Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Realistic expectations for 3800 SC swap?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Realistic expectations for 3800 SC swap? by steve126a
Started on: 10-13-2024 11:14 PM
Replies: 11 (250 views)
Last post by: ricreatr on 10-19-2024 05:34 PM
steve126a

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2024 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve126aSend a Private Message to steve126aEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I set about purchasing a 3800SC swap Fiero after years of thinking about it. I always thought it would be a fun, sporty car with good power/weight ratio. I found one of sale locally and went for a test drive. Mechanically, it ran well, sounded good and I could tell the install was done the right way. When it came time to go for a test drive, I was kind of underwhelmed by the driving feel and performance. I had it built up in my mind that this car would rip around pretty good and that the acceleration would get the adrenaline going, however that wasn't the case.

I come from an F-Body background and am used to torquey V8's with nice low-end acceleration. I was hoping the Fiero would give me the same sensation, but maybe the 3800 V6's are more of a top-end runner that builds power in the supercharger as the RPM's climb?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just trying to figure out if that is par for the course with this type of swap or if something in that particular car was off?

I've had similar cars in the past (Saturn ION Redline) that were supercharged, lightweight and a lot of fun to drive. I even had a friend in high school with a Grand Prix GTP that was wicked fast. I figured the Fiero would be a blend of both of those types of cars with the added thrill of RWD.

Am I missing something or did I set an unrealistic expectation of what I thought this type of swap would drive like?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2024 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve126a:

I was kind of underwhelmed by the driving feel and performance.

Was it an automatic? If so, that might've had something to do with your lack of enthusiasm with this Fiero.

Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2024 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's an automatic then that's the answer. If it's not, then I'd argue the 3800 is fantastic on it's own but really gets woken up when you put a 3.4 pulley on it. My car is an absolute blast to drive as a 4 speed. It is worth mentioning that I have been in an LT1 4th gen Trans Am and it is a lot more dramatic and feels a lot faster when you floor it compared to the Fiero. The Fiero just kinda hooks and goes instead of spinning and making glorious V8 noises

[This message has been edited by Additivewalnut (edited 10-14-2024).]

Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2024 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You only have to watch Toys 4 Life (YouTube) with his white 3800SC Fiero to know that this kind of car is very quick!
My turbo 3800 is very, very fast on a circuit or on a back road. So fast, it can scare me!
You must have driven one with a "slush box" in place of a properly setup auto or manuel gearbox?

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. - The fastest Fiero in France! @turboslugfiero
https://youtu.be/hUzOAeyWLfM

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2024 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forum member DarkHorizon ( Scott) built a Turbo 3800 and ran a 9.87 sec 1/4 mile at 142 mph. I doubt if any V8 Fiero did better. It was an automatic and that is my preference as well.
Check it out:
Fiero runs 9.87 1'4 mile

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

steve126a

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2024 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve126aSend a Private Message to steve126aEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies! The car I drove was a 4-speed auto with the transmission from the GTP donor car. I'm sure that had something do to with the lackluster feel.

I was wanting the car mainly for road course racing. Something simple, bulletproof and relatively cheap to race around with.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2024 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are talking about a bone stock install of the a 3800sc then it would be a 15 or 14 second car in the 1/4 mile based on the numbers below.
Yes they can be built faster, but it sounds like you drove one that was close to stock.

-------- THE 14'S --------
ls3mach: 14.039 @ 82.49 mph (3800SC, Intercooler, Cam, Exhaust, Headers, CAI)
Eric_PA: 14.28 @ 94 mph (3800 Series I)
Mitchjl22: 14.378 @ 98.21 mph (stock L32 3800SC / 5-spd Getrag)
SC3800ttops: 14.51 @ 94 mph (3800SC-II / auto)
The Adjuster: 14.56 @ 92 mph (3800 Series II, custom chip / 4T60E)

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2024 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

If you are talking about a bone stock install of the a 3800sc then it would be a 15 or 14 second car in the 1/4 mile based on the numbers below.
Yes they can be built faster, but it sounds like you drove one that was close to stock.

-------- THE 14'S --------
ls3mach: 14.039 @ 82.49 mph (3800SC, Intercooler, Cam, Exhaust, Headers, CAI)
Eric_PA: 14.28 @ 94 mph (3800 Series I)
Mitchjl22: 14.378 @ 98.21 mph (stock L32 3800SC / 5-spd Getrag)
SC3800ttops: 14.51 @ 94 mph (3800SC-II / auto)
The Adjuster: 14.56 @ 92 mph (3800 Series II, custom chip / 4T60E)

Its always easy to skew numbers by referencing the worse. I also wonder why the series 1 here has the best ET?? While there is no 1/4 mile track anywhere near here my 0-60 time is under 5 seconds with just some bolt on mods as in my signature. That confirms that a 3800SC has the potential to make serious power. Yes it is a dinosaur by todays standards but I would say still very capable of bringing the Fiero to the next level. If the OP wants a more modern relatively easy bolt in engine swap what does he use?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2024 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
Its always easy to skew numbers by referencing the worse. I also wonder why the series 1 here has the best ET?? While there is no 1/4 mile track anywhere near here my 0-60 time is under 5 seconds with just some bolt on mods as in my signature. That confirms that a 3800SC has the potential to make serious power. Yes it is a dinosaur by todays standards but I would say still very capable of bringing the Fiero to the next level. If the OP wants a more modern relatively easy bolt in engine swap what does he use?

The OP was asking about realistic expectations for a 3800sc swap he drove and was unimpressed with.

You responded with a 9 second swap example.
I shared actual results from stock swapped 3800sc which likely were a closer match to the car he drove.

Now which one of us is skewing numbers?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2024 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The OP was asking about realistic expectations for a 3800sc swap he drove and was unimpressed with.

You responded with a 9 second swap example.
I shared actual results from stock swapped 3800sc which likely were a closer match to the car he drove.

Now which one of us is skewing numbers?

I know several Fiero owners with the basic 3.4L P/R engine that are running in the high 14's. Its not a true example showing the slowest of the 3800SC's. Just look on You Tube for what guys are running with the 3800SC. Also its very easy to up performance with the 3800SC; 3" exhaust, high ratio rocker arms, smaller pulley, larger TB, MAF and an IC. These should be all within the skill of the average home mechanic.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2024 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since you have driven a Grand Prix GTP, the only thing i can think of is a tune. i had mine tuned by Ryan Gick, he did a great job cept that my TB was the wrong one for a 2002GTP - the MAF sensor was different. Got the correct TB and MAF for a 2002 and the performance improved greatly. Fuel economy too.

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 3800SC, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

PFF
System Bot
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2024 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My stock sc3800 is hooked up to a 6speed, but it is very fast off the line. Like faster than c5 vettes i have driven. Up top, on the freeway, it could sure use more power. For you to indicate that one is slow on takeoff, and faster up too, makes me think the supercharger belt is off. Did you hear the whine of the blower? Even with the stock auto, mine ripped (for like two weeks…)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock