Started on: 03-08-2016 11:23 AM
Replies: 32 (485 views)
Last post by: jmbishop on 03-11-2016 10:53 AM
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been reading all over the forum and noticed that even some of the so called people who are teachers and well educated are making a lot of mistakes when they write things. Leaving entire words out of a sentence, spelling words wrong even I can spell.

Anyone else notice that?

or is it just me?

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks now you got my nose itching again.

It's because we know it makes you feel better that we all make mistakes...?

Because all those years of listening to Rock and Roll took its toll, and we are just now beginning to feel its effects...

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't be talking about me. I normally make mistakes!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

It's because we know it makes you feel better that we all make mistakes...?

Because all those years of listening to Rock and Roll took its toll, and we are just now beginning to feel its effects...

Hey one of your resent posts was missing an entire word, not a big word that someone like me might spell wrong but a word none the less that I am sure was not caused by STML as in my case most times. Nothing against those who make them, hell I make them all the time, but people like you and some of our forum spelling police are even making them on a regular basis. people who would say I spelled this wrong when they couldn't find something else to degrade my post.

Not you but many people who normally make absolutely correct posts.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can think of times where I was corrected and it was helpful. It helps if the correction is compassionate but I've benefited even if it was kind of an attack.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL!

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Hey one of your resent posts was missing an entire word, not a big word that someone like me might spell wrong but a word none the less that I am sure was not caused by STML as in my case most times. Nothing against those who make them, hell I make them all the time, but people like you and some of our forum spelling police are even making them on a regular basis. people who would say I spelled this wrong when they couldn't find something else to degrade my post.

Not you but many people who normally make absolutely correct posts.

Would it bother you in some slightly subtle uncomfortable way if you came to know that the word omission was deliberate?

If you go back through my posts, you'll find hundreds of seemingly innocent "goofs" such as that last one. There's a pattern. Even I am unsure if it's possible to piece them together and find out where the is buried...

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Would it bother you in some slightly subtle uncomfortable way if you came to know that the word omission was deliberate?

If you go back through my posts, you'll find hundreds of seemingly innocent "goofs" such as that last one. There's a pattern. Even I am unsure if it's possible to piece them together and find out where the is buried...

No it wouldn't bother me, actually it kind of intrigues me, why?
I have typed things and parts of words were left out in my own posts. and noticing after I post, because I rarely proof read I see them. and it's not because I didn't hit the key hard enough, or is it just me?

As for the people who correct my mistakes go that doesn't bother me anymore, much unless it is down right nasty and only to deflect from what I said when they can't figure anything else to do to discredit what I say. I type with 4 fingers so I try to catch my mistakes but sometimes they are not my mistakes, I don't think, I don't know

WTF were we talking about?

Steve

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think TDA has an offbeat, but generally brilliant sense of humor.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Been reading all over the forum and noticed that even some of the so called people who are teachers and well educated are making a lot of mistakes when they write things. Leaving entire words out of a sentence, spelling words wrong even I can spell.

Anyone else notice that?

Yah! Their are speling misteaks all over the place.
From asking how too fix the parkin break, repare a damaged bumber, or titten a lose part.

Luckily I can still figure out what they mean.

What bothers me more is constant run on sentences where the person uses no punctuation you know what i mean because it makes it very hard to read i can only assume its because they may be sending the message from a smartphone and its a nuisance to include those while typing their message im sure you will agree

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
From asking how too fix the parkin break, repare a damaged bumber, or titten a lose part.

What bothers me more is constant run on sentences where the person uses no punctuation you know what i mean because it makes it very hard to read i can only assume its because they may be sending the message from a smartphone and its a nuisance to include those while typing their message im sure you will agree

Don't have a clue, don't own a smart phone, simple flip track phone that is used more as a walkie talkie between the wife and I or in emergency's or like when I am on my way to a parts store to make sure they have the part I am going after.. it does have internet capability but the only time I have ever used that was just to see if it works.

Amanda got given a smart phone by her grandmother and neither Melanie or I could ever figure out how to use the dam thing, besides it is so big it doesn't fit in my pockets well. It is till sitting on the desk and never been used except to play games on.

Steve
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Yeah, because it's just SOO hard to use the 'fn' key to include the correct punctuation on some phones.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Yeah, because it's just SOO hard to use the 'fn' key to include the correct punctuation on some phones.

WTF is that, see I haven't got a clue about smart phone and to be honest don't want to learn, my phone works just fine and I really don't want to learn, my phone works just fine for what I need it for. Hell sometimes the battery dies from lack of use long before I ever use it. I don't call just to say hi I have a reason and use it for that, like I said, like you Don, it's just for emergency's mostly. Hell I don't text and when someone texts me I generally just call them back if I need to say something to them.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 03-08-2016).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WTF is that, see I haven't got a clue about smart phone and to be honest don't want to learn, my phone works just fine and I really don't want to learn, my phone works just fine for what I need it for. Hell sometimes the battery dies from lack of use long before I ever use it. I don't call just to say hi I have a reason and use it for that, like I said, like you Don, it's just for emergency's mostly. Hell I don't text and when someone texts me I generally just call them back if I need to say something to them.

I do sometimes text, mostly to answer a text one of my kids or grand kids sent me. Different phones handle punctuation in different ways. Some have a row of punctuation keys across the top, some phones like slide out qwerty keyboards on dumb phones, you have to press the fn or alt key to activate the punctuation marks--the shift key won't do it on my Cosmos phone. It's similar to a flip phone except it has both a numerical keypad and a slide out qwerty keyboard. You can text from either one. Cheap phone--about $50 if I remember right.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2016 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Be thankful its your nose and not your at work.
Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Texting has taken over and it's made us lazy. I usually glance right by spelling errors, but the ones that bug me are things that are deliberately spelled wrong.

Prolly is a big one. Ur. r u going? I don't even like trying to read through that in a text, much less in a full-text forum. I text all day long and I don't do that. Lack of capitalization is another one. Just lazy. And those who say "It doesn't matter, what's the big deal?" don't really understand that written communication conveys an image of yourself along with the message. If somebody sends me a job application with those errors - straight in the trash. I don't want those people representing my company or dealing with my customers. It's not an accent or a patois, it's willful ignorance.

Then there are things I will never understand, like lose/loose, and For Sell. I will never point it out just to be an ass, but misuse of apostrophes drives me nuts.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 210
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really dont care as long as people understand me Steve. Im lazy at typing myself...I just dont do the gibberish people text. When you ask a question, do you really need a question mark for those reading it?. Students are learning from teachers so its expected. Sorry to say it, but I think most teachers now just think of it as an 8-4 job to get paid for and have benefits, plus a 3 month vacation. They give out good grades to get rid of that years class. Everyone knows each graduating class is getting worse and worse. Its unusual to find anyone out of high school who knows how to spell or do any form of math. We already know that they know nothing about history older than 10 years ago.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-09-2016).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not a great speller. I have a problem with homonyms. I know which word is appropriate, but sometimes my fingers like to play little practical jokes on my brain. Sometimes I catch it and sometimes I don't.
I also know I have a problem with use of commas.

As long as I can understand what someone means to say, I am OK; but I know that I am misunderstood far too often. I always try to give someone the benefit of the doubt, and hope that others will afford me the same courtesy, but of course some are just bent on latching on to any imprecision in order to convince others that you meant something entirely different. That, however is not my problem.

I don't use smilies (emoticons?) during an attempt at humor because, just like the laugh track on an old sitcom, if you have to be told, it just wasn't that funny. I'm the same in real life, I have a very deadpan delivery.

I hate all the abbreviations that are common on the web, because I still don't know what most of them mean.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was gonna post something, but made a mistake and erased it....

But I doubt I'm the guy Steve's talking about.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As devices get smarter people get dumber.
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2016 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

I was gonna post something, but made a mistake and erased it....

But I doubt I'm the guy Steve's talking about.

Iz dont tink its aneebodee on hear speficaly just da wurld in GeNeRaL hee iz talkin bout.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Oh I agree look at how many kids and young adults who don't even know how to write their name or anything that way for that matter. And this was never directed to any one person though I did say Rumors post kicked it off but I have no gripes just making sure it is us who are making the mistakes. Hell I am beginning to think I may need a new keyboard. Because I type till I hit the bottom with the keys with like 3 or 4 fingers. I have zero typing skills I am no secretary or someone who ever had to fill out forms with a typewriter or computer.

If anyone thinks this thread was directed towards them it wasn't, I though maybe the forum was screwing up. But now I see its just us.

Thanks I will pickup a new keyboard tomorrow and see if it improves my posts. well at least my typing anyway

Steve
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been reading all over the forum and noticed that even some of the so called people who are teachers and well educated are making a lot of mistakes when they write things. They're leaving entire words out of a sentence and spelling words wrong that even I can spell.

Anyone else notice that?

Or is it just me?

Steve

I'm sure an actual teacher of English could find more errors. It's just food for thought.

Honestly, on a forum like this I usually ignore things like that as to me we are casually interacting. Kind of like two guys bellied up to the bar. They aren't expecting proper English from the guy next to them.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 03-08-2016).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I though maybe the forum was screwing up. But now I see its just us.

Steve

We are the forum and we are screwing up and thats the way we like it!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

We are the forum and we are screwing up and thats the way we like it!

https://youtu.be/dd--tIkrVoA

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2016 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully people can see through mistakes I make in text, on purpose or on accident.
I don't hold that stuff against anyone or let it keep me from understanding or reading.
Even the thread I made recently that looks crazy, it is only titled "The".

But I did type a full title, the forum somehow didn't recognize it, and I didn't correct it before it was too late.

I consider this casual conversation, I consider proper this and that and everything else to be more for a written announcement, ad, flyer, presentation, work or class.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2016 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anyone else notice that?

or is it just me?

Steve

The thing that I do which I know is wrong, is create huge run-on sentences. I also carry on my conversation like this... and then keep going, even though the sentence should have ended. This is because I type on forums as if I'm thinking it, so the grammar and sentence structure isn't going to be totally correct.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2016 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
The thing that I do which I know is wrong, is create huge run-on sentences. I also carry on my conversation like this... and then keep going, even though the sentence should have ended. This is because I type on forums as if I'm thinking it, so the grammar and sentence structure isn't going to be totally correct.

Ah thats a good explaination, I do that too.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2016 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh I do that all the time myself, just comma after comma after comma. Sometimes it is just hitting the wrong key though.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 03-09-2016).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2016 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Thats the truth.....

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2016 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I also carry on my conversation like this... and then keep going, even though the sentence should have ended. This is because I type on forums as if I'm thinking it, so the grammar and sentence structure isn't going to be totally correct.

Many, if not most people, do the same thing. They type words and sentences as if they are speaking. I am bad about "leavin" the letter 'g' off many of the verbs I type for exactly that reason.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2016 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT &

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock