Started on: 07-20-2024 02:05 AM
Replies: 5 (123 views)
Last post by: Wichita on 07-27-2024 11:55 PM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2024 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm rebuilding the front end and suspension, but ran into an issue removing the steering rack.

I believe I followed everything I could find about it. I have removed the pinch bolt (near steering rack and not inside the car). I was able to get it to slide halfway out with some persuasion. But it doesn't budge past that. I have wiggled, dead blow and everything I can do to pull the rack out. It just doesn't go.

I don't know what I'm missing. The pinch bolt is completely removed, not just loosen. I tried for several hours with no luck getting it removed.

This Fiero has been garaged it's entire life.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2024 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

I'm rebuilding the front end and suspension, but ran into an issue removing the steering rack.

I believe I followed everything I could find about it. I have removed the pinch bolt (near steering rack and not inside the car). I was able to get it to slide halfway out with some persuasion. But it doesn't budge past that. I have wiggled, dead blow and everything I can do to pull the rack out. It just doesn't go.

I don't know what I'm missing. The pinch bolt is completely removed, not just loosen. I tried for several hours with no luck getting it removed.

This Fiero has been garaged it's entire life.

double check the pinch bolt on the steering shaft is removed fully and use a flathead to gently spread the coupler apart a little extra at the pinch bolt area. and mark it for your sake
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2024 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cartercarbaficionado:

double check the pinch bolt on the steering shaft is removed fully and use a flathead to gently spread the coupler apart a little extra at the pinch bolt area. and mark it for your sake

About time you had something useful to post.........
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2024 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:
About time you had something useful to post.........

let's only Be helpful to another user in their threads. hash your issue with me in mine.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2024 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2000RagTop:
yes, insert a flathead screw driver in between the coupler and "lightly" spread it apart, not a lot, just a little! This should release it........

88 steering rack removal- stuck by Scottzilla79
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...160323-2-127920.html

Raydar:
Once you remove the {plastic front compartment} tub, you can just climb in there and remove the steering rack fasteners.

The pinch bolt is covered by a rubber sleeve that keeps water out of the universal joint.

Once you push the sleeve up out of the way, jam a long screwdriver through the universal joint to hold it out of the way. Then you can get to the bolt.

You have to take the pinch bolt all the way out. It's threaded through a notch in the side of the pinion shaft.

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 07-20-2024).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2024 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was finally able to remove the steering rack, after hours of working with it.

But did noticed that now it's removed, what is the dried pink stuff on the end of the shaft? Curious.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock