Should i buy this fiero? by ThatDumby
Started on: 05-21-2024 03:47 PM
Replies: 27 (483 views)
Last post by: Additivewalnut on 06-18-2024 03:48 PM
ThatDumby

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2024 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatDumbySend a Private Message to ThatDumbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im just wondering if this Fiero is a steal or is it a bad idea for me.

It’s a 1985 4 cylinder 4 speed with 54k miles. The inside is incredibly nice and the outside is fine enough. One big problem is that it’s been sitting since 1999. The guy says he was able to turn the engine over manually. He wants 1,350 for it and i think it’s a good idea. is there any other things i’d need to do besides brakes, fluids, and filters?

I’ve never worked on cars before but this is one of my favorites so i’m willing to learn 🙏🏼 Do you guys think it’s worth it?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2024 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will learn a lot on this project....
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2024 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ThatDumby:

Im just wondering if this Fiero is a steal or is it a bad idea for me.

It’s a 1985 4 cylinder 4 speed with 54k miles. The inside is incredibly nice and the outside is fine enough. One big problem is that it’s been sitting since 1999. The guy says he was able to turn the engine over manually. He wants 1,350 for it and i think it’s a good idea. is there any other things i’d need to do besides brakes, fluids, and filters?

I’ve never worked on cars before but this is one of my favorites so i’m willing to learn 🙏🏼 Do you guys think it’s worth it?

So, that is a 1984 2m4 4-Speed. It looks VERY complete. If it doesn't have any perceivable rust, then I think it's a steal, and definitely something you could learn on. It's a very simple motor to work on, and there are plenty of parts available for it. There's nothing overtly complicated. My opinion is yes... but I'd have to assume that even with 54k miles, you're likely going to have to go through the entire car. It won't just be fluids, brakes, filters. My guess is that the fuel pump is also likely done for after sitting for this long, and you'll probably also want to change out all the hoses too. But it's something you can take your time with.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2024 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I’ve never worked on cars before... Do you guys think it’s worth it?

Depends... do you want a car to drive, or do you want an expensive project that may take ages (if ever) to be roadworthy.

Buying a non-running car is a total crapshoot with very little odds in your favor.

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2024 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy the car.

Even if you can't get it running, for $1350, how can you go wrong?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2024 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

...for $1350, how can you go wrong?

That's just the start.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2024 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like any "dead" automobile, it will cost a lot of money with a lot of issues, and this is an expensive 'hobby'.

If your desire is to purchase a Fiero, you need to really understand the outlay or expenditure as of effort or sacrifice of owning a fairly rare mid-engine classic sport car....

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

jumpmonkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2024 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jumpmonkeySend a Private Message to jumpmonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the project ends up taking a turn for the worse(finding an issue that is out of your price range/experience to solve), you can always sell the parts and likely make your money back.

It does look pretty clean. I would say that most people would jump on it for $1350.

But as the almighty Patrick says, there are always unforeseen issues on a vehicle that is bought non-running.
ThatDumby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2024 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatDumbySend a Private Message to ThatDumbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

You will learn a lot on this project....

yeah i bought it and so far it’s been a fun project, i’ve learned a lot only working on it a couple days. Very hard cause i have no prior experience. 🙏🏼
Stingray92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2024 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'll likely find suspension issues, leaks, and probably some other things once you get it running. Some good info on here, take your time, do the research and you'll learn lots.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2024 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yeah i bought it and so far it’s been a fun project, i’ve learned a lot only working on it a couple days. Very hard cause i have no prior experience. 🙏🏼

Good call. You'll learn a lot.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2024 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One big problem is that it’s been sitting since 1999.

You're no doubt a long way from this point... but before you even get close to starting the engine, make absolutely sure to clean out the inside of the HVAC air box. There's a resistor for the fan in there that gets very hot. It's also a location where rodents like to get in and build a nest. I'll let you guess what happens when the fan is activated while the nesting material is still in place.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-04-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2024 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You're no doubt a long way from this point... but before you even get close to starting the engine, make absolutely sure to clean out the inside of the HVAC air box. There's a resistor for the fan in there that gets very hot. It's also a location where rodents like to get in and build a nest. I'll let you guess what happens when the fan is activated while the nesting material is still in place.

Shoot... put some new front wheels on that, and it's ready to go!!!
jumpmonkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2024 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jumpmonkeySend a Private Message to jumpmonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes! Check that ASAP! This thread, Where can mice get into a Fiero, has some good info. Getting rid of all nests is also good for eliminating any rodent odor.

ThatDumby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2024 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatDumbySend a Private Message to ThatDumbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jumpmonkey:

Yes! Check that ASAP! This thread, Where can mice get into a Fiero, has some good info. Getting rid of all nests is also good for eliminating any rodent odor.

Thank you i appreciate that. I completely forgot that there would be any problems with it sitting besides just the engine.
ThatDumby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2024 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatDumbySend a Private Message to ThatDumbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ThatDumby

13 posts
Member since May 2024
Thought id update everybody.

I bought the car, so far i found issues with the clutch where it was stuck down and wouldnt come back up. Turns out the slave cylinder was seized and then the master cylinder was bent. Next I welded the transmission cable bracket piece thing back together because it was broken, the issue is i have no idea how the cables were supposed to lay in the engine so they kinda just sit there for right now so i dont know if the transmission is messed up yet

I bought the clutch slave and master cylinder from Rodney, and I ordered new select and shift cables from him too just incase (i dont know about the whole selling his business thing and everyone is saying hes the best so i bought just incase) Anyway i also bought some other stuff like all new brakes, oil+filter, gas filter, and an air filter.

im 2600 deep right now. It is just a project car i daily a 23 tacoma

Thanks for your help and for reading
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2024 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
non running 84, he should pay you to take it. No offense to 84 owners, but it is what it is.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2024 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jelly2m8

6231 posts
Member since Jul 2001

Thought id update everybody.

im 2600 deep right now. It is just a project car i daily a 23 tacoma

Thanks for your help and for reading

My point exactly, your already 2X in and you don't have a driver
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2024 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can find just fixing the brakes can be pushing $1000 just in parts & that's even if can find good rebuilt calipers more so rears.
very likely need, minimum:
calipers
rotors, front wheel bearings & seals
good pads like Wanger TQ
hoses, not SS hose, see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129208.html
P-brake cables to rear wheels or all 3.
MC

Hope the combi valve is good because can't buy them.

See https://web.archive.org/web...cast.net/~fierocave/ brake section, front wheel bearing, etc.

Many say cut the rotor... Most shops won't turn any rotor w/ big rust & some other problems because can "eat" the cuter tips or hit Machine To before can get a good surface. Machine To is before Scrap spec printed on the rotor/drum & that limit is only in "books" from Wanger etc. Even if they Cut them cost nearly same as new rotors @ most shops.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

jumpmonkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2024 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jumpmonkeySend a Private Message to jumpmonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:
My point exactly, your already 2X in and you don't have a driver

Although it's true that he's already doubled how much money has been put into the project, he still hasn't breached how much a running Fiero costs on places like Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace. There are some here and there for under $3K, but the majority of the time, their paint is messed up/faded and the interior is totally trashed. For a well put-together Fiero that drives, you're looking at upwards of $4-5K(at least in my area and what I've found with online searches).

According to ThatDumby, the interior is awesome and the exterior doesn't look bad. You could view it as a total moneypit, but in my opinion, I think he could get it up and running for less than purchasing an already running Fiero. On top of that, he's gets the enjoyment of a working on a project and the satisfaction of solving the issues that are keeping it off the road.

There are a lot of threads on Pennock's about bringing a Fiero back to life and they are very inspiring. This awesome YouTube series by Ronald Finger is a great documentation of taking an abandoned Fiero and totally restoring it. It's what encouraged me to buy my project Fiero.

It's all about point-of-view.
Brian A

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2024 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian ASend a Private Message to Brian AEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Although it's true that he's already doubled how much money has been put into the project, he still hasn't breached how much a running Fiero costs on places like Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace. There are some here and there for under $3K, but the majority of the time, their paint is messed up/faded and the interior is totally trashed. For a well put-together Fiero that drives, you're looking at upwards of $4-5K(at least in my area and what I've found with online searches).

According to ThatDumby, the interior is awesome and the exterior doesn't look bad. You could view it as a total moneypit, but in my opinion, I think he could get it up and running for less than purchasing an already running Fiero. On top of that, he's gets the enjoyment of a working on a project and the satisfaction of solving the issues that are keeping it off the road.

There are a lot of threads on Pennock's about bringing a Fiero back to life and they are very inspiring. This awesome YouTube series by Ronald Finger is a great documentation of taking an abandoned Fiero and totally restoring it. It's what encouraged me to buy my project Fiero.

I completely agree. Yeah, nice interior and good paint counts for a lot. It is too easy to judge the value of a car solely by its commuter utility.

There are so many aspects to the car hobby. I am always amazed by the people, such as the hotrod crowd, who spend years building their hotrod. They spend buckets of money yet immediately lose interest when it is finished and sell it for a loss and move onto something else.

There is the joy of getting something working that previously was dead. I've now resurrected a Fiero too (1987 GT 5-sp V6), with a goal of doing HPDE days with it, and am really happy with what I've built. The utility and cost of the work I've done doesn't matter much to me (although costs have been pretty reasonable) (I'm all-in for about $7k).

[This message has been edited by Brian A (edited 06-06-2024).]

PFF
System Bot
ThatDumby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2024 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatDumbySend a Private Message to ThatDumbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think i could get 7-8 but I don't really wanna sell it anytime soon. So far i see really trash ones with engine knock for 2k. There is a 1986 48k miles 305 v8 with nitrous for 12k which i think is insane.

It is a 1984 but its #3 on my dream car list (1999 Dodge Viper ACR #1 and 2002 Trans Am #2) Its really about the journey of fixing it up and making it mine that's more worth it to me especially one that's low miles and clean. Also so far this Fiero community is really nice i like how you guys have been here talking longer then ive been alive

I binged watched the whole series the day before i bought my fiero
ThatDumby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2024 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatDumbySend a Private Message to ThatDumbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ThatDumby

13 posts
Member since May 2024

Originally posted by theogre:

You can find just fixing the brakes can be pushing $1000 just in parts & that's even if can find good rebuilt calipers more so rears.
very likely need, minimum:
calipers
rotors, front wheel bearings & seals
good pads like Wanger TQ
hoses, not SS hose, see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129208.html
P-brake cables to rear wheels or all 3.
MC

Hope the combi valve is good because can't buy them.

See https://web.archive.org/web...cast.net/~fierocave/ brake section, front wheel bearing, etc.

Many say cut the rotor... Most shops won't turn any rotor w/ big rust & some other problems because can "eat" the cuter tips or hit Machine To before can get a good surface. Machine To is before Scrap spec printed on the rotor/drum & that limit is only in "books" from Wanger etc. Even if they Cut them cost nearly same as new rotors @ most shops.

I spent i think 450 so far on calipers rotors and brake pads. I have no idea what a combi valve is so hopefully when i get to it its alright
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2024 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So far i see really trash ones with engine knock for 2k.

That's one of the major pitfalls of buying a non-running car. You have absolutely no idea what condition the engine (transmission/clutch, brakes, suspension, etc) is in. You can't believe anything the previous owner might have to say.

I think i could get 7-8 but I don't really wanna sell it anytime soon.

...which would be a pretty crappy investment if it takes $10,000 and untold man-hours to get this car functional.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-06-2024).]

ThatDumby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2024 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatDumbySend a Private Message to ThatDumbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...which would be a pretty crappy investment if it takes $10,000 and untold man-hours to get this car functional.

Not gonna lie if it doesn’t work out i’m engine swapping 😭. Also i see a 1984 fiero with like a 4/10 interior and 7/10 paint for 5500 with 118k miles 🙏🏼

Honestly im not looking to invest in it to make money i just like the car. But profit is always good
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2024 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a fun project. I bought my 87GT with a sagging headliner, pealing paint, ripped seats, broken sail panels, and cracked tail lights. Oh, also...it didnt run (I didn't know if it would) and the old shift cables (btw, good choice buying from RD) were frozen, so I had no idea if the 5spd shifted. It's been a fun project, often times challenging but it's a great feeling of accomplishment. Thoughts for your project:

Ask as many questions as you want on here. Many many people with TONS of experience. If someone tries to dissuade you from doing something, it's probably because they've "been there, done that" and are looking out for your best interest. However, if you go for it anyway, we'll still help you through.

Try to do one project at a time, otherwise it may get overwhelming.

Take lots of pics. and share em if you can. We love seeing the progress.

Resources...Rodney Dickman (as you already know), Rockauto, The Fierostore.

As for mine, a new fuel pump got it running and new cables got it shifting. I've pretty much gone through the whole car now, keeping it as stock as possible. Now has 276k miles on it and I just returned from a 400 mile drive. I love my POS. Wish you the best of luck with your project.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2024 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the car starts and runs fine then its a fair deal but any 30+ yr old automobile will need considerable work. At the minimum; hoses, wires/ignition parts, plugs, belts, tires, shocks, bushings, exhaust items/CAT and maintenance items. You already know about the brakes and I would recommend that you check the rack and pinions for tightness. All things can be fixed but the value of the car must be weighed against restoration costs.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2024 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I picked up a parts car that looked like that on the inside due to the blower motor, it was pretty scary. Good thing I just needed the transmission and gas tank.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock