Simplify Flywheel Swap Please by rehoward
Started on: 06-17-2024 01:33 AM
Replies: 3 (100 views)
Last post by: shemdogg on 06-19-2024 08:15 AM
rehoward

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2024 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rehowardSend a Private Message to rehowardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1986 Fiero with the manual 5 speed trans and 2.8 V6. I am planning to put a 2004 3800SC motor in it this summer.
I have read thread after thread on what flywheel to use for the swap and it seems that there are a lot of varying opinions on
this topic.

I was hoping that someone can cut through all the mud and just say what needs to be done. It looks like I can use a stock 3800
flywheel if I have the face thickness machined down. If true, machined to what dimension? After machining will it need to be surface ground?
I have also read that it will need to be rebalanced. Rebalanced to what spec? I assume the average machine shop will have no clue regarding this
so what can I do?

And lastly, I would like to put a higher performance clutch disc in it and also a pressure plate with increased pressure to handle the SC's torque.
Where can I find these without breaking the bank? And while I am thinking of it, will the 3800 throw-out bearing, throw-out fork, and linkage work
for the swap?

I am retired and on a tight budget so I need to get this done without buying high priced racy stuff with an expensive name. I don't have extra money to spend
for fancy names.

I was considering buying a new flywheel from Rock Auto, which are cheap, and having it machined and balanced. Maybe a factory HD clutch exists for a 3800 or something
similar and which is more affordable than name brands?

I plan on tweaking the SC with a smaller pulley and incorporating an intercooler. Need cheap alternatives for these items as well.

So there it is. Horsepower on the cheap. I am sure there are items out there that will work without paying the high price of fancy names. Help me out here.

Thanks!

Randy
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2024 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rehoward:

I have a 1986 Fiero with the manual 5 speed trans and 2.8 V6. I am planning to put a 2004 3800SC motor in it this summer.
I have read thread after thread on what flywheel to use for the swap and it seems that there are a lot of varying opinions on
this topic.

I was hoping that someone can cut through all the mud and just say what needs to be done. It looks like I can use a stock 3800
flywheel if I have the face thickness machined down. If true, machined to what dimension? After machining will it need to be surface ground?
I have also read that it will need to be rebalanced. Rebalanced to what spec? I assume the average machine shop will have no clue regarding this
so what can I do?

And lastly, I would like to put a higher performance clutch disc in it and also a pressure plate with increased pressure to handle the SC's torque.
Where can I find these without breaking the bank? And while I am thinking of it, will the 3800 throw-out bearing, throw-out fork, and linkage work
for the swap?

I am retired and on a tight budget so I need to get this done without buying high priced racy stuff with an expensive name. I don't have extra money to spend
for fancy names.

I was considering buying a new flywheel from Rock Auto, which are cheap, and having it machined and balanced. Maybe a factory HD clutch exists for a 3800 or something
similar and which is more affordable than name brands?

I plan on tweaking the SC with a smaller pulley and incorporating an intercooler. Need cheap alternatives for these items as well.

So there it is. Horsepower on the cheap. I am sure there are items out there that will work without paying the high price of fancy names. Help me out here.

Thanks!

Randy

Long story short, get a machined flywheel from Fierorog (buying your own and machining it is rarely good enough as they need to be properly counter balanced. if a shop can match the counterbalance profile from the stock unmachined flywheel to the machined one (before and after) then go for it)

8 new GM flywheel to crankshaft mounting bolts, p/n: 24505092, or ARP, but I don't remember the part number.

Clutch, for a stock 3800 Supercharged engine in a Fiero will require a Spec 3+ (NOT the Spec 3, which chatters) that is for your specific transmission.

6 new GM or ARP Clutch bolts

as for cutting through the muck as you asked....https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/139530.html
Fiero Austin has already created a fantastic guide to 3800 convert Fieros. He updates it too.

Also, this needs to be posted in the Technical/Advice section. The Mall is for Sales and Trades

[This message has been edited by gtxbullet (edited 06-18-2024).]

rehoward

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2024 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rehowardSend a Private Message to rehowardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, what am I missing? The last reply seems to have no content except for quoting me.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2024 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just messaged you his phone number

shem

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock