Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  We're getting our first Sonic Drive In today.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
We're getting our first Sonic Drive In today. by Thunderstruck GT
Started on: 11-05-2015 10:03 AM
Replies: 35 (456 views)
Last post by: BlackEmrald on 11-09-2015 03:53 PM
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love those places but I only got to eat at them when I was out of the state.

I'm gonna live there!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife loves there tater tots

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think we have 1 in the twin cities. Not bad. Its cool they keep the drive-in idea alive like A&W does.
We dont have Whataburger, In N Out, or Jack n the box...either.

We did get Five Guys and Smashburger.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-05-2015).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All of ours shut down because the company that owned them "forgot" to pay the taxes. One is now a vape shop and the rest are empty buildings.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We had one, one town over on the way to work when we were in TN. Love their jalapeno cheese burgers.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sonic is here--Dairy Queen is right beside it.
Sonic has better deal$ on drink$ ice cream, and other frozen concoction$ but DQ has better tasting burgers, steak, platters and hot dogs.
Sonic's chilidogs/coneys are so salty that Jane & I can't stand to eat them, but we go there often for after dinner ice cream, and sit out at the tables in the open air area and watch all the kids making the Sonic Circle in their cars and trucks..

Used to be a Tasty Freeze right beside where DQ is now, but it burned down years ago.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-05-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

.. but DQ has better tasting burgers, steak, platters and hot dogs.

I dont think we can get steak at DQ up here, must be regional since alot is raised there?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chicken Fried Steak finger basket with gravy. I've never seen a DQ that didn't have it on the menu and I have lived in a lot of different places, tho it wouldn't surprise me to see it has been 'politically corrected' (dropped/replaced) in some areas in favor of chicken fried chicken "pieces".

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chicken Fried Steak finger basket with gravy. I've never seen a DQ that didn't have it on the menu and I have lived in a lot of different places, tho it wouldn't surprise me to see it has been 'politically corrected' (dropped/replaced) in some areas in favor of chicken fried chicken "pieces".

Usually chicken fingers up here. Called tenders to make them sound better.
Dont see gravy much as a side either. Except at KFC with "mashed potatos".

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-05-2015).]

johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one near us has a car cruise night twice a month during the summer. We always have a good turnout, and they offer a discount and a free drink to cruisers. The waitresses roller skate through the parking lot to give the drinks away. Always a good time.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnt671:

The one near us has a car cruise night twice a month during the summer. We always have a good turnout, and they offer a discount and a free drink to cruisers. The waitresses roller skate through the parking lot to give the drinks away. Always a good time.

Thats always cool.
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnt671:

Our area is real big on cruise nights. I'm hoping for some good ones next season.

Which has me wondering.... How are the car hops going to roller skate in the winter?
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 210
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chicken Fried Steak finger basket with gravy. I've never seen a DQ that didn't have it on the menu and I have lived in a lot of different places,

I don't *ever* recall seeing that on the menu of any of our Florida DQs. Need to take a closer look next time.
On the other hand, "Chicken Fried Gator Tail" wouldn't surprise anyone around here.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

On the other hand, "Chicken Fried Gator Tail" wouldn't surprise anyone around here.

Taste like turtle?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or mullet basket if on the NW Fla coast.

You may have to ask for the original steak finger basket to avoid getting pressed and fried chicken parts.
Click to show
Both chicken pressed parts basket and steak are listed on the DQ nutrition page--not that anyone going to DQ is worried one bit about food facts..
http://dqtexas.com/Nutrition/nutfacts.htm

Unfortunately, I see they have dropped their Jalapeno Death Burger, a past favorite of mine.

I don't remember ever eating a burger at Sonic tho. Might have to try it since the coneys have so much salt nowadays.

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Taste like turtle?

Hijack

The gator I've had reminded me of turtle. There's a place in Prairie du Chein, WI that sells gator meat (among a LOT of other interesting things), definitely worth checking out.

http://www.valleyfishmarketpdc.com/

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

Hijack

The gator I've had reminded me of turtle. There's a place in Prairie du Chein, WI that sells gator meat (among a LOT of other interesting things), definitely worth checking out.

http://www.valleyfishmarketpdc.com/

They have it at state and some county fairs here too.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn!

1 to 1-1/2 hour line just to get to the place.
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Damn!

Kinda reminds me of this...

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LMAO!

How true

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Damn!

Wait a week.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it is run right, and in the right location with an easy access, and not too much local mom&pop ice cream drive thru parlors, it will always be busy.
And that's the down side--people always like it when their favorite franchise finally gets to their own town, but it is also always a given that some local business is going to suffer and lose customers to the big $$ franchise.

I noticed just last week, that a building that has been under mysterious re-consruction now has a sign out front. "Shipleys Donuts opening soon". Almost accross the street is "Your AM Donuts", a little local one shop place that has been here for many years and is only open each morning from 5:30 until 11:30am. Shipleys will probably run them right out of business....intentional or not, the damage will be done.

(Shipley Do-Nuts
Shipley Do-Nuts is an American doughnut chain with more than 250 franchised stores located in the states of Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama. It has its headquarters in Northside, Houston, TX.)
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny you all seem to like Sonic. I think their food is way too expensive for the quality. I have never seen one busy, ever.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

Funny you all seem to like Sonic. I think their food is way too expensive for the quality. I have never seen one busy, ever.

I don't think any of us actually said we like Sonic for the way the food tastes or for the fiscal value of the food.
Sonic is popular mostly for the whole dining experience and not because of economics or haute cuisine.
It is not "bad" food, but not terribly great food either but the cars, the servers, the relaxed atmosphere, and the nostalgic feel of the place makes it a nice refrain from eating 'in' (not to mention) they have ice cream.
If you want snails and fruiting fungus, you'll just have to pass up Sonic.

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once there was a drive-up restaurant like Sonic in Las Vegas that had evap cooler hoses that would attach to your car in the summer.
A clever gimmick at the time but it didn't last.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Once there was a drive-up restaurant like Sonic in Las Vegas that had evap cooler hoses that would attach to your car in the summer.
A clever gimmick at the time but it didn't last.

Back when Moby Dick was a minnow and Capt Ahab was a Seaman Deuce?

I think this was a Prince's Hamburgers place in Houston.

I remember seeing these kind of carhops (at some locations)

Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

All of ours shut down because the company that owned them "forgot" to pay the taxes. One is now a vape shop and the rest are empty buildings.

Is that what happened? All I heard was the company decided to shut down operations in the Midwest. Of the three that I know of, one is a bank, one is empty, and the other is a Dog n Suds.

I wasn't a fan of Sonic other than the tater tots, BLTs, and slushies. Dog N Suds I think is better, and the same dining experience.

[This message has been edited by Tuna Helper (edited 11-05-2015).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2015 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The odd thing was, we've had Sonic TV commercials for about 3 or 4 years and not 1 Sonic Drive In to go to.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2015 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't think any of us actually said we like Sonic for the way the food tastes or for the fiscal value of the food.
Sonic is popular mostly for the whole dining experience and not because of economics or haute cuisine.
It is not "bad" food, but not terribly great food either but the cars, the servers, the relaxed atmosphere, and the nostalgic feel of the place makes it a nice refrain from eating 'in' (not to mention) they have ice cream.
If you want snails and fruiting fungus, you'll just have to pass up Sonic.

Probably a contributing factor in both our heart attacks !

I would never call any fast food shops food good, just predictable. No matter where you are that Big Mac, Whopper, Cheddar Cheese Jalapeno Burger is always going to taste the same. it's kind of a fast food comfort food, like your moms cooking always tasted the same. In my case that was not that good, she burned everything. But it was what I was used to and had eaten all my life so when a Mac Donald's showed up in town I was thrilled. Something I could eat without chipping a tooth on.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 11-06-2015).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2015 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't understand why people like Sonic. We have over 200 here. I get the half price drinks and they do offer a ton of deals regularly, but the food is just not good.

Jenny car hopped there for a bit, it wasn't something she hated, but obviously was not something she wanted to do as work. Especially during winter.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:Funny you all seem to like Sonic. I think their food is way too expensive for the quality. I have never seen one busy, ever.

I did some traveling and generally the food was below Dennys'. I missed my Thai food and Mexican food, even the BBQ was eh. One trip, in Georgia, I tried 3 different BBQ places and the best was fair, I like Famous Dave's Bar-B-Que and there several smaller places like Jon-Jon's BBQ in San Jose that so a good meal. In Charlotte for 2 days, I could not get a good meal.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

I did some traveling and generally the food was below Dennys'. I missed my Thai food and Mexican food, even the BBQ was eh. One trip, in Georgia, I tried 3 different BBQ places and the best was fair, I like Famous Dave's Bar-B-Que and there several smaller places like Jon-Jon's BBQ in San Jose that so a good meal. In Charlotte for 2 days, I could not get a good meal.

The biggest part of a 'good meal' is simply getting something similar to what you are accustomed to--not so much in quality, but similar in taste. I've eaten meals at some very high end restaurants, that everyone raved about how good they were, but I thought tasted like **** , simply because it was not prepared/seasoned/cooked like I was used to eating.

When I first came back to East Texas, I was appalled at what the locals called 'Mexican food'--same held true when I lived much further North. I was used to living much closer to the border and much closer to New Mexico and eating what is generally considered 'authentic' Mexican food, not Tex-Mex/gringo/Mex or SW "style' food. The locals ate it up and thought it was the greatest thing since Santa Anna but I thought it tasted terrible, and looked like a brown cow pile on a platter. Sad to say, but it wasn't even as good as Taco Bell, which is NOT Mexican food either.

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 210
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...... it wasn't even as good as Taco Bell, which is NOT Mexican food either.

We stay VERY far away from Taco Hell for one basic reason:

Any so-called "fast food" that costs less than pet-food on a price per weight basis has to be viewed with great suspicion.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, I thought I was the only one that call it "Taco Hell".
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have "southerners" from all parts of the Americas and have yet to have a WTF moment. Well, except for a amazing tasting burrito that had a bunch of random vegetables in it including carrots that I am allergic to. Who puts carrots in a burrito? Now, you guys got me thinking.
OMG Brazilian BBQ, https://www.rodiziogrill.com/, Nebraska- Lincoln: 402-480-7475 was crazy, go when hungry. (they have other locations)

Ya, know what, Sonic does fill the bill when you do not have time to burn.
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I noticed just last week, that a building that has been under mysterious re-consruction now has a sign out front. "Shipleys Donuts opening soon". Almost accross the street is "Your AM Donuts", a little local one shop place that has been here for many years and is only open each morning from 5:30 until 11:30am. Shipleys will probably run them right out of business....intentional or not, the damage will be done.

(Shipley Do-Nuts
Shipley Do-Nuts is an American doughnut chain with more than 250 franchised stores located in the states of Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama. It has its headquarters in Northside, Houston, TX.)

And rightfully so, Shipleys makes the best donuts I have ever eaten. Miles ahead of Dunks, Krispy, Hortons and others.

It's funny you brought up DQ, my understanding is that Texas DQ locations are almost an entirely different entity when compared to DQ's in other states. Which is why they have their own menu items such as steak fingers and tacos, as well as Texas branded cups and bags. In my personal taste, outside of the Blizzard, I'd rather have Sonic's desserts. Honestly, not a huge fan of either restaurants food. I'd rather got to Jack in the Box or Whataburger any day.

Another great place to get burgers and ice cream is Culver's. Which actually makes fresh churned ice cream and burger patties from scratch. It is a little pricey though.

[This message has been edited by BlackEmrald (edited 11-09-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock