Rocker Arms by Cruzenoob
Started on: 07-21-2024 10:52 AM
Replies: 7 (150 views)
Last post by: Dukesterpro on 07-23-2024 02:37 PM
Cruzenoob

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2024 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CruzenoobSend a Private Message to CruzenoobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I disassembled the rocker arms and pushrods today, and cleaned them in ultra sonic cleaner. Now I was thinking before installation, what is preventing the nut from loosening the rocker arm. Won't the engine oil loosen it over time? I see there is a nut on top, and below there is a half round part with a flat surface, where the nut sits on top of it. What is preventing the nut from loosening, do I have to use some kind of threadlock or something?

Happy to hear from you guys 😀
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2024 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First Cruzenoob, always start with year/model/engine when you're asking questions.......

As I found your last post, we're talking about the V6

----------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you kept components in a 'rack' so you can reinstall them in the original locations......

Rocker arm nuts are self-locking: the top of the nut is purposefully deformed {not 'round'} to 'grip' the stud threads tightly and the proper tension.

Some members may re-use rocker arm nuts but to me, I do not and install brand-new nuts.

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 07-21-2024).]

Cruzenoob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2024 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CruzenoobSend a Private Message to CruzenoobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

First Cruzenoob, always start with year/model/engine when you're asking questions.......

As I found your last post, we're talking about the V6

By round I meant the lower part I just saw on Rockauto it's called rocker arm ball 😂 Thank you very much for telling me, I didn't know that was a securing nut, I never used these before just those regular one with that blue rubber/plastic thread.
I am still amazed it's all holding tight and not coming loose over time from all the engine oil.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

[This message has been edited by Cruzenoob (edited 07-21-2024).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2024 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cruzenoob:

By round I meant the lower part I just saw on Rockauto it's called rocker arm ball 😂

As has already been pointed out, the rocker arms need to be partnered with their original balls (and pushrods). If they've already been separated... then the best thing to do is to buy new rocker arm and ball assemblies (and pushrods). Otherwise, the mismatched rocker arms/balls/pushrods will suffer from accelerated wear and failure.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-21-2024).]

Cruzenoob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2024 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CruzenoobSend a Private Message to CruzenoobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

As has already been pointed out, the rocker arms need to be partnered with their original balls (and pushrods). If they've already been separated... then the best thing to do is to buy new rocker arm and ball assemblies (and pushrods). Otherwise, the mismatched rocker arms/balls/pushrods will suffer from accelerated wear and failure.

Thank you patrick, but I never said I mixed them up 😅 Of course I placed them in correct order if thats what you mean 😁👍
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2024 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you patrick, but I never said I mixed them up 😅

You also never said you didn't.

Of course I placed them in correct order if thats what you mean 😁👍

Excellent!
Cruzenoob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2024 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CruzenoobSend a Private Message to CruzenoobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Excellent!

Thanks haha
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2024 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like playing rocker arm powerball. I put em all in that bingo bingo mixer ball and let them all shift around. The install them in random orders. Really adds a little spice to fixing an old car.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock