Simple parts: 3D-printed gas cap holder by dremu
Started on: 10-08-2024 05:57 PM
Replies: 7 (124 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 10-11-2024 08:13 PM
dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2024 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When you have a 3D printer, things get more creative. I got tired or having the dang gas cap roll around on the roof, or burning my fingers on the grille. Now the gas cap just slots neatly into the cover, like normal modern cars, when I'm filling up. Stupidly simple, really, but I think it fits into "Why didn't I do this sooner?"

Source and STL on Thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6791740

-- A
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2024 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A very good idea on an invention to prevent gas cap loss. I would use epoxy to hold this holder to the cap but they are not commercially available as yet.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2024 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

A very good idea on an invention to prevent gas cap loss. I would use epoxy to hold this holder to the cap but they are not commercially available as yet.

Thanks! And yeah, that's all I did, was epoxy the holder inside the cap to hold the filler cap proper:

As for commercially available, at this point I think anyone with a Fiero who *doesn't* have a 3D printer is doing themselves a dis-service, since so many parts can be made/replicated/modified. But I may be biased =)) There are online services that will make stuff for you, or if you ask really nicely (and pay for time/materials/postage) I'm sure somebody here would do it.

-- A
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2024 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dremu:

I got tired or having the dang gas cap roll around on the roof, or burning my fingers on the grille.

I guess I'm just weird ... as I put the gas cap from whatever car I'm driving on the gas pump prior to filling the tank, and I grab the gas cap when I'm done.
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2024 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I guess I'm just weird ... as I put the gas cap from whatever car I'm driving on the gas pump prior to filling the tank, and I grab the gas cap when I'm done.

Your memory must work better than ... what was I talking about? =))

Plus, as I mentioned, when there's a 3D printer afoot, one tends to find purposes for it, whether or not they're really needed.

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 10-11-2024).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2024 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The idea is not that novel. There is a whole bunch of these cap holders being sold on eBay for other bands of cars. Probably could cut and easily adapt one to fit the Fiero gas door.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

NewDustin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2024 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewDustinSend a Private Message to NewDustinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I would have lost approximately 400 gas caps by now if I did this.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2024 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dremu:

Your memory must work better than ... what was I talking about? =))

Originally posted by NewDustin:

I would have lost approximately 400 gas caps by now if I did this.

How could you guys not notice the cap was missing when you closed the flap?

I've never forgotten to replace my gas cap in over 50 years of driving... but don't ask me what I had for dinner last night.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock