Head Gasket Change by Cruzenoob
Started on: 07-21-2024 10:48 AM
Replies: 4 (92 views)
Last post by: Cruzenoob on 07-23-2024 10:00 AM
Cruzenoob

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2024 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CruzenoobSend a Private Message to CruzenoobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello people, just restoring a fiero that hasn't been running in around 24 years. Today I removed the rocker arms, push rods, and the hydraulic lifters. I am going to clean and oil everything up with new oil before installation.

Now the question: Should I go further and change the head gasket too. I see it is alot more work because I have to remove the exhaust manifold, and the one in the back looks hard to do. Has anyone around here experience with head gasket, does age affect them? The car has around 66k miles on it, but it might still be the first gasket. No I did not star the car before to see if it has any problem with the gasket.

Id be glad to hear any answer.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2024 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why pull the head gaskets; do you have a problem? If not - don't!

To me, IF you're removing the heads; pull the head and the exhaust manifold as one part, and then remove the manifolds from the heads on the bench.

And in my world, I always send my heads out to get them re-built with new valves....

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

Cruzenoob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2024 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CruzenoobSend a Private Message to CruzenoobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

Why pull the head gaskets; do you have a problem? If not - don't!

To me, IF you're removing the heads; pull the head and the exhaust manifold as one part, and then remove the manifolds from the heads on the bench.

And in my world, I always send my heads out to get them re-built with new valves....

Hello, I don't know. Some say don't do it no need, others say do it because you already have disassembled everything. As I mentioned, I don't know if age is affecting a head gasket...

I will leave them for now.

Thanks for the reply
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2024 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I changed my dukes headgasket. I was blessed with good non rusty bolts and the job was a breeze. But if its not broken don't fix it.
Cruzenoob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2024 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CruzenoobSend a Private Message to CruzenoobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dukesterpro:

I changed my dukes headgasket. I was blessed with good non rusty bolts and the job was a breeze. But if its not broken don't fix it.

Thank you, I'll only be able to tell that when I have assembled everything back together and start my fiero for the first time in 24 years, if it's bad, I'll have to disassemble everything again haha

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock