Wiring question by 4thfiero
Started on: 10-17-2024 02:19 PM
Replies: 8 (159 views)
Last post by: Vintage-Nut on 10-20-2024 10:42 AM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2024 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

Long story short I took out the stock fiero Fuel gauge and swapped in an aftermarket one bcc the stock one was reading inaccurate....i got the stock one fixed and recalibrated and fixed the wiring in the steering columb that makes the guages read higher overtime. I need to know which wires on the stock guage side, go to which wires on the harness side....

This is what I found on the net on the temp/fuel gauge side....

And this is what MY wiring harness looks like now that did plug into the aftermarket guage. Obv the guiys at the automotive shop installed a custom plug of some kind for the aftermarket guage....

Thanks in advance for the help. Just wanna make sure im doing this correctly.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2024 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Year - Model - Engine?

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2024 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That connector is for trailer lights and is not stock.
Only way to know which pin is which is to get a long jumper wire and a multi-meter or 12V test light and check for continuity between the pins and the sensor connectors
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2024 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

Year - Model - Engine?

1988 GT, 2.4 LE5 Ecotec with custom turbo system
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2024 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can find the '88 fuel gauge schematic in section 8A under "Instrument Panel" of the factory service manual {8A - 80}

If you don't have a printed service manual, the fuel gauge schematic is on page 1073 of this digital manual:

https://fieroinfo.com/manua...o_Service_Manual.pdf

Gage Fuse / 12V - Pink/Black Wire
Fuel Sender - Pink Wire
Ground - Black Wire

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 10-18-2024).]

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2024 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

You can find the '88 fuel gauge schematic in section 8A under "Instrument Panel" of the factory service manual {8A - 80}

If you don't have a printed service manual, the fuel gauge schematic is on page 1073 of this digital manual:

https://fieroinfo.com/manua...o_Service_Manual.pdf

Gage Fuse / 12V - Pink/Black Wire
Fuel Sender - Pink Wire
Ground - Black Wire

Okay i traced the inside wiring harness back to the car's actual harness to match up the colors, however im still unsure where each "bolt" on the gauges are supposed to hook up to which color...is my above picture with the gauge lables even accurate? I seem to be running into misinformation regarding the hookups on the gauge side...the picture i posted above seems to suggest the SIDE two pins on the engine temp gauge to be the ones to hook up....but other information ive found online seems to suggest its the top and bottom pins.

Im not great at reading wiring diagrams, can someone whose more knowledgable pls tell me which colored wires are supposed to go to which "pins" on the gauge? I screenshotted the diagram and this is what i have gleamed...

Pink/Black - Gauge fuse?
Black - Ground
LT Green - Ignition switch?
Pink - Fuel sending unit

Which wire is the Coolant temp wire?

Thank you guys in advance for your help.

[This message has been edited by 4thfiero (edited 10-19-2024).]

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2024 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

4thfiero

830 posts
Member since Oct 2012
Here is a picture of my actual gauge, my mechanic hooked up these wires for me, and as you can see he hooked up the top and bottom pins of the temp part of the gauge...is that correct??

On another page i found this picture of someone elses fuel gauge wired up top and bottom as well...

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2024 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE*

I realized why i am so confused about this setup...apparently the mechanic who installed the aftermarket gauge for me, CUT a rectangular piece of the cluster housing out to fit in the AM gauge....removing the little metal connectors that those stock gauge pins slide into when installing the stock gauges....there are no wires or connectors going to the gauges directly in the stock form....they connect to the wireing harness via the large wireing harness connector used for the tach + the rear plastic circuit board....

I will be shopping around on the Mall for a new cluster housing, as well as 6 of those metal connectors for the circuitboard...ill have to wire the gauges up manually in the meantime. Thanks everyone for your help.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2024 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Déjà Vu

Fuel/Temp gauge wiring by 4thfiero
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/146103.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock