86 Fiero SE crank no spark by 86fierorestoproject
Started on: 10-21-2024 06:50 PM
Replies: 5 (80 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 10-27-2024 10:22 AM
86fierorestoproject

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2024 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierorestoprojectSend a Private Message to 86fierorestoprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so me and my dad are trying to get my Fiero (2.8 v6) running again after it shut off on me about 3 years ago (yes it's been that long) figured out it was the fuel pump but then also found out the cam was eating itself up so we swapped it and are ready to break it in, but we have no spark now. We've swapped coils, we have power going into the distributor but nothing coming out. I'm thinking it could be the rotor or that little module inside the distributor. If y'all got any ideas I'd love to here em. Thanks in advance

-Nolan

[This message has been edited by 86fierorestoproject (edited 10-21-2024).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2024 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been into Fieros for 30 years, I couldn't tell ya what engine an SE has. Please mention what engine you have when posting. Thanks.
86fierorestoproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2024 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierorestoprojectSend a Private Message to 86fierorestoprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I've been into Fieros for 30 years, I couldn't tell ya what engine an SE has. Please mention what engine you have when posting. Thanks.

Sorry forgot to add that, 2.8 V6
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2024 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Please don't start new threads for the same issue. Let's continue in this, the original thread.

Originally posted by 86fierorestoproject Here:

continuing on the post from Monday, (no spark, 2.8 v6) i traced it to the ignition module. replaced that and it started, ran for about two seconds and died. (car hasn't ran in three years ever since it shut off on me, we put a new cam and lifters and fuel pump in) were getting everything we need, and base timing is set perfectly, but it just sputters and sputters and almost starts, but doesn't. we need it to run so we can break in the cam and set advance timing. any help appreciated.

Sometimes it's not actually the ICM itself which is at fault. It could be the pickup coil, it could even be just poor contact at the various electrical connections/plugs.

Did you confirm that TDC of #1 actually lines up with 0° on the timing scale? The outer ring of old harmonic balancers are known to slip, throwing off the timing markers.

Did you apply proper heatsink compound (not grease) between the ICM and the base of the distributor?

Will the spark jump a 1/4" gap to ground outside of the combustion chamber?
Yellow-88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2024 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow-88Send a Private Message to Yellow-88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierorestoproject:

Ok so me and my dad are trying to get my Fiero (2.8 v6) running again after it shut off on me about 3 years ago (yes it's been that long) figured out it was the fuel pump but then also found out the cam was eating itself up so we swapped it and are ready to break it in, but we have no spark now. We've swapped coils, we have power going into the distributor but nothing coming out. I'm thinking it could be the rotor or that little module inside the distributor. If y'all got any ideas I'd love to here em. Thanks in advance

-Nolan

Hi

You have "..power going into the distributer but nothing coming out .. " So .. you have 12 volts at both sides of the coil and at the end of the lead going into the IAC with the ignition on. ? That narrows it to "stuff" inside the distributer and there is a lot written about that. ( IAC, pickup coil and connections.) Do you have a spark from the coil wire?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2024 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can test the coil with a multi-meter. On the primary you must measure a resistance of about 1 ohm or less. The secondary should measure 30,000 to 50,000 ohms or more.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-27-2024).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock