Started on: 04-12-2020 04:58 PM
Replies: 13 (310 views)
Last post by: ls3mach on 06-14-2022 04:58 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2020 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm currently working from home and may do so for a while. My current office chair has seen better days. Even once I go back to the office, I sit in front of the computer for an hour or two a day when I get home. Here's the rub. I'm just north of 300#. I need a chair with good adjustability but also one that's comfortable and will LAST @ my weight.

I'd prefer mesh but leather or fake leather isn't a deal breaker. I understand mesh probably isn't as long lasting, especially at my weight. Adjustability (tilt, height, tilt lock at various angles, separate backrest angle) is paramount, comfort must be very good, too although I get up every hour or 2 and I have a Purple seat cushion. Looks, etc (color, built in speakers, etc) mean nothing. I don't care if it's black, brown, green or orange. It MUST be able to be delivered. Due to the COVID-19, I'm not willing to visit a store.

I'd like to spend under $300 but might spend a little more depending on the chair.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should buy?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2020 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most chairs are the same, construction wise.
It depends on what options you need.

My current chair cost $60 shipped to my house.
At some point I will probably order the purple cushion.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2020 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would go with something like this from Serta:
https://www.officedepot.com...-Jennings-High-Back/

You can look for "big and tall" office chairs. Some support up to 500lbs. They are cheaper on Ebay but those are all no-name brand chairs.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2020 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Herman Miller Aeron, LOVE mine, bought it used on eBay and replaced a couple parts, upgraded to leather adjustable arm rests. You can find them starting around $300. Look for Size C (the larger ones, capable of 350 lbs). I've spent 15 hours a day in it on 80 hour work weeks.

https://store.hermanmiller....5348.html?lang=en_US

ArbinShire

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2020 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArbinShireSend a Private Message to ArbinShireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Echo the Herman Miller recommendation. I have an Aeron that I use at work. It's the most comfortable chair ever and it fully supports my back quite well.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2020 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No matter what brand... sorry but 300+ # is over design weight limit for nearly all seating and will fail sooner.
Isn't just cheap seats either. Some Big Brands like HM mention above have "Heavy Duty" seats but you often pay a lot more for them.
Can forget about most or all seats from OD/OM, Staples, etc.

Depending on brand and even model most are made to handle 200-250# safely.
Even if they don't break outright, example rolling bases can tip easy for a seat being top heavy. Worse on carpet where you push more to move.

Is a large problem for many businesses just buying office chairs let alone legal when workers sue.
Because many seat catalogs don't have "weight limits" in the "books." May not even be on label attach to bottom of seats. Many Labels only cover actual manufacturer and material made of to meet Fed Rules for all furniture.
Is why Many business use HM, Steelcase, etc. as "Standards" so don't have to dig to find or worry about legal everyday.

Over the years I get many chairs free or very cheap because parts get loose etc and no-one bothers to fix for various reasons.
My current seat of no name brand has a "Air ram" that was push down way into the base by previous heavy user. No doubt the ram drags or base breaks sooner or later or I'll maybe see if another chair base w/ crap top can be used.

I had HM mesh and others years back so don't remember models. All Was ok to sit on but parts still wear out after 1-3 years even for small people. Unlike many you can get many HM parts. Even mix many parts of "dead" units, often even from different models, to make good seats.

Notes:
  • Many seats are shipped "Flat" and you or store assemble them... You must make all bolts tight but don't over torque them. And keep tools so if any get loose can tighten again. Left loose for long will wreck the threads etc and the chair is F'd unless can get new parts.
  • Many "Leather" etc seats has Hidden bolts inside the back and bottom... Often they get loose too. Often can re-torque them going thru holes for arms w/o obvious damage after.
  • Most Plastic Mats for floor protection w/ office chairs are:
    Not Static Resistance and worse make more static problems that can cause problems w/ computers etc besides shocking you.
    Flat/smooth bottom type is most made for hard surface floors and wear out fast on any carpet.
    Ones "made for carpet" is only for Commercial carpet like Carpet Squares many businesses use. Is not for "home" carpet w/ padding under it and wears out fast.

------------------
    Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
    (Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-14-2020).]

• IP: Logged
    David1207

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2020 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David1207Send a Private Message to David1207Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I believe an office chair should always support your entire body and provide immense comfort during long working hours. With this thought, last month I bought a Herman Miller embody chair after checking so many online reviews and luckily I found it here and gathered so much of information about this chair. I got free shipping from amazon for it.
    MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
    User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2020 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    LOL. I've got a $5 thrift store special (high-back blue fabric) that had torn armrests when I got it, so I just made 2 new ones out of hunks of 2x3. Going strong and comfortable for over a year now.
    Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
    Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2020 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Herman Miller Aeron, LOVE mine, bought it used on eBay and replaced a couple parts, upgraded to leather adjustable arm rests. You can find them starting around $300. Look for Size C (the larger ones, capable of 350 lbs). I've spent 15 hours a day in it on 80 hour work weeks.

https://store.hermanmiller....5348.html?lang=en_US

Another vote for this chair. I had one at my office. Unfortunately, I cannot bring it home. At least not yet.
    And yeah, I think I got the "C" (large) size. I was around 5' 10" and 240 at the time, and was quite comfortable in it.
    A while back, there was a guy in our group who was 400-500 lbs, who used one of those chairs. It never even flinched.
    Unfortunately, all of these that I've seen, new, were about $800. (Perhaps they are available cheaper now, since many offices are "teleworking".)

I know it's likely out of your price range, but you get what you pay for. And they seem to last forever.

Edit - Check Craigslist or FB Marketplace. They're out there. I found several in ATL at or near your price point.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-18-2020).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
    Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2020 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Been using the Herman Miller Aeron chair lately for back-to-back-to-back-to-back 60 hour weeks lately, still great. The problem with the Embody is they're not nearly as common, so you're likely going to pay at or near retail for one, where the Aerons are plentiful used. I'd still love to try the Embody to compare.
    Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
    User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2020 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I got lots of experience in this area.

The best office/leisure computer chair I ever owned I built myself.

Simply find a normal chair (second-hand, even) you like, wingback, half-size recliner, etc.
    Buy a computer chair (second-hand, even) with the roll-around STEEL legs (not plastic).
    Graft the swivel/legs to the new chair.

Did it twice, lasted forever, twice.
    PFF
    System Bot
    latyart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2022 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for latyartSend a Private Message to latyartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I've been working from home for most of the last 5 years I would recommend heading to the local office supply place and sitting in every chair they have. I did that about 10 years ago and ended up with a cloth executive chair that is very comfortable and has been very durable. Edit to say, it was about $400..generally, I can say that office chairs are like mattresses, you get what you pay for and it's hard to put a value on your back and comfort. Tons of padding do not make an office chair good. It needs to relieve pressure points, keep your spine in a neutral position, and be comfortable for HOURS. Usually, I read these kinds of articles for getting updates on new chairs.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
    Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2022 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by latyart:

I read these kinds of articles for getting updates on new chairs.

Do you ever respond to threads that aren't dead?
    ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
    Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2022 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    What did you end up buying or did you?

I know we bought years ago the big and tall chairs from Sam's. I cannot recall price. Neither of us are/were exactly big and tall. We were then on tight budget so these chairs were a real treat to us. They held up for years and surely got our moneys worth, but hardly anything special.

I think I am going to start some remote stuff and I don't want to sit holding a laptop all day.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
    PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
    Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock