Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  86 Fiero SE 2.8 Auto has spark now but struggles to start

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
86 Fiero SE 2.8 Auto has spark now but struggles to start by 86fierorestoproject
Started on: 10-23-2024 03:12 PM
Replies: 1 (39 views)
Last post by: Mike in Sydney on 10-24-2024 07:16 PM
86fierorestoproject

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2024 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierorestoprojectSend a Private Message to 86fierorestoprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
continuing on the post from Monday, (no spark, 2.8 v6) i traced it to the ignition module. replaced that and it started, ran for about two seconds and died. (car hasn't ran in three years ever since it shut off on me, we put a new cam and lifters and fuel pump in) were getting everything we need, and base timing is set perfectly, but it just sputters and sputters and almost starts, but doesn't. we need it to run so we can break in the cam and set advance timing. any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

-Nolan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2024 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may have a new fuel pump but have you checked your fuel pressure readings? Fuel pumps can be bad out of the box.

Suggest you check your fuel pressure right after you turn the ignition on without starting the engine. (You should hear the fuel pump "whine") A reading of around 40-47 psi is good. Then see how long it takes the pressure to fall. An immediate drop is bad. It should hold at least 40 PSI pressure for several minutes. If it doesn't you could have a leak in the fuel line in the tank ( it needs to be submersible fuel line), a bad fuel pressure regulator or some other issue.

If the fuel pump is OK, check for vacuum leaks. That's what I had when I recently put an '86 SE back on the road after it had set for 10+ years. BTW, I put in a new fuel pump, too and it was bad straight out of the box. It would not develop enough pressure to keep the care running.
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock