WTB: Newer Style Radiator Fan Shroud by Matthew_Fiero
Started on: 05-27-2024 04:05 PM
Replies: 9 (195 views)
Last post by: Matthew_Fiero on 06-10-2024 12:24 PM
Matthew_Fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2024 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

Looking for the newer style radiator fan shroud. Motor not required.

I picked one up the other day and for some reason the one I have the fan opening is way too small.

Thank you.
Matthew

[This message has been edited by Matthew_Fiero (edited 05-28-2024).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2024 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think all the shrouds are the same. Are you trying to install a newer aftermarket fan? If so check out you tube for a nember of 'how to' videos.
thelinsells

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2024 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes , I have the newer fan shroud.The difference is in the size of the motor.And the motor is available at any parts store.
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2024 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the shroud cut already of the older style and the opening of it is much too small for a 16" fan. It's not even close to fitting. I believe the newer style has a 1"+ inch dia larger fan.

[This message has been edited by Matthew_Fiero (edited 05-27-2024).]

Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2024 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Matthew_Fiero

2809 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by steve308:

I think all the shrouds are the same. Are you trying to install a newer aftermarket fan? If so check out you tube for a nember of 'how to' videos.

Yes this is what I am doing. However, the style I found which came with the strapped on relay is smaller than I expected. The Proform 67016 fan is much larger than the shroud opening. Even the fan diameter itself (not counting the shroud of the aftermarket fan is larger.
thelinsells

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2024 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All Fiero fan shrouds are interchangable.The motor on the newer one is larger.You can't get the older fan motor. the newer fan motor can be bought at any parts store.I have a newer fan shroud with a good motor. It will bolt up any standard Fiero.
steve308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2024 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you post a picture of what you are stumped on? I just did the 16 inch universal fan conversion and had no issues. Simply cut out the four arms that held the old fan and motor, and sanded the plastic burrs smooth. (A Variable-Speed Oscillating Multi-Tool makes quick work of it.) On the motor I had to trim off four 'tabs' that prevented the unit from dropping neatly into the shroud, used the four provided holes in the new fans frame to drill and mount the unit to the shroud after I reversed the fan so it would pull . On some you do need to reverse the wiring. Now if your car is an 84 maybe the shroud is different?
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2024 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can you post a picture of what you are stumped on? I just did the 16 inch universal fan conversion and had no issues. Simply cut out the four arms that held the old fan and motor, and sanded the plastic burrs smooth. (A Variable-Speed Oscillating Multi-Tool makes quick work of it.) On the motor I had to trim off four 'tabs' that prevented the unit from dropping neatly into the shroud, used the four provided holes in the new fans frame to drill and mount the unit to the shroud after I reversed the fan so it would pull . On some you do need to reverse the wiring. Now if your car is an 84 maybe the shroud is different?

What I didn't realize is I had the older style shroud which has a smaller (~14") fan. Whereas the later style shroud had a 16" fan. I could cut out the shroud opening to accommodate the fan diameter but I know it will look terrible and would rather get the appropriate shroud. I found it sitting on the driver seat of a Fiero and it was likely from an 84 because it has the relay bolted to it. The later style has a plug in directly to the fan motor and a larger shroud opening.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

As you can see the fan is larger than the shroud.

Matthew

[This message has been edited by Matthew_Fiero (edited 05-30-2024).]

steve308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2024 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep. Hope you can find a later shroud to fit the 16 inch fan or just get a 14 inch fan and call it good.

I'm happy with my fan conversion. Moves more air, pulls less power and is much more quiet then the OE fan.

Good luck!
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2024 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yep. Hope you can find a later shroud to fit the 16 inch fan or just get a 14 inch fan and call it good.

I'm happy with my fan conversion. Moves more air, pulls less power and is much more quiet then the OE fan.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Still no luck here. If anyone happens to come across one can you please let me know? Thank you!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock