Rust Revolution by AngelOf86
Started on: 10-25-2024 02:35 AM
Replies: 13 (181 views)
Last post by: TakeTwo on 10-27-2024 01:20 PM
AngelOf86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2024 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AngelOf86Send a Private Message to AngelOf86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I found this mess when taking a look under my fiero before starting my 4.3 swap and found "car cancer" it looks bad but I've taken a screw driver to it beating, stabbing, scratching and prying at it and all I'm getting is dust not flakes or chunks. I'm getting a quote for sand blasting and rust repair right now. I love this car, it's my first ever car I promised I'd never give up on it like it's past owners and give it a second chance, but I'm scared it's gonna be bad and I'll have no choice. Looks like surface rust on the frame. I wish that guy would've told me or let me check the VIN first. There was none shown in the listing when I saw it and no history or undercarriage pictures were provided.This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

------------------
AngelOf86

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2024 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum. The best source for information on the internet. You picked a good car but, if it is your first car, you are young. The Fiero is low to the ground and can be hard to inspect without a lift. A trusted shop* could have given you a insightful evaluation for a fair price. Money well spent.

No insult but you could have seen the VIN# before you handed him your cash. You, being in Arizona, most likely have nothing to worry about. No need for sand blasting. Wire brush the spots you are concerned about and repaint.

Your pictures are not viewable. Again, no insult. I can't post them and have been here for awhile.

Welcome to the addiction.
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2024 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree, if that is as bad as it is I would not sand blast. I would remove any parts that are in the way to gain access to the area that need to have the rust removed. Wire brush well, use a rust reformer, check Eastwood products or I like Pro 15 that will encapsulate the rust. Then use your chose of paint to go over that. Hope this helps.

Jack
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2024 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Photos converted from Heic format to JPG. Is that a home made trailer hitch?

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-25-2024).]

AngelOf86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2024 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AngelOf86Send a Private Message to AngelOf86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Photos converted from Heic format to JPG. Is that a home made trailer hitch?

🤣 i think so. I bought him like that.

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2024 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The muffler spring bracket needs to be bolted to where the arrow points. It might be a pain with the springs attached.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-25-2024).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2024 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10458 posts
Member since Aug 2007
Your biggest concern is behind the rear wheelwell covers. Remove the rear wheels, then loosen the wheel well liners so you can peek inside. Here are the bad and good examples. If your car looks like the first picture, the car is no good without serious reconstruction. If it looks like the 2nd pic, you're perfect. Your photos seem to only have surface rust but check the rear frame as I said before you do anything else.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2024 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your biggest concern is behind the rear wheelwell covers... Your photos seem to only have surface rust but check the rear frame as I said before you do anything else.

She's been previously warned.

Originally posted by Patrick Here:

I don't suppose the rear upper frame rails were checked for rust before purchasing this Fiero?

I'm not saying that this is necessarily going to be the situation here, but 30+/- year old cars often have frames and/or suspension that are completely rotted away.

Don't start putting money into this car until it's been determined that it was actually worthwhile buying. Not trying to be a buzz-killer, but so many people have come through here over the years and realized too late that they bought a fine "looking" Fiero (because the body panels don't rust) only to discover it's a basket-case under the pretty facade.

AngelOf86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2024 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AngelOf86Send a Private Message to AngelOf86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

She's been previously warned.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick Here:

I don't suppose the rear upper frame rails were checked for rust before purchasing this Fiero?

I'm not saying that this is necessarily going to be the situation here, but 30+/- year old cars often have frames and/or suspension that are completely rotted away.

Don't start putting money into this car until it's been determined that it was actually worthwhile buying. Not trying to be a buzz-killer, but so many people have come through here over the years and realized too late that they bought a fine "looking" Fiero (because the body panels don't rust) only to discover it's a basket-case under the pretty facade.

[/QUOTE]
Either way I'm fully prepared and ready to repair. I promised I'd fix this car. I'm going to fix it. Im gonna start sandblasting it soon after I strip the body panels off.

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2024 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AngelOf86:

Either way I'm fully prepared and ready to repair. I promised I'd fix this car. I'm going to fix it. Im gonna start sandblasting it soon after I strip the body panels off.

Well then, kick some ass Just keep us up to date with the progress
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2024 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw:
Your pictures are not viewable

A Helping Post Tip:
The PFF server has a maximum width {1800 pixels} so please convert {edit} your images if they are bigger than that
Sign-In on PFF BEFORE starting a post which you want to add photos
Then use the Upload Media tab at the lower left of the posting box {please always 'skip' a line before adding another image in the post}
Use the "Preview" tab which you can see the results before the "Submit Reply" tab

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2024 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

The PFF server has a maximum width {1800 pixels} so please convert {edit} your images if they are bigger than that

Just to clarify, the maximum width allowed here is 1920 pixels, and the maximum file size for each image should be no larger than 2 MB.

The biggest problem with the images that the OP is trying to upload/post is that they're HEIC as opposed to JPG. The simplest solution for her is to change her phone's camera settings so that its images are stored as JPGs.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2024 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Holy crap... what am I looking at here? I know the upper frame-rail is completely gone... but it looks like the entire chassis as collapsed in on itself, and the spring perch is now like over a foot higher than the rest of the car, am I seeing that correctly?

What happened to the lower frame-rail, did that collapse too? There's a lower frame rail that also supports the spring perch, and should entirely prevent that from happening. That looks absolutely crazy.
TakeTwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2024 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TakeTwoSend a Private Message to TakeTwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a thread about rails and fabricating replacements in the archives which I used on an '87 GT I restored. It was quite the endeavor time wise but worth the effort IMO. I braced everything before removing anything so it would not 'settle' or move. I tacked the replacement rails in place and had a professional welder stop by and finish weld everything. If I can find the pictures I'll post them, it came out very nicely but over 70 hrs of labor was involved, albeit I'm very methodical and work slowly. Even with bracing I had to pull both sides inwards with a frame puller, it was off after welding. Last I checked the new owner had put over 20k miles on it without any issues and the alignment shop had no issues.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock