Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Should a woman replace Andrew Jackson on the $20? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Should a woman replace Andrew Jackson on the $20? by Gokart Mozart
Started on: 03-19-2015 07:11 PM
Replies: 61 (978 views)
Last post by: Formula88 on 05-13-2015 08:56 AM
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.womenon20s.org/

Women On 20s aims to compel historic change by convincing President Obama that NOW is the time to put a woman's face on our paper currency. But who should it be? We believe that's for you, the public, to decide from a slate of 15 inspiring American women heroes. Welcome to the voting booth. Here you may learn things about the candidates you never knew and get your questions answered about the whys and hows of our game plan. We believe this simple, symbolic and long-overdue change could be an important stepping stone for other initiatives promoting gender equality. Our money does say something about us, about what we value. So together, let’s make our money egalitarian and inclusive!

Alice Paul (1885 - 1977) Fierce crusader, hunger striker and strategist whose 10-year campaign led to women's right to vote. A lawyer and social worker, for 50 years she headed the National Women's Party, fighting for an equal rights amendment.

Betty Friedan (1921 - 2006) Her book, The Feminine Mystique, is credited with sparking the second wave of American feminism. Founder and first president of the National Organization for Women (NOW), she organized the nationwide "Women's Strike for Equality" on 50th anniversary of women's suffrage.

Shirley Chisholm (1924 - 2005) First African-American woman elected to Congress and first majority-party black candidate for U.S. President. Advocated for minorities, women and children. Changed public perception of the capabilities of women and African-Americans.

Sojourner Truth (c.1797 - 1883) Born into slavery and escaped into freedom, she sued a white man to recover her son. Illiterate, she traveled widely, speaking for abolition and women's rights. Counseled freed slaves & tried unsuccessfully to get them federal land grants.

Rachel Carson (1907 - 1964) Her work and groundbreaking books in the 1950s & '60s spurred the modern American environmental movement. A trained zoologist, her book Silent Spring exposed the dangers of pesticide use, leading to a DDT ban and creation of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Rosa Parks (1913 - 2005) Saluted by Congress as the “first lady of civil rights,” she challenged racial segregation by refusing to give up her bus seat to a white man. Her arrest, and the ensuing Montgomery bus boycott, became symbols in the struggle for racial equality and civil rights in the United States.

Barbara Jordan (1936 - 1996) First African American elected to Texas Senate after reconstruction and first black woman from deep South elected to US House of Representatives. First black woman to deliver keynote at Democratic National Convention.

Margaret Sanger (1879 - 1966) Popularized term “birth control” and opened the first U.S. birth control clinic. Arrested and tried for disseminating information on contraception. Helped in court cases leading to legalization of contraception in the United States. Pioneered Planned Parenthood.

Patsy Mink (1927 - 2002) First woman of color elected to the U.S. House of Representatives and first Asian-American in Congress. Largely responsible for passage of Title IX bill ending sex discrimination in education, including in athletics.

Clara Barton (1821 - 1912) Pioneering nurse who first brought medical care to the front lines during the Civil War. She earned the nickname "the angel of the battlefield." Coordinated national effort to locate Civil War soldiers missing in action. Founded the American Red Cross.

Harriet Tubman (c.1822 - 1913) Born a slave, she fled North to freedom, later making 19 trips back to the South as an Underground Railroad conductor, leading some 300 slaves to freedom. A nurse during the Civil War, she served the Union army as a scout and spy. She was active in the women's suffrage movement after the war.

Frances Perkins (1880 - 1965) FDR's four-term labor secretary, she was the first woman cabinet member in US history. Introduced the Social Security Act, Civilian Conservation Corps, Public Works Administration, minimum wage, 40-hour workweek and laws against child labor.

Susan B. Anthony (1820 - 1906) A leader in both the abolition & suffrage movements. In a 50-year partnership with Elizabeth Cady Stanton, she established organizations, petition drives and publications, while campaigning widely for passage of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution giving women the vote.

Eleanor Roosevelt (1884 - 1962) Redefined the role of First Lady. Used her newspaper column, radio and speeches to champion civil and women's rights, often in opposition to her husband FDR’s policies. As a UN delegate and “First Lady of the World,” she drafted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1815 - 1902) Called the “founding genius” of the women's rights movement. She convened the 1848 Seneca Falls Convention, declaring, "We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men and women are created equal," inspiring a generation of suffragists.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:
Should a woman replace Andrew Jackson on the $20?

No.
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-19-2015 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
None of the above.....if they had time to get their picture taken, they evidently weren't in the kitchen doing their jobs so don't deserve to be on the money.

<uhhh...yeh, I AM running for my life just as soon as I get this flame suit zipped up ....beside, none of yer wives are THAT good a shot to hit me all the way up here in kaNUTa >
deceler8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they earned the $20, I'm all for it.

------------------

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, NONE OF THE ABOVE is not an option.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't really like for them to permanently change bills... but it's not like things haven't changed before over the decades.

I wouldn't mind seeing Sojourner Truth or Harriett Tubman.

I might get a lot of flack for this... nothing against Rosa Parks, but all she did was refuse to get up off a seat in a city bus. They use her defiance as a symbolism... but Truth and Tubman did significantly more.

Margaret Sanger? I'm shocked she's even in that list... regardless of how you feel about abortion, she is basically the "mother" of Eugenics that basically forcibly tube-tied black women and prostitutes. Her goal was to eradicate blacks.
otakudude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as I'm concerned, the people honored on American paper currency should only be our Founding Fathers and presidents long since passed away.

In regards to coinage, I think a woman would be perfectly fine being honored this way but again, they would have to be long since dead and have their lifetime of works stand the test of time to have this honor. Otherwise we stand the risk of having someone on our currency who's 'politically correct' with the current administration or simply popular with the masses.

Can anyone here really imagine Margaret Sanger or Barbra Streisand (after she passes) on any of our currency?

[This message has been edited by otakudude (edited 03-19-2015).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not really sure but I don't think a 20 is appropriate.
Prices have surely gone up in the last twenty years.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to avoid the political escalator, so here's something completely different:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Bourke-White

Edit - but to answer the question - NO

I actually like Andrew Jackson.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 03-19-2015).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didnt read all of the OP post but no
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as it's not the 10 spot, I don't really care. Even though Hamilton was not a President of the United States, it's just so convenient when people ask me how to spell my last name to say "Just like the ten dollar bill".

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 03-19-2015).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

I'm trying to avoid the political escalator, so here's something completely different:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Bourke-White

Edit - but to answer the question - NO

I actually like Andrew Jackson.

He did clear many native Americans out of the southeast, making their lands available to immigrants (white settlers). He also defied the Supreme Court. This all sounds too familiar.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 03-19-2015).]

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rotate. It's still $20.
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Any woman who was a president of the US can go on a new denomination. Leave the $20 bill alone.

Harriet Tubman is the best of that list.

Watch. The obamanation will be on some currency first.

That'll mean that he's dead, right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about Betsy Ross?
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I wouldn't mind seeing Sojourner Truth ...

Loved her in "ALIEN"

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 03-20-2015).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

... Susan B. Anthony (1820 - 1906) ....

She already had her own dollar, what more does she want ....

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 03-20-2015).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't see why not. Maybe not replace, but put on another bill.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Susan B Anthony was already on a coin. Does that rule her out? I guess not...

Out of that list, I'd pick Roosevelt or Tubman. But honestly, I don't really care whose likeness is on the paper currency. It could be Captain Kangaroo, for all I care.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, let's put Margret Sanger on the bill -

PFF
System Bot
hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hammerSend a Private Message to hammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Afaic none of the listed candidates accomplishments are as valuable to our country as what President Jackson accomplished when he freed the US from the central banks for several decades....not to even mention his other polital/military service. Some of the women listed are certainly deserving of recognition but not to the extent of removing President Jackson.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't like changing the currency just for some equal rights appeasement. Why should Andrew Jackson be removed from the $20?
There are many people worthy of recognition that aren't recognized on currency simply because there are only so many types in circulation. Why not follow the Presidential Gold Dollar series with a Women in History series and recognize many important women rather than just one?

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

None of the above.....if they had time to get their picture taken, they evidently weren't in the kitchen doing their jobs so don't deserve to be on the money.

<uhhh...yeh, I AM running for my life just as soon as I get this flame suit zipped up ....beside, none of yer wives are THAT good a shot to hit me all the way up here in kaNUTa >

Mine Is, run dude, run for your life as fast and far as you can !

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by otakudude:

As far as I'm concerned, the people honored on American paper currency should only be our Founding Fathers and presidents long since passed away.

In regards to coinage, I think a woman would be perfectly fine being honored this way but again, they would have to be long since dead and have their lifetime of works stand the test of time to have this honor. Otherwise we stand the risk of having someone on our currency who's 'politically correct' with the current administration or simply popular with the masses.

I have to agree with this. I would add, the thing about replacing someone currently on a bill, is it sort of seems to mean we dont care what that person did anymore.
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hillary! She's already got the next election in her pocket and she will be dead soon after if Bill has his way.
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

How about Betsy Ross?

DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!!! That is of course if we change the bill. I don't think we should but Betsy Ross would be a good pick.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Imnuts:

Hillary! She's already got the next election in her pocket and she will be dead soon after if Bill has his way.

Hillary has already been on a Bill. Under one too.

Jim

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they want a woman on a bill, make a new denomination just for them. Simple. WTF guys

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, I'm afraid the feminists will then accuse us of sitting on their face.
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Hillary has already been on a Bill. Under one too.

Jim

So has Juanita Broaddrick, Gennifer Flowers, Monica Lewinsky, Kathleen Willey, Paula Jones, extra extra.
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What we need is a new 25 dollar bill to be consistent with our coinage.

The Kennedy $25 Bill: A Good Idea Whose Time Has Come

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 03-24-2015).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a picture of what the redesigned "women's" $20 would look like...

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that list never ****ing ends
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Here's a picture of what the redesigned "women's" $20 would look like...

Some reason that image makes me feel queasy.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good idea ... but why does it always have to be a political figure? I nominate:

Rdml. Grace Hopper (1906-1992) "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission." ... "Here, have some nanoseconds."

or
(less seriously) Betty Crocker "Have some biscuits."

or
(even less seriously) maybe Aunt Jemima "Have some pancakes."

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 03-24-2015).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, there's Shania Twain, and I don't even care if she's Canadian!

And how about...

... Dagwood Bumstead's wife, Blondie.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 03-24-2015).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or,

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 03-24-2015).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The S.B Anthony dollar coin was a flop. The size of a quarter and not a favorite denomination coin. I'd get them for a quarter in change. Michelle Obama for a $3 bill would be a good idea. A phony bill for another phony woman.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hell, I'm from Michigan what's a $20 bill??
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock