 99

I like the nose of the early coupes, but the fastback and options of the later GT models. I'd look to get everything repainted once in place. Also - are the coupe (non-SE) noses from 85-86 pretty much the same? Looks like they might have changed the base coupe nose in 87 (or 86.5?) from what I'm seeing, though it's hard to tell.

...the rocker panel on the fastback GTs seems to integrate with the nose in a way that might not quite be there when adding a coupe nose. Plus, I like the wider rocker panel on the GT a lot more than the coupe and would want to keep it.

Years ago, I was interested in doing something similar... combining an '87-'88 coupe/Formula nose with aero side trim. One of the photoshopped images that was created by forum member 85SEnochie was the following. So yes, it's difficult to continue the lines of the aero trim forward onto a coupe nose (of any year).

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2024 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When i converted from the bumper pad on my 84 to the aero nose, i used the air dam from the bumper pad and modified it to fit the aero nose. imho it is better than the original aero nose air ducting as it is angled and better able to push air into the radiator. i have never had an overheating issue after installing the aero nose - of course i live in Canada - not in Texas. The best thing is a hood vent tho - i can feel the hot air coming off my radiator even at rest as it thermo siphons upwards thru the hood vent. Its great as well keeping the nose glued to the ground at freeway speeds.

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 3800SC, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

dizzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2024 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizzieSend a Private Message to dizzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dizzie, your images reminded me that the front plastic wheel well liners would also need to be added to the list of required parts for a nose swap.

Gotcha, thanks. Haha, this is definitely beginning to sound like it isn't worth it for me personally
dizzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2024 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizzieSend a Private Message to dizzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dizzie

60 posts
Member since May 2024

Years ago, I was interested in doing something similar... combining an '87-'88 coupe/Formula nose with aero side trim. One of the photoshopped images that was created by forum member 85SEnochie was the following. So yes, it's difficult to continue the lines of the aero trim forward onto a coupe nose (of any year).

That's a really nice mockup job. The combo itself doesn't look too bad, all in all.
dizzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2024 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizzieSend a Private Message to dizzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dizzie

60 posts
Member since May 2024

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

When i converted from the bumper pad on my 84 to the aero nose, i used the air dam from the bumper pad and modified it to fit the aero nose. imho it is better than the original aero nose air ducting as it is angled and better able to push air into the radiator. i have never had an overheating issue after installing the aero nose - of course i live in Canada - not in Texas. The best thing is a hood vent tho - i can feel the hot air coming off my radiator even at rest as it thermo siphons upwards thru the hood vent. Its great as well keeping the nose glued to the ground at freeway speeds.

Haha nice, I love the literally cool hack. I'd also love to see the exact type of hood vent you're talking about - sounds interesting and functional.
dizzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2024 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dizzieSend a Private Message to dizzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Resurrecting this thread to pose the opposite question:

Would it be just as problematic/ difficult to take a bumper pad Fiero coupe/ SE and swap in a GT fastback top back panel and decklid (assuming I could get my hands on GT tail lights)? Would the bumper need changed?

Honestly, if the bumper would have to be changed, that may kind of kill the look due to the lower moulding on the GT bumper being a mismatch for the notchback rocker panels.

Thanks!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock