Aircraft story.... by cvxjet
Started on: 11-26-2022 12:44 PM
Replies: 59 (857 views)
Last post by: Valkrie9 on 09-09-2024 09:06 AM
Valkrie9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2024 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

. Early Flight in the Cro-Magnon Period

. ' Yeah, Sure, I'll go hunt Mastodon with you Jennifer ! '

. ' She's my little Rock and Roll Queen '

. ' Yeah ! Robots, they're great to Wage War with, so very effective.

, The Princess of Mars !
Yeah, Frank Frazetta was a gifted artist and great sci-fi fantasist, hot scantly clad babes, making a trip to Barsoom appealing for a horny teen in the '60s.

Bikinis ? Hell, yeah !

Star Wars Star Fighter Scramble Scene.. ' Invaders ! '

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 08-23-2024).]

IP: Logged
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2024 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Inspired by this morning's Lancaster flyover, as I had exited the building in the Park, I instantly recognized the sound of the four Merlins, the whine of the reduction gear, the engines synched.
Put my hand up to shield the Sun, and there it was, directly overhead, 1000' agl, course bearing 45°, the engines roars raising hair.
As it headed over High Park in the distance, I thought what a sight it would have been to see a few hundred, a thousand approaching, through the 88 flak, the 109s and Focke-Wulfs preying.
A shiver, flying into probable destruction, doing it anyways.
Goderich Arrival
Firestorm

Sober, profound deliberation, ' If we fail to destroy the ball-bearing plant, the Luftwaffe will bomb London again. '

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 08-25-2024).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2024 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I cranked up my now ancient year old AI program. It's been vastly surpassed in capabilities by more recent AI offerings... but it's still fun to poke around with. I was trying to get it to do a steampunk jet aircraft, and I kept on adding different text prompts to affect the outcome(s). Anyway, here's a few of the many many images it produced. If nothing else, I love the color combinations.

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2024 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CNE Airshow
Yesterday, an F-22 Raptor flew overhead at 500' agl, literally went around a condo tower on Lakeshore Boulevard, sneaky like.
Thrust vectoring in play, very impressive indeed.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2024 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkrie9:

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CNE Airshow
Yesterday, an F-22 Raptor flew overhead at 500' agl, literally went around a condo tower on Lakeshore Boulevard, sneaky like.
Thrust vectoring in play, very impressive indeed.

I remember watching a Canadian team called The Golden Hawks flying F-86 Sabres back around 1960 at Eglin Field just east of Pensacola. We used to go to all of the airshows around there, back then.

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2024 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a F-22 fly at Travis AFB airshow back in March.....I know a lot about aircraft- I saw the F-22 Turn hard to a complete dead-stop...then power out of it (Did that TWICE!)

If any of you read at all, there is a book about the guy who >>Forced<< the Air Force to go for the F-16 fighter....His name is John Boyd and he came up with the modern theory of warfare that helped us win the first Gulf war...The Marines hold him in high regard due to his theories!

Then he kept after the Air Force top brass until they went for the idea of a SMALL fighter with great maneuverability- The F-16 has the pilot sitting at 30* angle to mitigate the effects of pulling high "G"s, and instead of a center-stick control, it has a small stick on the side console that supports the pilot's arm- you simply roll the stick and the aircraft responds.

The book about this whole story is called "Boyd"...a pilot at CG Air station SF lent me a copy- then I decided to buy my own copy.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 08-31-2024).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2024 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Coincidentally, I spoke briefly with an elderly military veteran today at the point, the F-22 launching a dozen flares over Toronto's lakefront Islands.
We had both seen the F-86 airshows in the '50s and 60's.
Early 90's, I had handed the binoculars to the kid, who had the pair of Phantom F4-Ds in view, who then both rolled right to climb full A/B at a steep angle south, the twin tailpipes lit up, glowing flame cones.
He opened his eyes wide in surprise, I did too, spectacular power at work.
Had a chance to see an F111 do a supersonic pass over the runway in North Bay, big boom, a shocking speed pass, probably no more than 200' agl
The RCAF Golden Hawks
Avro Canada CF 100
F101 Voodoos were at the CNE show wayback, early '60s.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2024 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The RCAF Golden Hawks

At 9:50 there is what I would call a P2V. I didn't know the RCAF used them, and Navy blue, at that! I knew what a MAD boom was before I could read.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 08-31-2024).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2024 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Intercepting Soviet nuke bombers over Canada !
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2024 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live near pretty much the end of san francisco bay and the whole area has tons of pathways that go all over. Beautiful wetlands, tons of birds. During covid I was exploring some new areas on my bike w my kid in the trailer and came across a weird site. He can ride now so we go often. Few days ago I found it again way behind shoreline park and Moffett NAS thats used by nasa now. Its a weird looking place, a half built building w a pile of rubble out front w an old van on top. 2 refinery looking towers, and old plane, train cars, an old bus. Says nasa dirt on the sign and the security guard was eyeballing me taking pics.

Theres this cool old storage container that caught my eye the first time

Checked it out and that plane was made and tested there, same year as me
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19790043358

Heres a further back shot, the weird shaped building is one of 2 google buildings, the other is to the right. You can see the Moffett blimp hanger

Then we kept going and found this levy that went out as far as we could see. we went down it for miles and wound up behind Moffett. Heres the blimp hanger getting reskinned. There was a huge deal to restore the blimp hanger years ago, took forever to get approved. Once deskinned, some goobers tried to get it taken down so the job was on hold for several more years.

The big square thing is the nasa wind tunnel where they test aircraft in high winds. Had a job one time and the guy was a scientist there and told me they pretty much just destroyed stuff there to see the limits. Said they had to give pge 2 weeks notice because it pulled so much power and they could only test after 2am. Pulls air in the front and shoots it upwards.

Heres a shot of the aircraft hangers

A bunker

Some planes on the runway

Overpriced concert parking WTF?!

Before nasa bought the place, big ol c-130s would land there often. Sometimes when I was working close by, they would fly very low to the ground in circles for 10-20 mins before landing. So friggin loud lol. If you were really lucky you would be driving on the 101 freeway overpass as one was landing. The runways right next to the freeway opposite of where I took the pics. Used to have air shows there back in the day, blue angels and stunt planes. They would practice for weeks before the show right over the back. Used to go up on the roof and watch them for hours. Good times.

shem

[This message has been edited by shemdogg (edited 09-02-2024).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2024 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Some planes on the runway
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

P-3 Orion, the submarine hunter that replaced the P2V Neptune in the early '60s.
Based on the L-188 Electra.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2024 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Its a weird looking place, a half built building w a pile of rubble out front...

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

I had to zoom in to see whether that building was going up or coming down! That's a very interesting looking site indeed.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-02-2024).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2024 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Keep your head up !

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2024 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1672 posts
Member since Jan 2021
del..

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 09-04-2024).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2024 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1672 posts
Member since Jan 2021

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2024 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to a bunch of air shows years ago- including a few that were viewed from the USS Coral Sea while I was in the Navy.

Best two were at Beale AB in N.CA (Saw the SR-71 fly!!!!!) and Moffet Field- lots of experimental aircraft ++++

Here are some pics;

XV-15 experimental tilt-rotor....and the old blimp hanger before they took the skin off- they actually had a balloon you could go up in...INSIDE that blimp hanger!

Best aircraft the Blue Angels ever flew was the A-4 Skyhawk

Don't know how I TIMED this shot- Got all SIX Angels in the crossing- look at them vs peoples heads....

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
During the Iran Crisis, in the Sea of Arabia, the Nimitz put on an airshow for us (We returned the favor) but here is an F-14 @ M2 leaving a wake in the water!

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 09-04-2024).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2024 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Don't know how I TIMED this shot- Got all SIX Angels in the crossing- look at them vs peoples heads....

Good shot! I tried to tweak it a bit.

Alternate universe...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-05-2024).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2024 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lockheed P-38 Lightning, 1937.

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 09-08-2024).]

NewDustin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2024 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NewDustinSend a Private Message to NewDustinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lockheed P-38 Lightning, 1937.

I've loved that plane since I used it to bring vengeance to the Nazi bastards that sank my aircraft carrier when I was 6. True story.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2024 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The under ten children played this wayback, I spent perhaps all of half an hour flying a P-47 on a mission in France to a Luftwaffe airfield, the sim faithfully showing compressibility.
A fun game, I guess, not a gamer in any way shape or form, at all.
Cad-Cam for aerospace. heavy manufacturing in the 20th-21st centuries.
' Wing Spars '
' Heavy Truck Transmission die-cast mold '
' Continuous Steel rolling mill processing lines, six of them. '
Heavy Duty Machine Manufacturing, since the early '70s.

This photo is Mitsubishi in Japan, we did the very same thing here in Toronto, for the Nuke Generators.
That is a very expensive shaft, ~ 20M, and why they are lifting it up from the machine carefully.

' Like Heavy Tony said in the '80s, this is a no mercy occupation, everything here is far too expensive for error ! '
What it's like being.. perfect.
Under pressure, scared to death, stressing to be..
Thousands of us in the shop, all perfect, it's a weird feeling, like.

' Nobody Does It Better ' ~ Carly Simon

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 09-09-2024).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay