V6 Engine Rebuild? by jumpmonkey
Started on: 07-26-2024 04:56 PM
Replies: 12 (248 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 08-06-2024 07:23 AM
jumpmonkey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2024 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jumpmonkeySend a Private Message to jumpmonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After much diagnosis for a no-start condition on my '85GT, I finally managed to get it running and driving. I replaced the Fuel Pump, Sending Unit, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pressure Regulator, and Injectors. The car runs pretty well but I believe there are a few vacuum, oil, and exhaust leaks. I'd like the forum's opinion on how to proceed.
I have the time and funding to do a rebuild, although not an extensive rebuild. I want to do more of a refresh. I'd like to replace all the gaskets, seals, and vacuum lines. My plan would be to drop the engine and clean everything, then build it back up.
I know a lot of people say that if you're gonna drop the engine, you might as well do a swap. I don't think I'm prepared for a swap yet and I'd like to keep the car stock for now.
If I do drop the engine(I'd like y'alls opinions first of if I should), are there certain sensors or parts that typically wear out and should be replaced with the rebuild?

I'd just like genuine thoughts on this from everyone. I've never done a rebuild and I'd like to start with something simple and fun. Thanks!

(And a special thanks to all the people who helped diagnose my no-start condition in my other threads)

------------------
Jumpmonkey

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2024 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to get it out of the way; if you're gonna drop the engine you might as well do a swap

BUT, if that's not what you wanna do, I'm of the mind that you should smoke test it first, figure out your leaks and see if it even *needs* to come out. You can just about every gasket except for the lower intake manifold and heads (maybe I just couldn't) with the engine in the car, but the only reason you'd need to replace those is if they're actually leaking or you're burning coolant. Don't fix what ain't broke! As far as sensors, I'm gonna say the same thing. New parts are worse than what came stock on that car 90% of the time so if they're still working, let em be. I'd say change out your water pump for sanity's sake, if it hasn't let go already it probably will soon given age. That's about it though.

All of that goes clean out the window if you're wanting to actually rebuild the whole engine with a new cam and bearings and whatnot.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2024 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Let me be the first one to say... if you're going to drop the 2.8 for a "refresh", why not refresh a 3.4 from a Camaro instead? Everything on your 2.8 would bolt up to it. The only thing that would need to be done is the starter mounting holes would need to be drilled, but it's a simple process. You'd get a bit more grunt out of this engine with very little extra effort/expense.
jumpmonkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2024 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jumpmonkeySend a Private Message to jumpmonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Let me be the first one to say... if you're going to drop the 2.8 for a "refresh", why not refresh a 3.4 from a Camaro instead? Everything on your 2.8 would bolt up to it. The only thing that would need to be done is the starter mounting holes would need to be drilled, but it's a simple process. You'd get a bit more grunt out of this engine with very little extra effort/expense.

Could you go into more detail on this one or reference threads about a basic 3.4 swap? I don't know much about the 3.4 but I would assume you might have to change out the ECM along with other things rather than just the starter mounting holes. It's not truly that easy, is it?

What generation camaro is it from? My GT is an automatic so would that create any issues?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2024 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jumpmonkey:

Could you go into more detail on this one or reference threads about a basic 3.4 swap?

There are dozens and dozens of threads to be found Here covering this topic. If someone doesn't mention one specifically, they'd be easy enough to find.
Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2024 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

There are dozens and dozens of threads to be found Here covering this topic. If someone doesn't mention one specifically, they'd be easy enough to find.

Only problem is that those engines are becoming not easy to find. At least not in my area, I was going to swap a 3.4 into my 88 S10 but couldn't find a single 3.4 in any yard for 250 miles. It was ridiculous.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2024 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Additivewalnut:

Only problem is that those engines are becoming not easy to find.

I'll wager they're a lot easier to find than Fieros.

The first "local" wrecking yard I checked...

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

I just happened to come across this interesting discussion on the 3.4 at another forum. Some insight on the 3.4L OHV RWD Motor...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-27-2024).]

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2024 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jumpmonkey:
I'd like to replace all the gaskets, seals, and vacuum lines. / I'd like to keep the car stock for now.

As a stock/factory fan; an engine swap is the last thing I will suggest. If you really like to keep the car stock for now - don't swap the engine!

But IF the original V6 is 'worn out" AND the engine must be dropped, the majority of Fiero engine swaps is for the members which they wanted more power/torque than a stock rebuild.

To Me - you can "refresh" your engine and address the vacuum, oil, and exhaust leaks without dropping it.

So, my advice: make a 'problem' list and tackle them one-by-one as I'm doing the same on my '88 GT.

One Tip: Avoid 'cheap' aftermarket parts and as far as sensors; I replaced the majority of them with Genuine GM / AC Delco parts.

Could you go into more detail on this one or reference threads about a basic 3.4 swap?

Read this thread as it has ALOT information including many links about the 3.4L engine:

To engine swap or not to engine swap by Nasta
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/147475.html

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 07-27-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2024 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kinda just going to echo what others have said... the Fiero is a great platform to put a lot of different engines in... but if you like the stock look, a 3.4 V6/60 swap is pretty much the limit for getting more power and keeping it stock looking.

I read through the link that Patrick posted... it's actually a really good threat from the original poster. Bottom line is that, just like intake that came with his car (93-95 Camaro / Firebird), the intake sucks above 4,500 rpms. That's basically the same on our engines. Someone will have to correct me, but with the smaller displacement (2.8), the engine can't really produce power above 5,000 because it's choked off. There's the whole DAWG mod that you'd need to do to the intake plenum... which really wakes up the motor (even a stock motor).

Lots of things you can do to make more power.

But like the poster talked about in that other thread... the 3400 motors just produce so much more usable power. You could drop an entire 3400 from a Grand Am GT into there, and it would be night and day a different car. But then it's not stock looking anymore... so it's really whatever you want.

I'm going the 3.4 V6/6 route. I already bought a crate 3.4 rebuild, I have professionally ported heads, headers, a new cam, etc. And when I put it all back together, it'll look 95% stock except for the fact it'll have shorty headers... which more or less look like really expensive exhaust manifolds. I'm expecting about ~210hp with everything that I'll be doing. The only parts I haven't worked out is the DAWG mod... but I have three plenums, so I'll eventually get it done. I'll be really happy with that outcome. It'll be a low/mid 14 second car, sound like a stock Fiero, if not a little bit more throaty, and that's all I'll want from it.
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2024 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jumpmonkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2024 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jumpmonkeySend a Private Message to jumpmonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I already bought a crate 3.4 rebuild, .

What did that run you?

PFF
System Bot
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2024 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you read the To engine swap or not to engine swap by Nasta link above:

On 02-07-2024 he said:

82-T/A :
The cost for the rebuilt 3.4 engine / I think after taxes and all the BS, it was just under ~$1,800.

Three links that have the DCC9 3.4 V6 available now... that drops right in:

https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-...es/059/DCC9/10002/-1
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ATKDCC9
https://www.autozone.com/po...gine-dcc9/561355_0_0

82-T/A's links are around six months old so add more inflation.....
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2024 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jumpmonkey:

What did that run you?

Sorry, I missed this. Yeah, Vintage-Nut's links are correct.

I think I paid less than $1,800... but that was probably almost a year ago now when I first bought it. It took a couple of months for it to arrive (was rebuilt in Mexico by NuTech). I'm pretty happy with what I received... everything was STD size (I know because I took the cyl heads off), so I know it wasn't some really beat to **** motor, but an actual decent fairly low mileage motor that was rebuilt. The problem I have of course is that stock isn't good enough for me. I figure this will be the last engine I ever put in this car because I don't want super high performance... I just want modern performance, and as much horsepower as I can get with everything looking totally stock. I don't want to get passed by pickup trucks and Toyota Camrys on the merge lanes.

From my old links that Vintage-Nut posted, it looks like the only company that still has one left is from ATK, through JEGS: https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-...es/059/DCC9/10002/-1

It shows ~$2,200... which, if I'm being completely honest, is really not a bad price at all. You're basically getting a drop-in motor that all you need to do is drill one hole, and tap another.

I went a little overboard, and I just purchased a set of DOHC pistons to bump my compression to ~9.5-9.7 (I guess I'll find out), as well as a Crane H272 camshaft, and port / polished cyl heads with SI stainless swirl "tulip" valves... along with some other odds and ends. My goal is 200hp, which I think I'll get. I'm also going with West Coast Fiero shorty stainless headers, and swapping in a 5-Speed Getrag that I have sitting on the shelf from a Fiero GT that had only 30k miles when it was T-boned (I think I either bought it from Blacktree or someone else on here like 20 years ago... just sitting in a crate).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock