Started on: 09-28-2019 10:29 PM
Replies: 4 (145 views)
Last post by: theogre on 09-30-2019 02:00 PM
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2019 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my new PC today. I went all out this time as I have been using the same PC for many years thought it was time for an upgrade.

Its an I7
16 gigs of ram
650 watt power supply
1660 GTX Video card
128gig ssd and a 1tb HDD

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
1988 Fiero Formula
2018 Ford Ecosport Ecoboost
2017 Kia Forte S

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners
FieroNews Hoodies and T-Shirts

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2019 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

Got my new PC today. I went all out this time as I have been using the same PC for many years thought it was time for an upgrade.

Its an I7
16 gigs of ram
650 watt power supply
1660 GTX Video card
128gig ssd and a 1tb HDD

Is the goal to keep the OS on the SSD drive and everything else on the 1TB drive? I've got the same kind of set-up, and it's been pretty good over the years, but I do find occasionally, that I wished I had gone with a slightly larger primary hard drive. I think 256gb SSD would have been perfect. Most of the daily-use programs I'd prefer to have loaded on the SSD, and then everything else on the 1TB drive. Other than media, I'll also install 100s of games (which I never end up playing) on the other drive too.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2019 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assume the MoBo is set to AHCI... (Most are by default but some people reset to use "Legacy Mode" Drive interface.)
win10 installer should built the OS on SSD with page file disable and other things correct set for SSD.
win7 may not have all SSD settings.

Other things can help small SSD like Move temp files to HD to extent SSD life time.
try control panel/system/advance system settings/environment variables for windows and most things. user and system have temp/tmp values but often only need to change user temps.

FF etc often have their own temp/cache values you set it them. Find values and move to HD too. Why? Depended what sites you brows, browser(s) alone can make/edit/delete thousands to many millions of files a week.

Empty temp and cache before moving them otherwise you have old data wasting space for nothing. Easiest is run Disk Cleaner (just start type cleaner in search) in Windows to dump system junk. Dump FF etc cache in them.
Copy and past the old values to a txt file before editing.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2019 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya we are using the ssd as the OS drive and installing everything else to the 1tb drive. I really don't install to many things. I think there is room for 2 more drives in it so I am thinking on getting a couple of 1tb ssd drives and put them in there.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2019 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even if you install things to the HD...
Windows and most everything will use C: for Temp/Cache files unless you change above items.

SSD may try to move static data like actual programs that never move on HD (unless you "defrag" them and may not move even then.) for "Wear leveling" but this takes time too like having constant Trim active for SSD tight on free space covered in other SSD threads.

In fact Can try to move your whole profile/user directory but that causes problems if not done right, even still causes problems to some programs when done right. Is why I don't tell people to move that.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock