Started on: 07-10-2024 12:30 PM
Replies: 52 (697 views)
Last post by: Gizmo0816 on 08-17-2024 08:27 AM
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 570
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2024 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
Unfortunately, it might actually be a whole lot less.
Yes...
a test gauge read 140PSI is even worse then posted on the adapter page @ https://www.fiero.nl/forum/.../HTML/146121.html#p9
That high may not be very accurate even @ 40-50 PSI the V6 needs.

for low pressures fuel injection, the test set must be switch to 0-30PSI gauge ideally. You never find a cheaper test set w/ low range gauge. Most High $ sets don't have this.
That allows 9-13 to be accurate but plugged return etc can run the pump to the max pressure & that can "peg" 0-20PSI gauge & other lower gauges & never want to peg a mech gauge.

Ignore the fitting on right gauge. I used it w/ old AC hose before I got left test set. Because R12 uses same acme ends as many FI testing ports including the both adapters + often those hoses are longer so can put gauge on p-side seat or floor.

If it really has 9-10PSI w/ the low range gauge, often is still bad news as GM set most 700 TBI Regulators to 13psi.
Means The pump &/or output line likely have problems.
Worse. you need special "rubber" hose in the tank & very hard to get the size this needs, see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/146240.html

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-19-2024).]

IP: Logged
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2024 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your running fuel pressure is below spec, What is the maximum pressure it will pump?

...................10,12 ? who cares, will your fuel system pump twice that?

[This message has been edited by jelly2m8 (edited 07-20-2024).]

cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2024 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:
Unfortunately, it might actually be a whole lot less.
Yes...
a test gauge read 140PSI is even worse then posted on the adapter page @ https://www.fiero.nl/forum/.../HTML/146121.html#p9
That high may not be very accurate even @ 40-50 PSI the V6 needs.

for low pressures fuel injection, the test set must be switch to 0-30PSI gauge ideally. You never find a cheaper test set w/ low range gauge. Most High $ sets don't have this.
That allows 9-13 to be accurate but plugged return etc can run the pump to the max pressure & that can "peg" 0-20PSI gauge & other lower gauges & never want to peg a mech gauge.

Ignore the fitting on right gauge. I used it w/ old AC hose before I got left test set. Because R12 uses same acme ends as many FI testing ports including the both adapters + often those hoses are longer so can put gauge on p-side seat or floor.

If it really has 9-10PSI w/ the low range gauge, often is still bad news as GM set most 700 TBI Regulators to 13psi.
Means The pump &/or output line likely have problems.
Worse. you need special "rubber" hose in the tank & very hard to get the size this needs, see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/146240.html

[/QUOTE]
submersible hose is quite easy to get actually. you do have to look around a bit but my local oriellys has the correct size in a massive spool because the employees have 80s project cars. in other words just look around and you'll find the correct stuff in surprisingly weird locations
Gizmo0816

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2024 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gizmo0816Send a Private Message to Gizmo0816Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:

Your running fuel pressure is below spec, What is the maximum pressure it will pump?

...................10,12 ? who cares, will your fuel system pump twice that?

Max was 10, didn't fluctuate at all.

I have another gauge coming gonna have to wait til Friday again tho.

[This message has been edited by Gizmo0816 (edited 07-20-2024).]

Gizmo0816

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2024 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gizmo0816Send a Private Message to Gizmo0816Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gizmo0816

40 posts
Member since Jul 2024
Yup you guys were right about the 140 not being accurate. I got lucky and advance actually had a nice gauge.
It's bounces a little bit over 13. Holds pressure at 11 when engine stops.

[This message has been edited by Gizmo0816 (edited 07-20-2024).]

Gizmo0816

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2024 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gizmo0816Send a Private Message to Gizmo0816Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gizmo0816

40 posts
Member since Jul 2024
Tbi has been rebuilt/cleaned and fuel pressure has been tested with a fuel pressure gauge that only goes to 15.
Is a slight bounce in pressure normal? It was going from 13 to just under 13.5. Never went under 13 and I had it running for about 5 minutes. I'd imagine it would be normal since doesn't the pump kinda pulsate?
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2024 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gizmo0816:

Tbi has been rebuilt/cleaned and fuel pressure has been tested with a fuel pressure gauge that only goes to 15.
Is a slight bounce in pressure normal? It was going from 13 to just under 13.5. Never went under 13 and I had it running for about 5 minutes. I'd imagine it would be normal since doesn't the pump kinda pulsate?

not really? I wouldn't be too concerned if it runs ok
Gizmo0816

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2024 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gizmo0816Send a Private Message to Gizmo0816Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cartercarbaficionado:

not really? I wouldn't be too concerned if it runs ok

Ok. I think up next is take a look at the ecm and make sure it's terminals are ok.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 570
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2024 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pump "pulsating" doesn't happen to these pumps. Happens to V6 and other High Pressure pumps as vibration, may hear or not, when pump parts get vibration to make 40-50PSI or more on later systems like some GDI engines. The "puslator" on V6 pumps is to prevent "hammering," again may hear or not, & even you can't hear then plumping will hate the hammering. "problem" w/ some new V6 pumps is made different & Don't need or want the puslator & directions say Do Not use it..

Could be a lot of things making gauge seeing pulsing including gauge itself.

Originally posted by cartercarbaficionado:
submersible hose is quite easy to get actually. you do have to look around a bit but my local oriellys has the correct size in a massive spool because the employees have 80s project cars. in other words just look around and you'll find the correct stuff in surprisingly weird locations
Not 3/8" size that this plumbing uses in the link above. Some list it on line but when order or contact otherwise that hose is "out of stock."

Often the same for 3/4" heater hose. I had to order @ any local sources for https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/146198.html Hidden Fuel and Coolant Leaks.

Most "Brand" stores including most or all oriellys higher levels people won't allow stores to inventory parts, more so expensive things, that rarely sold. Even the Warehouses they use often can't inventory "weird" parts now that won't sell fast enough.
Gizmo0816

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2024 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gizmo0816Send a Private Message to Gizmo0816Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Long start was caused by a bad fuel pump relay. When I replaced the relay I heard the fuel pump come on and it started in the first 4 cranks after sitting for awhile.

Fuel pump was fine just wasn't getting turned on until enough oil pressure built up.

Not sure if that's the cause of my other issues but bout find out.

Mechanic said tcc solenoid was failing.

[This message has been edited by Gizmo0816 (edited 08-10-2024).]

Gizmo0816

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2024 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gizmo0816Send a Private Message to Gizmo0816Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gizmo0816

40 posts
Member since Jul 2024
The relay has also seemed to fix the weird start and stalls after the initial start. Hasn't done it since the relays been replaced which is like 3 hours as of rn.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2024 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gizmo0816:

Long start was caused by a bad fuel pump relay. When I replaced the relay I heard the fuel pump come on and it started in the first 4 cranks after sitting for awhile.

Fuel pump was fine just wasn't getting turned on until enough oil pressure built up.

Hopefully you've got the problem resolved... but you might've saved yourself some time and grief if you had responded to The Ogre's highlighted comment below taken from the 6th post back on page one of this thread.

Originally posted by theogre Here:

If still have way long crank....

Does F-pump running when have long cranking?
Turn key on but don't start then should run ~ 2 sec.
If want/need to check fuel pressure,,, see TBI Test Adaptor for Duke etc TBI Test Adaptor for Duke etc.
GM spec 9-13PSI but should see 13 unless has pump or plumbing problems.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-10-2024).]

Gizmo0816

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2024 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gizmo0816Send a Private Message to Gizmo0816Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yeah I know. I tend to not be able to hear the fuel pump on literally any vehicle I have ever owned. Only exception being an 84 goldwing, being that it's a loud ass click. I've had a 2006 cobalt and a 2012 corolla and I couldn't hear the fuel pump on them, couldn't hear it in my mom's 15 corolla nor my grandpa's 13 jeep compass, so I chalked that up to me not knowing what to look for or being deaf.

That fiero is the first time I've been able to hear a fuel pump run in acc. I just decided to change the relay since it was like 5 bucks for shits and giggles and that actually turned out to be it.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock