Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  What's the oldest thing you own? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What's the oldest thing you own? by williegoat
Started on: 04-18-2015 11:19 AM
Replies: 51 (739 views)
Last post by: proff on 04-23-2015 05:39 AM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This question was on another forum and I thought it was interesting.
For me, it is a silver dollar given to me by my grandfather, over 50 years ago.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At the moment, an original KISS comic book from 1977.

dan
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The oldest I can think of is a Bayonet from a French rifle back in 1800's. I don't currently have a picture of it but it was designed so it could be taken off and used as a stand alone weapon with a small hand guard and handle. Looks like a long slender short sword but is only sharp at the tip. It's very similar to this pic I found on line.

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1791 Portuguese coin.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
She just turned 57 her last birthday. Thought about trading her in on a new model but, I'm afraid that I'd end up dead.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It just occurred to me that I have a 2500 year old Persian coin hanging on the wall.

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool items! That Morgan in the OP is beautiful. Probably my favorite US silver dollar design.

My oldest is probably a well worn coin from the French Revolution, 1790s.

If you don't count coins, nothing I have is very old.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have underwear that are around 20 years old... Does that count?

Brad

[This message has been edited by Fats (edited 04-18-2015).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think WillieGoat wins! Hahah... I definitely can't beat that.

I have a couple of cool things that I've gotten from family over the years.

The oldest thing is probably a ~1780 US half-penny... might be ~30 years off, give or take. Beyond that, I've got some very old books from the 40s and 50s, usually about communism and populism (due to my grandfather's work back in the day). I've also got my grandfather's WW2 bayonet. But he was in the NAVY, so not really sure why he has an Army bayonet, maybe got it from someone.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My father brought it back from Europe after WW2. .32 semi auto.
Rough as a cobb, but pretty cool, nonetheless.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a baby grand piano in my living room that's been dated to pre-1900.
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

I have a baby grand piano in my living room that's been dated to pre-1900.

That's pretty cool! Any pictures?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some US Calvary harness chain that's been dated to the late 1800s and a hand operated corn mill that's about as old. Several pieces of horse drawn farm machinery from early 1900s.
Quite a few coins from different places--a gold Mexican 8 Escuado coin (replaced later by Peso) .
A roman 'year 2' (133/134 AD) Bar Kochba Bronze. Very worn (more so than the image below) but has been verified as authentic--worth about $200 USD last time I checked.
Looks a little worse than this one:

Oldest item tho, is a little coin--An old Asian King Gondophares1 era tetradrachm (actual denomination unknown) that dates from the Partian Empire--estimated date is 20 BC. Surprisingly (to me anyway) it is only worth about $40 USD. Looks similar to this one:

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend gave me a set of mule hames that had belonged to his grandfather in the late 1800's. I have a lot of early to mid 1900's "stuff" that I use in my history class for the kids to have something to touch- Old department store 'interphones' from the 1920's, WWI and WWII military artifacts, German military 'field telephones', air-raid 'black out' lamps from England, etc... One of my favorites is a Telechron wall clock from the early 1940's. When a friend was cleaning out his parents' home, he found it and remembered that it had hung in his father's machine shop from about 1942 until the late 1970's. Most of my stuff has no real monetary value, but worth a lot to me because of the history that comes with it.

[This message has been edited by Cooter (edited 04-18-2015).]

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a meteorite that my dad found in the field when farming. Could be billions of years old.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a ball and cap 22 cal pistol single shot from about 1840
it was my great grandfathers cowboy gun in about 1870

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a crab fossil when I was walking on the beach of Ship Island, off the coast of Mississippi. Denver Museum of Nature & Science dated it to be about 50 million years old.

Kinda looks like

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Megaladon tooth
A little silver coin from around 600 AD
A small wooden box from 1850.

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Montgomery Ward Microwave oven and it still works.
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my soul
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id have to say some of my tools. I also have a maroon corduroy blazer still in the closet. and I think they may be back in fashion again now.
PFF
System Bot
johnt671

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a school book from the mid 1800's and an 1884 Springfield infantry rifle with bayonet.

[This message has been edited by johnt671 (edited 04-19-2015).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some very interesting item above.

A pair of Japanese swords brought back from WWII, Luzon Island, Philippines.
A double barrel ball and cap pistol from Turkey. Age unknown.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 04-20-2015).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Prehistoric sharks teeth......
But they are not as old as my pet rock.......
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oldest thing I think I have is a first edition of Call of the Wild

I have some assorted coins from different place but I don't think any are old or of any value.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a chair that supposedly came from the estate of Massachusetts Governor Winthrop back in the 1600s. He was supposedly some sort of distant relative on my mom's side.

On a side note, Governor Winthrop's other claim to fame was that he brought the first fork to the Colonies, back in the early 1600s, perhaps laying the groundwork for America's obesity epidemic. Maybe they ate with their fingers before that?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 1860s? not sure exact age but it was originally a flint lock and sometime during the civil war it was turned into a cap lock muzzle loader rifle.

Melanie has a bunch of first edition books that date back somewhere around that time as well but I bet if you ask her that question she will say the oldest thing she owns is Me, she has always said I am older than dirt.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-19-2015).]

Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My house. 1888.

Not too much else. The house came with an upright piano, ca. 1920s, and I have my grandparents' bedroom set, also estimated 1920s (My mother remembers them from when she was young).
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, if we are going to count rocks and such, I have several geodes that I imagine are pretty old.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just remembered, I've got a 20 gauge shotgun, says Black Prince on it. Was given to me by one of my Dad's best friends who was about twenty years older than him. He told me it was his dad's gun, his earliest memory was of it hanging on wooden pegs above the door of their log cabin in Missouri. His dad made and sold shine so, I'm sure it was some what useful. Anyway, it's about a hundred and ten or twenty years old. Not sure if it's worth it's weight in scrap but, it's got sentimental value to me. Looks like it could be fired but, I honestly don't have the balls to try. I value what few years I've got left.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IDK, when was your mom born?
PFF
System Bot
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a small chest of drawers my great-great-great grandmother brought with her when she settled in Minnesota in the 1850s. My sister now has one of the other pieces of furniture she brought out with her..... A china buffet/hutch with silver castings and wood carvings that bear Paul Revere's markings on it.
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably a Kelvinator refrigerator from 1942. It is still used at our "up north" cabin.

We also have a 1940's Norge in our basement used as an overflow fridge.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a trilobite fossil I found on the shore of Lake Champlain, in Vermont, close to the Canadian border. They disappeared over 250 million years ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilobite
The next oldest things I have are some Onyx arrow heads I found in Mexico while camping.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 04-19-2015).]

Mytime

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An old roman coin. An 18kt gold pocket watch. There is an inscription inside in German, don't know what it says, and the date 1879. Still runs and keeps good time.
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1797 Large cent
iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1968 Buick
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably my Dalton lathe. Circa 1920.

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985FieroGT:

1797 Large cent

I have one from 1844, about the size of a quarter and pure copper.
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My man cave has a Brunswick Pool Table from 1912 and my main audio system has a pair of EICO HF-35 tube amplifiers from 1958 or 1959.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock