Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Horn button assembly - is one of these parts wrong?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Horn button assembly - is one of these parts wrong? by Trinten
Started on: 10-27-2024 12:14 AM
Replies: 5 (51 views)
Last post by: Vintage-Nut on 10-27-2024 09:33 AM
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2024 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I found a guy on ebay who was selling all the internal parts for the horn - the metal 'plunger', spring, and plastic part.
I jumped on it, as I was missing all of these things, and the dorman kit did not work.

I put it together, and it seems either the plunger is too short, or the spring is too long. Here are some pictures. I didn't think to get out the micrometer to measure the plunger, but one pic has all three components next to each other.

If someone could let me know what I need to change here. If this is all original Fiero stuff, I didn't want to start cutting the spring or throw out the plunger. Thankfully the little plastic thing is in perfect condition!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2024 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trinten:

So I found a guy on ebay who was selling all the internal parts for the horn - the metal 'plunger', spring, and plastic part.
I jumped on it, as I was missing all of these things, and the dorman kit did not work.

I put it together, and it seems either the plunger is too short, or the spring is too long. Here are some pictures. I didn't think to get out the micrometer to measure the plunger, but one pic has all three components next to each other.

If someone could let me know what I need to change here. If this is all original Fiero stuff, I didn't want to start cutting the spring or throw out the plunger. Thankfully the little plastic thing is in perfect condition!

I'll try to check today when my daughter and I work on the car, and see what hers looks like, if it's still in there.
1985 Fiero GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2024 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could be wrong, but the position it is in looks to me like the "pressed"position, with the spring somehow lined up wrong and holding the plunger compressed, like you said it just doesn't look right, but the individual parts look normal
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2024 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1985 Fiero GT

671 posts
Member since May 2023
I looked at mine, spring goes in first, by itself, then nail with head on spring, then plastic thing
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2024 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985 Fiero GT:

I looked at mine, spring goes in first, by itself, then nail with head on spring, then plastic thing

Thank you. Wow, once you said it, it was like "duh, of course that's how it should be!"

Well I'm glad I have the right parts, and apparently was just not able to get my brain out of "click-pen-assembly" mode!
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2024 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps this link by Jazzman with photos will help on page 65......

https://www.crankshaftcoali...ing_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay