Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Lifted Astro Van - A Build Thread (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Lifted Astro Van - A Build Thread by OKflyboy
Started on: 01-22-2011 11:31 AM
Replies: 51 (12865 views)
Last post by: Zeb on 04-30-2014 04:20 PM
OKflyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, it begins:

Over the course of the next few weeks I will be lifting my 2003 2WD Astro Van.

Trying to go from this (Mine):

To this (NOT Mine):

I am not purchasing the all-inclusive kit for Overlandvans.com, I will be making my own kit. Instead of their $300 kit, I will be doing this for less then $50.

I have just purchase the body spacers to lift the front from Amazon, $20:

And I will be purchasing these shackles from Autozone, for about $28 (Package says they're for a 2" drop, but can be used to lift as well):

The consequence of raising the body in the front is a 2" gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the grill, this can be remedied by purchasing new raised bumper brackets (@ $160 for the pair, an additional cost NOT included in the $160 lift kit), however, the upper and lower mounting holes for the brackets are 2" apart, so you can also put the bottom hole of the bracket into the top hole of the mount, and it raises the bumper 2", for free.

This is the first time I've attempted anything like this, so I'm sure there's going to be some mistakes and some cursing. Also for the record, I do not intend to do any off-roading with this van, this is strictly for clearance for larger tires and to ditch the soccer-mom look of the mini-van. If I were intending to off-road I would probably stick with the Overlanvans.com parts, as they are built with off-roading in mind.

Stay tuned. As soon as the pucks arrive I will proceed.

------------------
Read my Earthship thread in Totally O/T
si vis pacem, para bellum

"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is so hard to understand?!

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 03-25-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Interesting idea, although I never fully understood why anyone would want to lift/offroad a van
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those vans were available in a 4 wheel drive version so they came lifted. I think it should work fine and you will save a lot of money doing it your way. My only concern is the rear shackles. The front end is a standard control arm type and you already will be raising the body evenly. The shackles may give you the drag race look where the rear end is higher than the front.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two items have you within 2 dollars of 50 bucks.

Cheaper may not be better in all cases. Though, I agree this is going to be a nice project to watch.

Brad
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a shame that yours is only the 2WD. But either way it will look a lot better. Don't take corners too fast, my stock Astro felt like it was gonna tip over when I owned it, I'm not sure some extra height would inspire much confidence in me.
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am actually looking at purchasing one, are the 2wd ones FWD or RWD? I believe they are fwd but not really sure.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

I am actually looking at purchasing one, are the 2wd ones FWD or RWD? I believe they are fwd but not really sure.

All of them are rear wheel drive with the standard straight axle rear end.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe they made a AWD one too. Interesting project you have. Last lifted van I have seen, has a older Econoline.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

craigsfiero2007

3979 posts
Member since Aug 2007

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

Interesting idea, although I never fully understood why anyone would want to lift/offroad a van

So you can take all of your friends and family off-roading or trailing or if you wanted to cross the Mexican Border illegally. LOL! :P J/K
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I am a little "slow." Since the Astro is a full-frame van, and all the body mounting points are related to one another, how can you do a body lift on the front and not on the back? Would that not create a "wedge" shape between the frame and body (space in the front and no space at the rear)? If so, that would mean that you would need progressively shorter spacers. OR, are you using the body lift evenly around the frame AND shackles in the rear for more lift in the rear?

I am NOT trying to flame by any means, just trying to understand how that would work...
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by psychosurfer:

Okay, I am a little "slow." Since the Astro is a full-frame van...

It is not a full frame. It has a front sub-frame and the rear body is a boxed sheetmetal unibody/frame. Astros have always been unibody.
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

......how can you do a body lift on the front and not on the back?

Hmmm, I didn't catch that at first. I had to re-read his post. Now that you mentioned it I wonder how you use spacers on ONLY the front and shackles on the rear? I thought you were lifting the entire body AND using the shackles which is why I made the statement in my previous post about the rear end looking like a drag car. I thought you would have to replace all of the body mounts with the spacers.
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cooter:

It is not a full frame. It has a front sub-frame and the rear body is a boxed sheetmetal unibody/frame. Astros have always been unibody.

I am by NO means any level of expert on Astros, but I thought the AWD Astro shared a frame with the GMC Typhoon (and I assume Syclone); though, it may be just that I recall them sharing transfer cases or cross members or something.... Hmmmm.... Can you help me with that? For the record, I am pretty sure I have never bent down to look under an Astro.

EDIT: Okay, so I have searched Astros (and found some AMAZING vans!!!) ! It seems that it is a front sub-frame, but the GMC SyTy transfer case is shared. So, that said, you would be able to raise the front with spacers and the rear with shackles as the OP stated. Now, does anyone know if the Astro shares spindles with the S-10 (2WD)?

[This message has been edited by psychosurfer (edited 01-22-2011).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, to answer a few questions:

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:
Interesting idea, although I never fully understood why anyone would want to lift/offroad a van.

Same reason I painted my wrecked '97 Malibu camouflage - for the hell of it. Well, mainly because I am still a little bummed about having to surrender my 02 Z28 for a minivan and I want to ditch the soccer-mom-ness as quickly as possible. Also because I want to put larger, more aggressive tires to handle the OK snow and mud, and 235/75/15s don't fit well without rubbing, without a lift.

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Those vans were available in a 4 wheel drive version so they came lifted. I think it should work fine and you will save a lot of money doing it your way.

There was never a 4x4 version of the Astro, there was AWD versions, but never 4x4. Also, there was never a factory-lifted option. Overlandvans, while not the first to lift an Astro, was the first company to sell a lift-kit for the Astro, and they've only been around since 2004.

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Two items have you within 2 dollars of 50 bucks.
Cheaper may not be better in all cases.

True, but $50 is not $320. the OLV kit is $320, and includes body spacers, shackles, and raised bumper brackets. I've purchased my own body spacers, my own shackles and have no need for the bumper brackets. I'm not doing anything different from the kit, other then sourcing my own parts. (I work in a Parts store, so I'm getting a discount on the shackles, BTW)

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

That's a shame that yours is only the 2WD. But either way it will look a lot better. Don't take corners too fast, my stock Astro felt like it was gonna tip over when I owned it, I'm not sure some extra height would inspire much confidence in me.

Yeah, I wanted an AWD, but none were available at the time I was looking. I don't take corners fast in this already, as I know it is NOT my Z28, I'll be careful, I promise.

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

The 2WD Astros are RWD.

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
My only concern is the rear shackles. The front end is a standard control arm type and you already will be raising the body evenly. The shackles may give you the drag race look where the rear end is higher than the front.

Okay, I am a little "slow." Since the Astro is a full-frame van, and all the body mounting points are related to one another, how can you do a body lift on the front and not on the back? Would that not create a "wedge" shape between the frame and body (space in the front and no space at the rear)? If so, that would mean that you would need progressively shorter spacers. OR, are you using the body lift evenly around the frame AND shackles in the rear for more lift in the rear?

No, as you've already discovered, the Astro has a subframe up front, so you can lift the front easily with spacers. The rear must be lifted by means of the suspension. The "easiest" would probably be leaf-spring "blocks", but the Astro leaf springs put those blocks in a position to fail rather quickly. The next best thing is to install shackles to lower the spring, thereby raising the ride height.

Okay, so I have searched Astros (and found some AMAZING vans!!!) ! It seems that it is a front sub-frame, but the GMC SyTy transfer case is shared. So, that said, you would be able to raise the front with spacers and the rear with shackles as the OP stated. Now, does anyone know if the Astro shares spindles with the S-10 (2WD)?

Yes, the already existing AWD Astro's transfer-case was "borrowed" for the SyTys but as to the 2WDs sharing spindles with the S-10s, I have no idea on that one...

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 01-23-2011).]

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So your doing a body lift......there is a lot more to it then just the spacers.......
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

So your doing a body lift......there is a lot more to it then just the spacers.......

I'm not doing a full body lift, technically, since this is a subframe, I'm just lowering the subframe. I will also need longer hardware. On that, since I am unsure of the size, I'm just going to take the bolts out, take them to Fastenall and say "I need these 2 inches longer, in grade 10"

If you want an idea of what I am duplicating, read here:

http://chevroletforum.com/f...owthread.php?t=25553

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you're done with the lift, here is the paint scheme you should use.

Jim
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Jim

I'd rock the A-Team van for sure!
Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jim

And a V-8.
86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The A-Team Van is not an Astro. It's a G20. And they didn't lift the van. They put larger wheels in the rear and lower profile ones in the front, to give it an aggressive stance. I'm not sure the one pictured is what was used in the show. In fact, due to the lack of side exhaust I would say it's not. Though to be fair, they did have many vans that they shot with, including stunt vans that weren't even GMC's. I remember this Ford that they ran through a billboard, that had no gunmetal color on top, had painted red hubcaps, and was obviously an econoline. lol.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierofun:

The A-Team Van is not an Astro. It's a G20. And they didn't lift the van. They put larger wheels in the rear and lower profile ones in the front, to give it an aggressive stance. I'm not sure the one pictured is what was used in the show. In fact, due to the lack of side exhaust I would say it's not. Though to be fair, they did have many vans that they shot with, including stunt vans that weren't even GMC's. I remember this Ford that they ran through a billboard, that had no gunmetal color on top, had painted red hubcaps, and was obviously an econoline. lol.

Let me know when the stick is out of your rear, and maybe this can be a fun conversation. I know good and well the A-Team van was not an Astro. Relax a little.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 01-23-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kekipi:
And a V-8.

Yup.

You know that a V8 into an Astro is pretty much a bolt-in, right?
They've been doing V8 S10s forever. The Astro is infinitely easier.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Let me know when the stick is out of your rear, and maybe this can be a fun conversation. I know good and well the A-Team van was not an Astro. Relax a little.

Jim

That was meant to be informative, not a dick post. I failed at that. Sorry.

It took me a long time to find anything informative on the A-team van back in the day. Lots of replicas have been made, even from things like the VW bus. I absolutely love the Ateam. I own all the seasons. I didn't mean for that to come across as being prickish, but I guess it did. so i'll let my involvement die with the following:

If you need more space, you can try this:

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That was meant to be informative, not a dick post. I failed at that. Sorry.

It took me a long time to find anything informative on the A-team van back in the day. Lots of replicas have been made, even from things like the VW bus. I absolutely love the Ateam. I own all the seasons. I didn't mean for that to come across as being prickish, but I guess it did. so i'll let my involvement die with the following:

If you need more space, you can try this:

It's all good. Sometimes things come across different than we intend them. I have failed in this respect several times. It's why I don't write for a living. Don't let your involvement die. You are passionate, nothing wrong with that. That is a sweet trailor, but I smell a photoshop.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 01-24-2011).]

Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Yup.

You know that a V8 into an Astro is pretty much a bolt-in, right?
They've been doing V8 S10s forever. The Astro is infinitely easier.

Yeah the mounts switch from left to right and drill new holes. Hi Raydar
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's all good. Sometimes things come across different than we intend them. I have failed in this respect several times. It's why I don't write for a living. Don't let your involvement die. You are passionate, nothing wrong with that. That is a sweet trailor, but I smell a photoshop.

Jim

Oh its definately a photoshop. The site I got it from also turned it into an accordion style bus. Lol.

Edit: for everyone's enjoyment:

From here: http://www.astrosafari.com/...f=75&t=6343&start=80

[This message has been edited by 86fierofun (edited 01-25-2011).]

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
forgive me. a one minute photo chop
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

forgive me. a one minute photo chop

lol. I cant help but imagine how uncomfortable it would be to ride in that. Now do a 'vert!
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<Sigh> I've got everything I need expect the longer body mount bolts. Now i just need a break in the weather. Just got hit by another huge snowstorm!

Last Wednesday:

Last Friday:

Today:

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh its definately a photoshop.

Edit: for everyone's enjoyment:

Wow, I really like this one. Don't need the van in the bed but, that's be really cool.

------------------
Ron

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an Astro. Its a conversion with a high top. Pretty sure the AWD version sits the same as a 2 WD version. I can already crawl clear thru and under mine without using a jack. I wouldnt want it any higher, but thats just me. If anything id want to lower it. Its already more top heavy than a CJ Jeep. I know a local guy that shortened a full size Chevy van like that and another one that chopped only the front half of the roof on a Ford by a foot.
Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
Wow, I really like this one. Don't need the van in the bed but, that's be really cool.

I agree. Put some low profile ramps in the back for a Fiero Stretch the frame, longer drive shaft, longer brake lines, find a way to get some stronger springs...*continues on mumbling as he goes to do research*

EDIT To add: Now where did I put that sawzall?
http://www.cardomain.com/ri...1986-chevrolet-astro

5 foot stretch, 5 inch chop.

[This message has been edited by Silentassassin185 (edited 09-06-2011).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silentassassin185:

I agree. Put some low profile ramps in the back for a Fiero Stretch the frame, longer drive shaft, longer brake lines, find a way to get some stronger springs...*continues on mumbling as he goes to do research*

EDIT To add: Now where did I put that sawzall?
http://www.cardomain.com/ri...1986-chevrolet-astro

5 foot stretch, 5 inch chop.

Yeah, I like the idea but, I'm afraid you'd still be a little narrow.

------------------
Ron

Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok my first thught was that a lifted van was gonna look dumb but i gotta say with those tires on, it looks bad ass... are those vans 4x4?
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, totally missed this bump.

No progress since my initial posts. I bought the Volvo shortly after creating this post, and I've been putting all my time into it and school. I do have all the parts collected for the lift, I've just been trying to get the Volvo reliable enough that I'm not afraid to give it to the wife for a few days while I take her van out of commission.

Originally posted by Niterrorz:

ok my first thught was that a lifted van was gonna look dumb but i gotta say with those tires on, it looks bad ass... are those vans 4x4?

Well, some Astro vans are AWD, sadly mine is not. I'm really just lifting it for a little more ground clearance in the snow, and for the look.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 09-29-2011).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumping this up.

Now that the Volvo has her turbo, the van goes into the shop for some maintenance and a lift. Stay tuned for pics in the next day or two.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, got the front done.

Here's some quick before and after pics before I leave for work:

Before:

After (remember, front only so far):

Spacer and the modified bumper bracket (I intend to add some angle iron to that bracket so its hitting all three holes):

modifying fan shroud:

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 06-29-2012).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick bump to post that after many years in the making I finally lifted the rear thus finishing the lift project.

In the end the shackles just seemed like a little too much suspension work for a suspension noob like me so I went with leaf spring helpers instead.

I didn't keep a running total but I believe i spent about $100-$150 on this project so it came in at about half of the Overland kit. Looking back I really would rather have spent the money and bought the kit from Overland but live and learn.

I think it looks pretty good, but definitely needs new tires now.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 03-24-2014).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How's it ride with the helper springs?

Cool project. I'd forgotten all about it.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock