Engine revs in cruise conrol. by john carter
Started on: 10-02-2024 12:13 PM
Replies: 9 (103 views)
Last post by: Vintage-Nut on 10-02-2024 09:08 PM
john carter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2024 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john carterSend a Private Message to john carterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What would cause the engine to rev out of control when I actuate the cruise control? TPS? The trans kicks down and its off to the races! 87 GT
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2024 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by john carter:

What would cause the engine to rev out of control when I actuate the cruise control? TPS? The trans kicks down and its off to the races! 87 GT

I can't say for sure, but I know that cruise control is based off of vacuum. I'm assuming they would have designed it in a "fail safe" kind of way, and not one in which it causes the engine to race...

Sounds like maybe there's a vacuum line disconnected, or it's not properly identifying when and what speed it's supposed to reach.
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2024 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
I can't say for sure, but I know that cruise control is based off of vacuum. I'm assuming they would have designed it in a "fail safe" kind of way, and not one in which it causes the engine to race...

Sounds like maybe there's a vacuum line disconnected, or it's not properly identifying when and what speed it's supposed to reach.

they did not fail safe these unfortunately. it should be able to see speed and gears on an automatic

john carter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2024 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john carterSend a Private Message to john carterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've checked and re-checked my vacuum lines. No check engine light. Replaced the vacuum can and the diaphragm. Dump solenoid is good. Stalk was replaced. I agree that the cruise speed is not being found. The engine screams trying to find the speed setting.
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2024 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by john carter:

I've checked and re-checked my vacuum lines. No check engine light. Replaced the vacuum can and the diaphragm. Dump solenoid is good. Stalk was replaced. I agree that the cruise speed is not being found. The engine screams trying to find the speed setting.

have you checked the safety switches under the dash?
john carter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2024 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john carterSend a Private Message to john carterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not aware that there are safety switches. Where are they approx? Thanks for your help
john carter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2024 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john carterSend a Private Message to john carterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

john carter

24 posts
Member since Aug 2023
I guess you mean the sw on the brake pedal. Yes it works. while the cruise control is reving up, I touch the brake pedal and it dis-engages immediately. I did a test with the key in the "on" position, I can hear the dump solenoid clicking when I press the brake pedal.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2024 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Factory Service Manual:
Since any problem in the system is either vacuum, mechanical, or electrical, the technician should perform a few initial checks....first eliminate a vacuum or mechanical problem by starting the engine and using finger to feel for source vacuum at the servo, and by visual inspection of vacuum release valve, throttle linkage, vacuum hoses, etc.

IF preliminary inspection reveals no solution, and the system in inoperative, use the diagnostic information...

As you believe that the vacuum and mechanical are 'good', did you perform the electrical ISOLATION TESTS under the system diagnosis section?

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 10-02-2024).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2024 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vacuum is the force that pulls the throttle with the cruise diaphragm. If it is going WOT when cruise is turned on, it has too much vacuum.

There is likely an issue with the cruise servo where it can not bleed the excess vacuum off.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2024 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru:
There is likely an issue with the cruise servo where it can not bleed the excess vacuum off.

Using fieroguru's tip, read "D: Vent Circuit Open Test" and "J: Vent Circuit Short Test" in the system diagnosis section.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock