400-500 hp 3800 sc series 3 by Josh86gt
Started on: 10-19-2024 11:40 PM
Replies: 13 (253 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 10-24-2024 08:12 AM
Josh86gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2024 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh86gtSend a Private Message to Josh86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I plan on putting a 3800 in my fiero and I would like to get about 400 to 500 horsepower out of it, what is the cheapest way I could get there while retaining the supercharger?

[This message has been edited by Josh86gt (edited 10-20-2024).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2024 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TURBO !

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. - The fastest Fiero in France! @turboslugfiero
https://youtu.be/hUzOAeyWLfM

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2024 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Josh86gt:

I plan on putting a 3800 in my fiero and I would like to get about 400 to 500 horsepower out of it, what is the cheapest way I could get there while retaining the supercharger?

It is doubtful that you can go to 400 HP with the Gen 3 supercharger. You might squeek it out with the GenV unit but many mods will be required including head work, a cam , valve springs, 1.5 rockers, small pulley, FSIC, 80lb injectors and e85 fuel. It won't be cheap.
Some guidelines here:

The road to 400 WHP

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Josh86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2024 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh86gtSend a Private Message to Josh86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

It is doubtful that you can go to 400 HP with the Gen 3 supercharger. You might squeek it out with the GenV unit but many mods will be required including head work, a cam , valve springs, 1.5 rockers, small pulley, FSIC, 80lb injectors and e85 fuel. It won't be cheap.
Some guidelines here:

The road to 400 WHP

How much do you think I can get out of it for 2500$?

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2024 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For $2,500 you might get it installed in stock form. The upgrades can come along later when you have a larger budget.
Josh86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2024 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh86gtSend a Private Message to Josh86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

For $2,500 you might get it installed in stock form. The upgrades can come along later when you have a larger budget.

I mean 2500$ for just mods
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2024 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I mean 2500$ for just mods

How you intend to use your vehicle, street, strip or street/strip? Is your budget DIY, or for a speed shop build? Increasing horsepower requires adding aftermarket parts, machine shop costs, hours of tuning and assembly labor. Your question is best answered in the ZZ Performance videos but they say that to 400HP even new pistons are needed. They are the experts so you might want to contact them.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-20-2024).]

Josh86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2024 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh86gtSend a Private Message to Josh86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How you intend to use your vehicle, street, strip or street/strip? Is your budget DIY, or for a speed shop build? Increasing horsepower requires adding aftermarket parts, machine shop costs, hours of tuning and assembly labor. Your question is best answered in the ZZ Performance videos but they say that to 400HP even new pistons are needed. They are the experts so you might want to contact them.

If I have to change internals I plan on doing that myself,I plan on using it as a street car no drag racing or anything maybe an occasional launch, thanks I will give that a look
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2024 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scope here is your most important factor.

If you are planning on using this as a streetcar, Id stay away from that 500hp mark. You WILL sacrifice drivability, economy and most importantly, reliability.

Instead of worrying about how much go fast parts you can get for 2500, put that money into a really clean stock install, something that's easily removable if you want to play with it later because your scope has changed.

Thats my 2cents, do with it as you will
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2024 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dukesterpro:

Scope here is your most important factor.

If you are planning on using this as a streetcar, Id stay away from that 500hp mark. You WILL sacrifice drivability, economy and most importantly, reliability.

Instead of worrying about how much go fast parts you can get for 2500, put that money into a really clean stock install, something that's easily removable if you want to play with it later because your scope has changed.

Thats my 2cents, do with it as you will

I would agree to stay away from the 500 HP goal with a 3800. Its been done but the risk vs reward ratio is not favorable.
The more power mods that you add to any engine, the likely result is lower reliability. If you build a 3800SC to 400 hp; along with the engine mods expect to also do a transmission upgrade. My 3880Sc makes somewhere in the area of 300 HP and its plenty of power to light the tires.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Josh86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2024 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh86gtSend a Private Message to Josh86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would agree to stay away from the 500 HP goal with a 3800. Its been done but the risk vs reward ratio is not favorable.
The more power mods that you add to any engine, the likely result is lower reliability. If you build a 3800SC to 400 hp; along with the engine mods expect to also do a transmission upgrade. My 3880Sc makes somewhere in the area of 300 HP and its plenty of power to light the tires.

Ok that sounds good, do you know what I would need to get 300-350?
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2024 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From what I have learned about the 3800SC, you can get to the above HP numbers pretty easily. With the Gen V supercharger, a 3.4" pulley, intercooler, freeflow 3" exhaust, N* TB, LS1 MAF 180* stat and cooler plugs you should be creating about 11 psi of boost. With a bit of dyno tuning this should get you to around the 300 hp mark using 94 octane gasoline. To go further you would need some head porting, and a hot cam. I would go with valvetrain and Camshaft recommendations that ZZ presents in their You Tube videos. The result should get you into the 12's in the 1/4 mile and IMO that's quite fast.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Josh86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2024 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh86gtSend a Private Message to Josh86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From what I have learned about the 3800SC, you can get to the above HP numbers pretty easily. With the Gen V supercharger, a 3.4" pulley, intercooler, freeflow 3" exhaust, N* TB, LS1 MAF 180* stat and cooler plugs you should be creating about 11 psi of boost. With a bit of dyno tuning this should get you to around the 300 hp mark using 94 octane gasoline. To go further you would need some head porting, and a hot cam. I would go with valvetrain and Camshaft recommendations that ZZ presents in their You Tube videos. The result should get you into the 12's in the 1/4 mile and IMO that's quite fast.

Okay thanks that sounds good
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2024 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I do not have all of the specialized performance parts or exotic tuning on my Series III 3800 SC, but do get good dyno results with a conservative tune along with a N* TV, headers, half stack intercoler, a VS cam and a couple of other things. IIRC the dyno indicated around 295 HP at the wheels with similar torque numbers. If anyone is interested, I will see if I can dig out the actual mods and dyno sheet.

Nelson

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock