Spark plugs & Wires by Yellow-88
Started on: 06-22-2024 01:09 PM
Replies: 17 (271 views)
Last post by: Yellow-88 on 07-01-2024 09:43 PM
Yellow-88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2024 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow-88Send a Private Message to Yellow-88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the latest on plugs and wires?
I'm at 107,000 miles and there are a couple of mouse chews showing up. No obvious symptoms but .... I think it's time.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2024 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Yellow-88:

I'm at 107,000 miles and there are a couple of mouse chews showing up. No obvious symptoms but .... I think it's time.

bigger the better for wires in my experience with Gms at this point. also the auto parts store wires don't fit right.
I forget the plug specified but for the area I'm in I decided to go a step hotter because of the higher ethanol content of the Gas to try and help keep carbon out if my cylinders and it's been working though I think my injectors hate the new 15 percent mix they put out everywhere
Yellow-88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2024 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow-88Send a Private Message to Yellow-88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cartercarbaficionado:

bigger the better for wires in my experience with Gms at this point. also the auto parts store wires don't fit right.
I forget the plug specified but for the area I'm in I decided to go a step hotter because of the higher ethanol content of the Gas to try and help keep carbon out if my cylinders and it's been working though I think my injectors hate the new 15 percent mix they put out everywhere

Bigger, meaning thicker insulation?

Auto parts stores wires don't fit?

Ethanol content effects plug temp range?

Your injectors "hate" 15% ethanol?

I'm looking at AC Delco "Professional", 8mm, silicon insulation with fiberglass reinforcement, specified for a 2.8 Liter Fiero V6, and Delco platinum plugs for the same engine, from NAPA auto parts .... because the local Pontiac dealer closed. ( !! ) Am I halfway on the right page or not? Anybody wanna jump in?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2024 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The standard copper core plugs are the way to go.

We have been using Summit Racing wires for years in the shop - excellent quality, easy assembly, great exterior burn resistance and they are available in red
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2024 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right get them from summit, I also got a kit so I could shorten a couple.

Plus you can use the factory heat shields.

There was a guy who made wires for the V6 that fit perfectly. Don't know if he is still around.

[This message has been edited by hunter29 (edited 06-25-2024).]

hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2024 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hunter29

357 posts
Member since Feb 2020
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2024 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bigger, meaning thicker insulation?

Auto parts stores wires don't fit?

Ethanol content effects plug temp range?

Your injectors "hate" 15% ethanol?

I'm looking at AC Delco "Professional", 8mm, silicon insulation with fiberglass reinforcement, specified for a 2.8 Liter Fiero V6, and Delco platinum plugs for the same engine, from NAPA auto parts .... because the local Pontiac dealer closed. ( !! ) Am I halfway on the right page or not? Anybody wanna jump in?

yeah thicker insulation, I like just buying the holley 10 mm wires on clearance and shortening them since the auto parts stuff is either way too long or 3 inches too short to route properly.
yeah? ethanol changes the speed and temp of the combustion cycle meaning I need to go up or down a heat range to keep carbon down especially when my state jumps from 5 percent to 15 percent which is enough to start damaging the shellac coatings in older gm injectors
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2024 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Yellow, did you ever end up running Seafoam? Just curious...
Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2024 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm a bit partial (I do work for Standard), but these are great wires at a great price - including the option of ceramic boots. These were developed (and still used by some) N@SC@R teams. We don't advertise as such because we would have to pay to use a certain trademark. I think some folks pass on them because they are "too cheap" on RockAuto.

More info here:
https://www.standardbrand.c...eak-performance-wire
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2024 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Craig71188:

I'm a bit partial (I do work for Standard), but these are great wires at a great price - including the option of ceramic boots. These were developed (and still used by some) N@SC@R teams. We don't advertise as such because we would have to pay to use a certain trademark. I think some folks pass on them because they are "too cheap" on RockAuto.

More info here:
https://www.standardbrand.c...eak-performance-wire

My dad has those, and I really wanted to buy them, but I wanted/needed red cables, ended up spending $100 on Taylor red cables, but if you could offer those blue streak cables in red, I would turn around and buy them tomorrow. I'm sure many other customers would prefer the red cables to, as that is the factory color.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to clear coat/paint the external core on this: STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS DR37, ignition coil, as it flash rusted within a few days, which really doesn't look good.

You're probably not "the guy" to talk to about this, but if you were able to pass this information on, Standard would gain more customers, and happier ones (ignition coil cosmetically rusting is horrible for customer satisfaction)
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2024 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock/Daily Driver or "Hot Rod"?

Members have different views about the subject and of course, opinions vary.......

Spark Wires:
If you want to use the stock plastic spark wire dividers, don't buy 'bigger' wires.

Spark Plugs:
The standard copper core plugs are 'hotter' than platinum plugs, but copper needs to replace more often.

My Daily Driver Set-Up:
50k volt ignition coil / 7mm wires / platinum plugs

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

PFF
System Bot
Yellow-88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2024 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow-88Send a Private Message to Yellow-88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks every body.

I ended up with Standard Motor Products PN #5543. The specs look very similar to the fancy ones at half the price. Also the wire lengths listed in the spec sheet are very, vary close to the OEM numbers. They are 7mm so they fit the stock separators. For plugs I went with ACDelco Platinum. The cap and rotor are Delco. The new parts should arrive tomorrow.

My original wires went 107,000 miles and only leak where the mouse chewed the insulation. No visible arcing in the dark but obvious when I touched the mouse bite. The plugs in it are Bosh with a center electrode and 4 ground tabs instead of the typical 1. ( ?? ) They are still light tan and not very worn.

I think the new stuff will be just fine. Am I missing anything?
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2024 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yellow-88:
I think the new stuff will be just fine. Am I missing anything?

One thing to check as you're looking......the distributor base with the engine block.

This area often leaks engine oil when the 'rubber' seal {O-ring} gets old or hard.
FormulaGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2024 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaGTSend a Private Message to FormulaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Original 36 ish year old wires with 107K? I think ANY replacement wire set will be an improvement! My relatively new to me '88 GT that had been sitting for 13 years before I got it received original ACDELCO R42TS plugs and the above mentioned Standard Motor Products wire set part #10057. I re-sized the wires as most are too long. It was actually relatively easy to do with a little youtube help and proper tools. Other than color correct, they seem like an exceptional upgrade over stock for relatively cheap. So far with 1K miles on it I have had no issues. I have learned in the past that anything other than stock plugs invite issues with other Fiero's I have owned. I tried Rapid Fire plugs and / or Platinums way back when and it was a disaster. Stick with OEM plugs. Seriously. That is my experience. Yours may be different. Best of luck!

[This message has been edited by FormulaGT (edited 06-27-2024).]

Yellow-88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2024 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow-88Send a Private Message to Yellow-88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FormulaGT:

Original 36 ish year old wires with 107K? I think ANY replacement wire set will be an improvement! My relatively new to me '88 GT that had been sitting for 13 years before I got it received original ACDELCO R42TS plugs and the above mentioned Standard Motor Products wire set part #10057. I re-sized the wires as most are too long. It was actually relatively easy to do with a little youtube help and proper tools. Other than color correct, they seem like an exceptional upgrade over stock for relatively cheap. So far with 1K miles on it I have had no issues. I have learned in the past that anything other than stock plugs invite issues with other Fiero's I have owned. I tried Rapid Fire plugs and / or Platinums way back when and it was a disaster. Stick with OEM plugs. Seriously. That is my experience. Yours may be different. Best of luck!

Hi.

Yeah .... it is remarkable. The old plugs really do look fairly OK. In the 60's 100 K was pretty much time for what was called an "overhaul". Spark plugs were consumables back then. Those of us on a budget would clean and re-gap them. Does anyone on the forum remember breaker points? Anybody still have a point file in their toolbox?

Yellow is coming out of a 5 year coma from being on jack stands outside. ( !!! ) He is cleaning up nicely but there are some issues popping up. I haven't installed them yet but I'm sure new plugs and wires will be OK.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2024 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hi.

Yeah .... it is remarkable. The old plugs really do look fairly OK. In the 60's 100 K was pretty much time for what was called an "overhaul". Spark plugs were consumables back then. Those of us on a budget would clean and re-gap them. Does anyone on the forum remember breaker points? Anybody still have a point file in their toolbox?

Yellow is coming out of a 5 year coma from being on jack stands outside. ( !!! ) He is cleaning up nicely but there are some issues popping up. I haven't installed them yet but I'm sure new plugs and wires will be OK.

Tach/Dwell meter, points files, feeler gages for setting points, various counterweight and spring sets for setting rate of advance.......

Yeah, I got it all.

Need some drum brake tools? I can help there as well.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2024 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hi.

I have a "set ?" of points in my toolbox. The only car I've ever owned that used this, was my 1973 VW Bus. I've owned some fairly old cars (I got my license in 1996), but never really had much experience with them. I know you're supposed to use a feeler gauge to measure the distance (or dwell?)... but I don't think I've ever replaced them.

I've been planning on replacing it with a Petronix ignition, but part of me keeps it in there in case the aliens come down and blast the planet with EMP waves. I'll need my VW Bus to still be driveable so I can get away from the zombie hoards.
Yellow-88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2024 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow-88Send a Private Message to Yellow-88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Tach/Dwell meter, points files, feeler gages for setting points, various counterweight and spring sets for setting rate of advance.......

Yeah, I got it all.

Need some drum brake tools? I can help there as well.

Hi

I retired from drum brakes. No more drum brakes. I really like my ventilated disks.
" ..... for setting rate of advance". These kids today have no idea what they have available to them.
Does your Tach/Dwell use vacuum tubes? Someone might actually have one that does.
I'm sure that you have a stethoscope and a hiss tube too.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock