GT fastback tail lamp restoration service - updated by gtoformula
Started on: 11-13-2023 02:41 PM
Replies: 0 (212 views)
Last post by: gtoformula on 11-13-2023 02:41 PM
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2023 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE (11-11-2023) Starting next year, I will only be able to work on tail lamps from October-May. During part of May through October I will be out of state and unable to work on these lenses. If you are considering have me restore your tail lamps, please note these dates and plan accordingly. Thank you.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
April 2023. After a four year hiatus, I have decided to offer my Fiero GT tail lamp restoration service again. I stopped doing them when Keith Goodyear came out with his replacement lenses as I didn't want him to have competition for his outstanding efforts to bring us new parts. Now that those new lenses are no longer available, I can do restorations again without interfering with his business.

Below is a link to Rodney Dickman's website where he recommends my service.
http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=373

*****NEW DEAL***** The price for restoration of a set of tail lamps, if shipped with the housings, is $425. If I am shipped only the lenses then the amount will be $350. If interested, please send me a PM. That way I'll receive an email alerting me to your message.
Thanks,
Rick

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
September 2019. I am offering a Fiero GT tail lamp restoration service as did Napoleon_Tanerite until about a year ago. I have swapped messages with him and he is OK with my offering this service. Pretty much duplicating his services except I don't paint the housing black ... doesn't show when mounted on the car. Here is the link to his post: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/073299.html

The process is as follows:
• complete disassembly and cleaning of all components.
• polishing of the clear inner lenses.
• prep the outer surface of the lenses with wet/dry sandpaper.
• apply tape around the large lens opening (turn signal, brake light area) and also each letter of P O N T I A C that are back lit in red.
• spray a thin coat of black paint on the lenses.
• remove all taping and then lightly sand the black painted areas to reduce the paint edges.
• spray the lenses with two part professional grade clear coat. Cures hard as a rock.
• final polish for a very shiny, clear surface.
• reassemble the components using black weather-strip adhesive (if restoring the complete assemblies).

Here's how this will work:
- send me a PM and we'll swap contact info.
- ship your tail lamps or lenses to me. You'll save money on shipping by just sending me the lenses. That's where all the work is done anyway. Here's a link on how to separate the lenses from the housing if you want to go that route: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000042.html
- use good packaging as I'll be sending the completed lenses back to you in the same packaging.
- when I receive them I will send you a confirmation message along with any issues that I find ... cracks, deep gouges, factory flaws (yes, I've seen several). This is to ensure that we both know any limitations prior to my beginning work.
- I may be able to repair some cracks in the lenses ... particularly when they're confined to the black area of the lens. I use a very fine viscosity super glue, but if the crack is too fine, or too large, it may not completely repair the crack. Also, if the crack extends into the clear portion of the lens they that will show after the process has been completed. I have an example pic of before and after below.
- I cannot repair any broken plastic "hooks" on the housings that clip onto the lenses. It doesn't matter much as the sealant used to reassemble them will hold it together.
- I can also repair the housing lower mounts for about $10 unless they are totally destroyed.
- when they're finished I'll follow up with another message and provide a total for the work and shipping. PayPal and Zelle is accepted.

Turn around time will vary depending on weather and my schedule ... usually about one week. Can't paint when it's too humid. I am retired, but like to go camping so that could cause a delay. Figure a turn around time of about two weeks as a worst case scenario. I'll advise before you ship if I know of any potential hold ups.

Lens sanded and taped ... ready for black paint.

Before black paint ... notice the severe delamination in the area above the lettering.

Same area after the process is complete. No delamination. Please ignore the finger prints.

Lens prior to any painting. The cracks in the plastic are completely through the lens.

Same area of the lens after gluing, black paint and clear coat process. The cracked area is no longer visible. Sorry about poor focus in this image.

Lenses after completed process. Poor photography again. Glob in the center of the lower lens is stuff on the orange blanket. Weird stuff in the right side of the same lens is a reflection.

All parts cleaned, painted and ready for reassembly.

Final product.

Paragraph shamelessly lifted from Napoleon_Tanerite's post. He has the same perspective as I do regarding his work.
"I will treat your lights like they're my own-- that means I will handle and care for them like they were going on my own car-- and I will finish them in a way I would be proud to put on my car."
I'm a retired Fiero owner who is offering this service to fellow enthusiasts. This is not a big money maker for me as there are definite costs of supplies such as different tapes, several grades of sand paper, black paint, two-part clear coat, super glue, sealants, etc. Plus it takes a ton of time to do these right. My wife is not thrilled with me taking on this project, but I figure I'd toss it out and see if anyone's interested.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)
next newest topic | next oldest topic

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock