Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Jump Start. How the biggest-ever flying animal got airborne. New fossil evidence.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Jump Start. How the biggest-ever flying animal got airborne. New fossil evidence. by rinselberg
Started on: 12-14-2021 02:28 AM
Replies: 36 (511 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 05-25-2022 08:00 AM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
A fully grown Quetzalcoatlus northropi had an aircraft-like wingspan of some 40 feet from wingtip to wingtip. There's newly published research about how this prehistoric behemoth managed to get itself airborne and flying. I said "new fossil evidence," but what is meant is "new interpretation of the fossil evidence that was discovered almost 50 years ago."

Paleontologists have had different ideas about it over the years:

With [an 11 to 12 meter] wingspan (37-40 feet), Quetzalcoatlus is the largest flying organism ever known and one of the most familiar pterosaurs to the public. Its fossils were first discovered in 1971 by University of Texas at Austin graduate student Douglas Lawson in Big Bend National Park, Texas, the United States.

Despite a half century of interest, Quetzalcoatlus remains very incompletely described. Some paleontologists think the ancient giant rocked forward on its wingtips like a vampire bat; or that it built up speed by running and flapping like an albatross; or that it didn’t fly at all. But according to new research, Quetzalcoatlus probably leaped, jumping at least 2.4 m (8 feet) into the air before lifting off by sweeping its wings.

"Fossils Reveal Unique Walking Behavior of Quetzalcoatlus"
Sci-News; December 8, 2021.
http://www.sci-news.com/pal...alcoatlus-10346.html

The image that I posted is an artist's conception of this animal that is known, from fossil evidence, to have lived 70 million years ago, towards the end of the era of the dinosaurs.

Do you "buy it"..? Can you picture it in your mind? This animal jumping 10 feet or so into the air as it started flapping its wings to become a flier, a transition that according to the news reports that I've looked at, it could accomplish in just about a single second from "clearance" to "takeoff."

You make the call.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 12-14-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where can I get one of those mangrove-palm hybrid trees where another palm grows out of the tree mid-way... that's pretty awesome.

That bird is terrifying. It wouldn't hesitate for a second to pluck me off the ground and swallow me up whole. I've seen what pelicans do to little duck babies... that end is not for me...
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ha! Fun to see someone checking in.

I was reading that even this biggest of the pterosaurs would perceive a human as too large for a prey item. An infant human, likely, but you or I would not look like food to this species. It doesn't have teeth. That huge beak is being likened to a giant pair of chopsticks. So they're looking for critters that they can snag with that beak and gobble down whole, without biting or chewing the prey into smaller parts to swallow.

If there were one animal from prehistoric times that I could actually see (from a safe distance) this must be it. Even more than T-rex or the mighty "Brontosaurus."

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 12-14-2021).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Ha! Fun to see someone checking in.

I was reading that even this biggest of the pterosaurs would perceive a human as too large for a prey item. An infant human, likely, but you or I would not look like food to this species. It doesn't have teeth. That huge beak is being likened to a giant pair of chopsticks. So they're looking for critters that they can snag with that beak and gobble down whole, without biting or chewing the prey into smaller parts to swallow.

If there were one animal from prehistoric times that I could actually see (from a safe distance) this must be it. Even more than T-rex or the mighty "Brontosaurus."

That will be good knowledge to have if I'm ever accidentally transported to prehistoric times. I suppose though, there's more pressing concerns... like cow-sized mosquitos, and other things with jagged teeth that can outrun a Lamborghini. I probably wouldn't last the night.
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quetzalcoatl's coiffed in a quiff! Kwazy man, kwazy!

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 12-14-2021).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Quetzalcoatl's coiffed in a quiff! Kwazy man, kwazy!

I cannot like this...
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The "Cold Dragon of the North Winds."

Cryodrakon boreas, a newly described species of giant pterosaur, was identified from fossils discovered in 2019.

The artist dressed it up with something that might pass on first glance for natural pigmentation, until it is realized that the fossils were discovered in Canada's Alberta Province.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cryodrakon boreas, a newly described species of giant pterosaur, was identified from fossils discovered in 2019.

The artist dressed it up with something that might pass on first glance for natural pigmentation, until it is realized that the fossils were discovered in Canada's Alberta Province.

Hahah! I was waiting for the punch line... I immediately looked at that and thought to myself... "this could be the national bird of Canada."
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

The artist dressed it up with something that might pass on first glance for natural pigmentation...

As a Canadian, I recognized that pattern immediately. Cool.

No abstract stars and stripes painted on this US based Pterosaur though... maybe because it's real! It's interesting to read the comments posted at YouTube (almost 4,000 so far!) in regards to the validity of this footage.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-14-2021).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The real question is, do they have large talons?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

The real question is, do they have large talons?

I just want to know if they have tasty drumsticks.
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was someone who had built a model of a pterosaur that flew via flapping it's wings- to test HOW it actually flew..........Quetzalcoatlus was
gigantic....Even on the ground it would have me setting speed records running from it!

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 12-14-2021).]

steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Taste like chicken I presume.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2021 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<sigh>

I guess this means I gotta spend money on a new saddle. Again.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Frank Frazetta
-

Turok - Son of Stone
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2021 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From my favorite cartoon as a kid... Jonny Quest, dating back to '64. Great sound effects!

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2021 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Neither do owls, hawks, eagles or other large predators and those don't woof down their prey whole either. Teeth don't matter, talons do.

You've evidently never seen a hawk or owl kill and eat a full grown chicken that is nearly as large as themselves. Eagles kill lambs all the time.
(Owls by the way, usually only eat the heads of chickens. So do raccoons)

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun. The frumious Bandersnatch!"

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2021 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reading between the lines (perhaps) of whatever article I was reading, I think the latest fossils-based evidence on the big pterosaur's morphology and physiology infers that this species did not have the same possibility of eagles and hawks and other birds of prey that can tear their prey apart with their talons.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2021 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope... don't like any of this. I'm a big guy, and I know a lion can take me out, but part of me still feels like I can at least put up a fight. With something like that... I'm just an insect.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2021 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bird dino knew ice was heavier than water, clearly.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2021 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Nope... don't like any of this. I'm a big guy, and I know a lion can take me out, but part of me still feels like I can at least put up a fight. With something like that... I'm just an insect.

You think that's scary? Take a look at this!
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2021 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Birds of a feather flock together....
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2021 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This seemed like a nice friendly O/T thread (for a change) to participate in. I'm really hoping it can stay that way.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2021 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick- Jonny Quest; I thought I'd died and gone to heaven whenever I could find it on TV back in the 60s....My two favorite episodes were "Turu the Terrible" (Pteranodon) and the one with the robot spider spy. I have the DVD set now so I can watch them anytime. Hydrofoils, hovercraft, flying belts, lasers......

If you guys want to watch a really good dinosaur (And Pteranodon) movie, try "The Land Unknown"...It was originally supposed to be a big production, so the script is really good, and the special effects are good (The Mat paintings for the background are impressive)

The studio leadership changed during production and new management cut the budget so it converted from color to B&W....But the biggest victim of the budget cut (No pun intended) was the T-rex; It makes Barney look realistic! (Although it's eyes blinking did freak me out when I was young)

If you can get past that one fault, this is a great movie.....I really like that tho they >>SEE<< what their Helicopter hit at one point, they never actually realized that it was what they hit- that is a very good script detail.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2021 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GET IN MAH BELLY!

COME ONNNN I wanna EAT youuuuuu

come onnnnnnnnnn..... *sighs*

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 12-15-2021).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-15-2021 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

GET IN MAH BELLY!

COME ONNNN I wanna EAT youuuuuu

come onnnnnnnnnn..... *sighs*

Thats gotta be the most unimpressed meal I've ever seen.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2021 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

"The Land Unknown"... the biggest victim of the budget cut (No pun intended) was the T-rex; It makes Barney look realistic!

I suspect the T-Rex in The Land Unknown looks absolutely stunning compared to this dinosaur from the movie Caveman. lol

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2021 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was the Ringo Star movie, right? That dino in the footage you posted actually was kind of cool- but the eyes were too big.

The T-rex in TLU was absolutely horrible- not only a man-in-a-suit, but totally upright- and at times it looks like it was covered with paper-mache. I took a pic of it and modified it so it looked somewhat more realistic.....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 12-15-2021).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2021 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

As a Canadian, I recognized that pattern immediately. Cool.

No abstract stars and stripes painted on this US based Pterosaur though... maybe because it's real! It's interesting to read the comments posted at YouTube (almost 4,000 so far!) in regards to the validity of this footage.

I think this "dude" has nailed it. It takes him less than 4 minutes to explain it.
https://youtu.be/ZPpZip6uStA

Spoiler Alert

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 12-16-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2021 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think this "dude" has nailed it. It takes him less than 4 minutes to explain it.

I can explain away its validity in 30 seconds. At 0:07 of the video, when the "Pterosaur" tips its head down, it also tips its wings 90°... yet with no lift being created, instead of dropping like a stone, it continues to effortlessly glide forward. Dead giveaway, looks very unnatural.
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2021 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2021 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rumor, you've been into the Christmas eggnog.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2022 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a very elegant animation of how the largest of the pterosaurs managed to launch themselves into flight. It's narrated by University of Bristol paleontologist Dr. Elizabeth G. Martin-Silverstone, who explores a most hypothetical scenario: Could (and how could) a human ride a giant pterosaur in flight, like riding aboard a flying dragon?

"Pterosaurs: Winged prehistoric giants that ruled the skies"
BBC REEL; March 4, 2021.
Video duration: 9 minutes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reel/...rigins?vpid=p098tv2x

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 02-12-2022).]

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2022 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Birds of a feather flock together....

dinos had feathers too

this big bird need feathers
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2022 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was this 'Death Dragon' the largest-ever animal to take to the skies?

Thanatosdrakon amaru? Maybe. Or maybe that honor belongs to Quetzalcoatlus northropi (at the very beginning of this thread.) This is a new YouTube presentation with some impressively realistic-looking animation. It's inspired by recently discovered fossil remains unearthed in Argentina.

E.D.G.E.
April 29, 2022.
almost 12 minutes
https://youtu.be/jMMmsXnHP6w

These new reports include artist-created and photographic images.

"Giant ‘dragon of death’ with 30-foot wingspan unearthed in Argentina"
Jennifer Nalewicki for Live Science; May 24, 2022.
https://www.livescience.com...erosaur-in-argentina

"Flying reptile: Remains of scary prehistoric creature discovered"
Leo Sands for BBC News; May 24, 2022.
https://www.bbc.com/news/sc...environment-61568468

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-24-2022).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2022 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Was this 'Death Dragon' the largest-ever animal to take to the skies?

Thanatosdrakon amaru? Maybe. Or maybe that honor belongs to Quetzalcoatlus northropi (at the very beginning of this thread.) This is a new YouTube presentation with some impressively realistic-looking animation. It's inspired by recently discovered fossil remains unearthed in Argentina.

E.D.G.E.
April 29, 2022.
almost 12 minutes
https://youtu.be/jMMmsXnHP6w

These new reports include artist-created and photographic images.

"Giant ‘dragon of death’ with 30-foot wingspan unearthed in Argentina"
Jennifer Nalewicki for Live Science; May 24, 2022.
https://www.livescience.com...erosaur-in-argentina

"Flying reptile: Remains of scary prehistoric creature discovered"
Leo Sands for BBC News; May 24, 2022.
https://www.bbc.com/news/sc...environment-61568468

Makes you wonder where the earliest idea of "dragons" came from. I suppose I could look it up, but I'm going to guess... I figure someone found a dinosaur carcass somewhere in Europe and presumed it belonged to something which they identified as a dragon.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock