Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Tesla 3 sedan. If everyone pays up, Tesla grossed $4 billion in 24 hrs (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Tesla 3 sedan. If everyone pays up, Tesla grossed $4 billion in 24 hrs by maryjane
Started on: 04-01-2016 06:44 AM
Replies: 79 (867 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 04-19-2016 01:49 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
133,000 pre-orders the first day. Of course that's really just $1000 each order in deposit, but still a bunch of $$.
Can't say I'm floored by the looks of it--exterior or interior, but am impressed with that many orders, and the description of the roominess in the descriptions.
'plenty of room for the 6'3' driver and a 6' passenger behind him'.
No grille in front and that spartan dashboard would take some getting used to.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-01-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RayOtton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just read an article on Forbes which once again deflates the whole electric car thing.

Turns out when all is said and done, they aren't any better for the environment than gas powered cars.

But that is a good looking body.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Ah, the Spartan dashboard
http://www.thetorquereport....but_00011-44611.html

Is that really the dashboard?

The exterior design reminds me of a Mazda or something.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2016 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, Tesla, took 133k and ordered 133000 of their own cars,, to make a headline...
bet they don't sell 13000 of them.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Stripped down version from what I read. No instrument cluster in front of the driver--everything is off toward the center on the big display, but other versions show ac vents and trim that breaks up the stark empty lines of the 'entry level' version.
I think (not so) Big 3 just sat up and took notice at the big quantity of pre-orders--that's a LOT of cars for a model that hasn't really even gone in to true production yet. Moneywise, it's being reported that this is THE biggest first day sales of any product in any category anywhere.
I still don't see an elec in my future, but I do admire the marketing and innovation this company has used, and that is not a bad price either.

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Stripped down version from what I read. No instrument cluster in front of the driver--everything is off toward the center on the big display, but other versions show ac vents and trim that breaks up the stark empty lines of the 'entry level' version.
I think (not so) Big 3 just sat up and took notice at the big quantity of pre-orders--that's a LOT of cars for a model that hasn't really even gone in to true production yet. Moneywise, it's being reported that this is THE biggest first day sales of any product in any category anywhere.
I still don't see an elec in my future, but I do admire the marketing and innovation this company has used, and that is not a bad price either.

I am guessing not everyone who puts down a deposit will buy one. Then when the tax credits dries up, what then? We are not going to see them in my area for a while, unless someone has a second vehicle. I certainly could use one for around town, but to go to the hospital, I would need a gas powered or hybrid (if I want to get back home). I was hoping this car would have 300 mile range.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
same here. Now if Musk came out with a true elec RTV (not one of those dinky golf cart types) that I could take to the east 40 and do some fence work from, at a reasonable price, I'd be all over it.
Heck, the price of gas and diesel powered RTVs like the Kubota 1100 are pushing what a new fleet truck costs.
MSRP $18,500:
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, the prices of those are crazy. Might as will buy an old truck. I see a lot of the "trail" machines in my neck of the woods... $20K on up for a toy. geez.

same here. Now if Musk came out with a true elec RTV (not one of those dinky golf cart types) that I could take to the east 40 and do some fence work from, at a reasonable price, I'd be all over it.
Heck, the price of gas and diesel powered RTVs like the Kubota 1100 are pushing what a new fleet truck costs.
MSRP $18,500:

Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My theory is that Harley Davidson should get in on this business of UTV's, electric and gas. They developed a good electric drive system the other year for motorcycles so that would be a good start for a UTV power train drive system. UTV sales could actually drive incremental sales units at HD which is why they need in their stagnating domestic market.

For the model 3 the front end with no grill just looks incomplete or devoid of style. Somehow they need to dress the front of the car better, in my opinion.

MSRP $18,500:

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well they do have one in the mid size price range now. Its competition for other mid size cars. I would like to at least see a grill decal, just looks like its missing something. As a second car, 200+ miles is decent for most people in the city. In winter I seldom put 200 miles on in a month. Ill bet they wont have trouble selling every one they can make. Im starting to see quite a few 'S' Teslas around Columbus at 3 times that price. From what I see, there popping up in Mercedes and BMW type neigborhoods. No one seems to be having any problem getting them charged. The girl I know with one, has had it for like 4 years and still loves it like she just bought it yesterday. She takes such pride in it, you never see it dirty.

http://www.motortrend.com/n...7EEF6FFB8372A24870C6

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-01-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I worked at a Kubota dealership and never could figure out why those RTV's sold like crazy. If it were me A 4 wheel drive truck would be a better buy. Some of them loaded cost over $23,000.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
boring car for the boring masses!

At least they should be able to afford this one...
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone else see the outgoing Mazda 3 at first glance? Drab styling after their last grand slam.

------------------

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:

Does anyone else see the outgoing Mazda 3 at first glance? Drab styling after their last grand slam.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah honestly it looks like everything else. But thatll help it sell.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43231 posts
Member since May 2007

Yeah, the prices of those are crazy. Might as will buy an old truck. I see a lot of the "trail" machines in my neck of the woods... $20K on up for a toy. geez.

Could buy a 5 year old truck.

Even a 2015 F150 is only 27k.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-01-2016).]

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My son put his deposit down last night.
I guess he will have at least a year and a half to save up for it because you could reserve them in dealerships yesterday.
Actually, not dealerships but "stores"

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 04-01-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Tesla hasn't released the specs for the battery, but it will give the Model 3 a driving
image: http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png
range a driving range of at least 215 miles. It's likely that when the Model 3 arrives, it's driving range will be longer, since the battery technology continues to improve."

I'll be watching for the real life numbers, including in wind with heat and lights on.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

"Tesla hasn't released the specs for the battery, but it will give the Model 3 a driving
image: http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png
range a driving range of at least 215 miles. It's likely that when the Model 3 arrives, it's driving range will be longer, since the battery technology continues to improve."

I'll be watching for the real life numbers, including in wind with heat and lights on.

"Over the month of January I decided to study the impact sub-zero weather conditions had on the battery range of my Tesla Model S and found it to be diminished by roughly 40%. Range will vary depending on one’s driving habits but the effects of winter on a Tesla Model S and its battery range should roughly mirror the data that I was able to collect."
Read more at http://www.teslarati.com/te...#QR1TUGAWFuxZ1jsb.99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Over the month of January I decided to study the impact sub-zero weather conditions had on the battery range of my Tesla Model S and found it to be diminished by roughly 40%. Range will vary depending on one’s driving habits but the effects of winter on a Tesla Model S and its battery range should roughly mirror the data that I was able to collect."

Maybe model 3 will be the same.
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hence why he started the company here in California. If I see a sub-zero day here, I'll know hell truly froze over.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

So, Tesla, took 133k and ordered 133000 of their own cars,, to make a headline...
bet they don't sell 13000 of them.

They sold me one. I don't work for Tesla, I work for Boeing.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I had my own house (so I could install the charging station), I'd seriously consider one. (What I REALLY want is a Model S P90D with Ludicrous Mode, of course.)
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am guessing not everyone who puts down a deposit will buy one. Then when the tax credits dries up, what then? We are not going to see them in my area for a while, unless someone has a second vehicle. I certainly could use one for around town, but to go to the hospital, I would need a gas powered or hybrid (if I want to get back home). I was hoping this car would have 300 mile range.

I believe that a 300 mile range is an option that is being offered.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2016 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first electric cars didn't have a grill either but that never bothered Grandma Duck.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2016 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, but the Baker didnt look like it was supposed to have a grill or opening there... The way Tesla did it on the '3' looks like a body popped out of a mold and someone forgot to cut out the opening. If I had a '3', the first thing Id do is airbrush a grill on it or run a strip of self stick chrome around it and paint the inside black.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2016 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

I believe that a 300 mile range is an option that is being offered.

Additional cost. Anyone realize the $1000 is refundable?? How many will request a refund.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2016 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

If I had my own house (so I could install the charging station), I'd seriously consider one. (What I REALLY want is a Model S P90D with Ludicrous Mode, of course.)

With that in mind I want to know how an electric car gets supercharged or are they talking about something else?

Tesla 3 sedan. If everyone pays up, Tesla grossed $4 billion in 24 hrs

And then declares bankruptcy,

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-03-2016).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2016 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Up to 276,000 reservations on Saturday, according to Elon. That would bring reservation revenue to $276,000,000 (two hundred and seventy six million dollars.

He also posted some new concept art:

With Tesla's, the production car always ends up looking better than the concept. Will likely be additional improvements over the next 1.5 years when production starts. He also added 'RWD standard, AWD optional' so no FWD version, WOOHOO!
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2016 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Photoshopped a grill where it should be.

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2016 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

With that in mind I want to know how an electric car gets supercharged or are they talking about something else?

Tesla 3 sedan. If everyone pays up, Tesla grossed $4 billion in 24 hrs

And then declares bankruptcy,

Steve

supercharge refers to a faster recharging option. As in Super (fast) Charge. Charges in minutes, not hours.
I doubt Elon Musk or Tesla will go bankrupt any time soon, or even in Elon's lfetime.
They are Tesla--not GM.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2016 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

supercharge refers to a faster recharging option. As in Super (fast) Charge. Charges in minutes, not hours.
I doubt Elon Musk or Tesla will go bankrupt any time soon, or even in Elon's lfetime.
They are Tesla--not GM.

Why not, Trump has?
Solyndra has?
Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-04-2016).]

Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2016 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks a lot better! As Roger said even if they apply a decal for a grill that would be fine. Heck even black vinyl in that area would give some contrast.

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Photoshopped a grill where it should be.

[This message has been edited by Hank is Here (edited 04-04-2016).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2016 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hank is Here:

That looks a lot better! As Roger said even if they apply a decal for a grill that would be fine. Heck even black vinyl in that area would give some contrast.

Musk ran out of money for decals. Looks like he grabbed a desktop monitor for a dash display

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2016 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Steve

I'm guessing it means charge it back up real quick? Not sure.

I wonder how many times the owners are going to have to hear: "What is it? A Tesla E?"
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2016 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Hence why he started the company here in California. If I see a sub-zero day here, I'll know hell truly froze over.

Are they only selling them in the warm states? Doesn't seem like it. 40% decrease is a large chunk of available power that is gone. While gas engines are less efficient in cold temps, the decrease is not that drastic and gas stations are everywhere...requiring about 5 minutes or less to get in and out with a fill up. I don't know about you, but waiting 10-20 minutes (if one is lucky) is not something I would like to do on a 3 hour trip. I don't need to stop and eat at a restaurant or shop... I just want to get to my destination.

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2016 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by 2.5:

I'm guessing it means charge it back up real quick? Not sure.

I wonder how many times the owners are going to have to hear: "What is it? A Tesla E?"

Tesla supercharging stations charge with up to 120 kW of power, or up to 16 times as fast as public charging stations; they take about 20 minutes to charge to 50%, 40 minutes to charge to 80%, and 75 minutes to 100%. The charging stations provide high-power direct-current (DC) charging power directly to the battery, bypassing the internal charging power supply.[19]

Some of the Tesla supercharging stations use solar panels to offset energy use and provide shade. In the next few years after 2014, Tesla Motors plans to cover more stations with solar canopies to charge the Tesla vehicle as long as the vehicle is equipped with a supercharging system. The cost for using the supercharger is covered with the purchase of the car with the purchase of 70 kilowatt-hours models or higher.[19]
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2016 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why not, Trump has?
Solyndra has?
Steve

Why should he? He's not Trump or Solyndra.
Would you enjoy Tesla going bankrupt?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2016 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Why should he? He's not Trump or Solyndra.
Would you enjoy Tesla going bankrupt?

No more like expect it, how many of the last hundred years car companies are still around, between the other big ones and the oil companies they don't have a chance. Just how many of the cars they have already sold do they make a year now, because from the looks they have dug their own grave I don't think people are going to want to wait 2 or 3 years for a car, it is a rare vehicle that has that kind of following.

Steve
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock