I need a mechanic by Josh86gt
Started on: 10-18-2024 10:16 AM
Replies: 11 (240 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 10-22-2024 02:21 AM
Josh86gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2024 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh86gtSend a Private Message to Josh86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a exhaust leak and am having trouble finding someone to fix it, I live in Milton FL if anyone knows someone
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2024 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Josh86gt:

I have a exhaust leak and am having trouble finding someone to fix it, I live in Milton FL if anyone knows someone

I live in Florida, but I see you're in the Panhandle... I'm over by Tampa. I don't know any Pensacola people.

Any exhaust shop should be able to fix your exhaust leak. Can you potentially record some audio so we can get an idea?

Do you have high idle by chance?

... does it sound like a lawn mower when you're accelerating, or does it sound like an insane top-fuel funny car?

The lawn-mower sound is usually as a result of a cracked exhaust manifold. It's common on the "back" exhaust manifold (below the window). Because of the heat cycles... sometimes when it rains, people open the trunk and it dumps water on the manifold and cracks it.
Josh86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2024 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh86gtSend a Private Message to Josh86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't get audio right now I am traveling but it sounds like a small tick and 9/10 shops I have called said they will not work on a car that old, I found one guy but his worker quit, so I found another but I can't go till Monday

Edit it idles at about 1200 rpm but occasionally bumps down to 900 for a couple seconds

[This message has been edited by Josh86gt (edited 10-18-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2024 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Josh86gt:

I can't get audio right now I am traveling but it sounds like a small tick and 9/10 shops I have called said they will not work on a car that old, I found one guy but his worker quit, so I found another but I can't go till Monday

Edit it idles at about 1200 rpm but occasionally bumps down to 900 for a couple seconds

Yup... that's it then. The "small tick" noise is undoubtedly a cracked rear exhaust manifold.

You will likely need this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/305707716604 ($115)

The high idle is something else though... 1,200 rpms at idle is not right... and it's kind of high, you likely also have a cracked EGR tube. You can refer to THIS POST for pictures and where it's located.

A new EGR tube is about $119: https://www.fierostore.com/...px?s=67019&d=215&p=1

Don't buy anything until anyone has had a chance to look at and confirm, but this would be my guess / suspicion. You can print this post (and the one for the EGR tube) and share it with the mechanic as well (or try to diagnose yourself as well).

NOTE: high idle (e.g., from a cracked EGR tube) will cause the engine to run lean, which causes the exhaust manifolds to get extremely hot (they may even glow red when you look at them in the dark), and that can lead to the manifolds cracking. It's likely a cracked rear manifold, but just in case it's the front manifold, they are interchangeable, so the one on eBay will fit either side.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 10-18-2024).]

Josh86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2024 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh86gtSend a Private Message to Josh86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2024 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

It's common on the "back" exhaust manifold (below the window).

For clarification... the exhaust manifold below the rear window is the front manifold. The back or rear exhaust manifold is located near the trunk.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2024 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those rather use the accurate terms:
The 'front' is the right-hand exhaust manifold
The 'rear' is the left-hand exhaust manifold

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 10-18-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2024 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

For clarification... the exhaust manifold below the rear window is the front manifold. The back or rear exhaust manifold is located near the trunk.

LOL! I always do that, because when I'm looking at the engine, it's from that orientation... haha...
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2024 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have my own shop so i hate to have my daughter take her car to somebody else while she attends pensecola christian, but there are two shops i now trust. Able auto and bobby likis.
I bet they all will need some hand holding on our cars though.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2024 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am tool rich. Bought them all from the money I did not pay for work. Auto, electrical, carpentry, plumbing.

I am at a state where I need help. For the first time I paid a shop to do some work. They did it for free. My payment was a tip, tax free.

I found the place, Merlin's Automotive Group through Repair Pal. Merlin's is a national franchise but not in your area. I checked.

Repair Pal has 3,800 Repair Pal Certified locations nationwide.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 10-21-2024).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2024 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

36660 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
LOL! I always do that, because when I'm looking at the engine, it's from that orientation... haha...

I forgive you. My Dad had lake side property and he called the water's edge his front yard. Even though you get to his place, through the back yard.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2024 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the ticking noise is a broken exhaust manifold (likely) it can be a very difficult job replacing it. Some of those 38 yr old bolts that hold it tend to snap off in the head or around the end of it. The Pontiac dealers all had drilling fixtures/jigs where the bolts could be drilled out with a left hand drill but they are hard to find. First soak with PB Blaster for a few days and hope for the best.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock