hot cooling lines by itzikbns
Started on: 06-15-2024 10:40 AM
Replies: 15 (256 views)
Last post by: itzikbns on 07-19-2024 09:37 AM
itzikbns

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2024 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for itzikbnsSend a Private Message to itzikbnsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi,
My 86 SE, 2.8L has isolation foam on the hot cooling pipes that runs under the car to the front, they look bad and I like to take them off. my understanding is that the isolation is to prevent heat from entering the cabinet, and if so, I can put isolation material between the lines and the floor, I belive it might be even better for the coolent heat dissipation if I take off the pipes isolation. I feel that I am missing something.... please advice
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Yellow-88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2024 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow-88Send a Private Message to Yellow-88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi

No you aren't missing anything. Naked tubes are "radiators" so they may warm the cabin a tiny bit but ...... is that an issue?
In really hot climates one needs all the cooling one can get.
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2024 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That specific insulation is there for a good reason, that is on the heater core feed pipe, to keep the coolant hot on its long trip to the cabin heater. If heater performance is not necessary, don't worry about removing it, otherwise, just leave it. I don't know how much it actually effects coolant temperature.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2024 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by itzikbns:

Hi,
My 86 SE, 2.8L has isolation foam on the hot cooling pipes that runs under the car to the front, they look bad and I like to take them off. my understanding is that the isolation is to prevent heat from entering the cabinet, and if so, I can put isolation material between the lines and the floor, I belive it might be even better for the coolent heat dissipation if I take off the pipes isolation. I feel that I am missing something.... please advice

The lines running next to the fuel tank are not coolant lines.

The pair on the driver's side are for the air-conditioning, the pair on the passenger side are for the heater core.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 570
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2024 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Removing rotted insulation w/o replacing can heat the fuel tank cause problems w/ that.

Heated fuel tank means more fumes force out & EVAP canister etc may not trap enough of those fumes & wave bye bye to fuel money.

Likely can replace w/ high density close foam plumping insulation but often the big box stores don't have.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

itzikbns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2024 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for itzikbnsSend a Private Message to itzikbnsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all for all your fruitful and provisional inputs, I need to evaluate what's needed in case of taking them of (heat protection for the fuel tank and cabinet), I think the cost in the cabinet heat lost is not critical since I leave in a relatively warm weather country

Does you cars still has it? is there safe way of replacing the pipes isolation or it's a too risky job?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2024 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replacing the insulation requires:

Car in the air
Remove spaceframe reinforcement plate
Remove brackets ( 2 per side)
Pull lines down to gain access
Remove and replace insulation
Reverse procedure

Don't get too crazy handling the lines when doing the insulation.
The less they are moved, better.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2024 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
depending on year & engine may need to remove more things to drop the lines.
Example: 84-87 heater have a small plastic hold metal lines just before meets the hoses to h-core. Another on back.
Worse, many have a "clip joint" in back similar to 87-88 4cyl input manifold that often gets pissed "just looking wrong" @ it & leaks or fails requiring replacement parts likely hard to find so many are force to bypass w/ straight hose.

see https://web.archive.org/web...erocave/heatmelt.htm
Works same but "Straight thru" connecting.

Likely "Best" insulation here in slotted type that have attach glue to self seal without a lot of stress for the pipes.
But that's for standard sizes to fit. Heater is ~ 3/4"/19mm outside so that should work but maybe not for AC lines.

Want HD Close Foam so keeps road crap out & better insulation for a given size.
itzikbns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2024 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for itzikbnsSend a Private Message to itzikbnsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
spaceframe reinforcement plate - which plate is that? where is it?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2024 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by itzikbns:

spaceframe reinforcement plate - which plate is that? where is it?

It is the big bowtie shaped plate under the middle of the gas tank. 4 bolts, 13mm heads
itzikbns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2024 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for itzikbnsSend a Private Message to itzikbnsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi,
I have found and order a product that will allow replacing the old foam without disassembling the pipes

https://www.aliexpress.com/...in.33.21ef180240dPs3
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2024 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI Itzikbns, I've never been to Israel, but I know here in the states we have large hardware stores like Lowes and Home Depot. There, you can purchase A/C line insulation. It looks like this:

It's effectively identical to what's already on the Fiero's cooling pipes already. They have different interior and exterior diameters, so you'll just want to figure out what the correct size shoudl be. In either case, the insulation has a slit down the center, and you can slide it on on one side, and then remove the adhesive backing and stick the two sides together. It should last, but you may want to run a few zip ties every 6"s or so to keep it from separating while it's in the car. This is what I plan to do when I get to that point with my daughter's car.

As someone mentioned, there should be 4 pipes down there. One set is for the heater core, in which case the FEED line (hottest line) should be insulated so that your heater core works. The other set is for the A/C, the pressure line (coolest line) should have insulation on it to ensure that the cold temperature makes it to the fan box.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2024 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
⚠️ If that holds road crap & "Water" in it...
Aluminum tubing will hate this & often sooner not latter. Can fail @ the steel brackets etc as "water" is electrolyte eats those areas fast.

Example: see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/146198.html Hidden Fuel and Coolant Leaks

Is Why I said HD Close Cell Foam because "water" etc doesn't go thru it.

That & others Might work in the Engine bay for some vehicles, the pipes are Under the car & gets hit hard enough to push crap thru any tiny hole.
Sim problem w/ people using most Exhaust wraps then wonder why the pipes Fail. "Water" getting in when cool + E-pipes get way hot even "glowing" causes more rust & stress.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2024 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32520 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
As someone mentioned, there should be 4 pipes down there. One set is for the heater core, in which case the FEED line (hottest line) should be insulated so that your heater core works. The other set is for the A/C, the pressure line (coolest line) should have insulation on it to ensure that the cold temperature makes it to the fan box.
You & others are Wrong.
AC lines are:
Hot Compress Refrigerant from the Compressor.
"Cold" Return line from the Evaporator.

Has Nothing to do w/ AC getting cold.

Hot line Maybe Insulated to stop heating other things like Fuel Tank. Most systems the High Side is rarely have insulation on lines.
"Cold" return line on Low side in nearly all systems is Insulated for several things but obvious to most prevent Condensate that "leak" on everything. I'm told helps efficacy as long return can suck in more Heat making Compressor & Condenser working harder to cool the Evaporator.

Are Correct that in Fiero, Heat loop to the Core is Insulated just because that line is Metal & Long to the Core & can get very cold in winter so Core never gets Hot as need to be. About the only other vehicle w/ long heater pipes I know of are Heater in the back of School buses etc are plumbed into the engine cooling system.
Return Line is just Plastic Coated to prevent "rust" on outside.
itzikbns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2024 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for itzikbnsSend a Private Message to itzikbnsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just noticed that my link does not lead to the product , hear is the image, it has a fiberglass layer and looks like easy to install

itzikbns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2024 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for itzikbnsSend a Private Message to itzikbnsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assembled the fiberglass covers, they have exalent heat protection, up to 1300 f and were easy to use, I think it's not too shabby....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock