Started on: 07-25-2023 09:54 AM
Replies: 28 (397 views)
Last post by: Zeb on 08-18-2023 05:01 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2023 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You MUST download our app and scan your QR code to shop here.

Easy enough to say frack you and go elsewhere when only one or 2 are doing it. But when they all do ?

https://twitter.com/ilumina.../1683638224357404672

And dont forget, no drivers license means no internet

https://twitter.com/Rationa.../1682454943113043968

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 07-25-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2023 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as this Aldi's market that is requiring that people have a mobile phone with the Aldi's app to enter the store, I can see the argument that this enables them to offer lower prices.

But where does the discussion go from there?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2023 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Google wants a Palm Print and App to use Whole Foods in some stores.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2023 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Hopefully an EMP that knocks this tecno-nutbar society back to about 1953 and some resemblance of sanity instead of a Sci-Fi horror movie.
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2023 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As far as this Aldi's market that is requiring that people have a mobile phone with the Aldi's app to enter the store, I can see the argument that this enables them to offer lower prices.

I didn't follow Mike's link, but how is requiring an app different than requiring a(n) user account before ordering on say Amazon?

I'll be back to read this thread when I grab my laptop.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2023 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cash is king. pay in pennies.

or print out .99 cent serial labels for EVERYTHING.

Overwhelm their sensors!!!! The 'identity drones' are coming - AKKKKKK!!!!!

*you want my retinal scan? how about a taste of my ANAL scan, Bee-yatch! *shoves his butthole into the sensor*

(This is what the sensor looks like):

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 07-26-2023).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2023 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12581 posts
Member since Jan 2012
Aldi's is pretty damn amazing, to be honest. 150-160 bucks to get what I normally get for 350 in my local neighborhood. Its nuts how vastly different their prices are compared to other places.

Ok, so we have "bagel Pizzas" instead of "pizza bagels". 1/6th the price!?! and bread is 50 cents instead of 3.99 (That's actually kinda 4 bucks)??? Thats nuts.

I wish they sold diapers.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2023 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've heard/read that quite a few places around Austin Tx are going card only, no cash. Reasons vary. New age hippy type restaurants mostly.
fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2023 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scanning an app = "dystopia"

The victim mentality of these snowflakes is embarrassing.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2023 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you are happy to be herded by any corporation that wants to ?

Sheep.

Or in your own language...

Baaaa Baaaa Ba Ba Baaaaaa
fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2023 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

So you are happy to be herded by any corporation that wants to ?

1. I don't consider scanning an app a sacrifice or burden

2. I don't believe that businesses should be regulated just to staunch the tears of whimpering luddites.
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2023 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fredtoast:
1. I don't consider scanning an app a sacrifice or burden

Any compulsory action is a burden. It takes away free choice.

2. I don't believe that businesses should be regulated just to staunch the tears of whimpering luddites.

So a grocery store should be able to FORCE you to own a smart-phone AND CARRY IT WITH YOU, and do business with a cell carrier ? The corpocracy has beyond "crossed the line" in taking control of individual lives. But you are right, regulation isnt the appropriate response. Execution of the board is.

<Edit>

Yes, I own one. No I don't carry it with me, it generally stays at home. I refuse to be location-tracked and where I am going or have been is nobodies business but mine. ESPECIALLY not google or da goobernment. Dont really give a damn how many "policies" or "terms and conditions" or "regulations' or "laws" that violates. They can go eff themselves.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 07-26-2023).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2023 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I've heard/read that quite a few places around Austin Tx are going card only, no cash. Reasons vary. New age hippy type restaurants mostly.

Six Flags and all of their parks have been for at least 3 years. Reverse ATMs in the large buildings. Tickets the same way.

I could talk about security ad nauseum, which also is to the point: if you don't like it shop elsewhere. The app even more so. I don't eat at McDonald's or have their app. Same with every other fast food joint. It isn't a big deal to me. On the rare occasion I get fast food I almost always go in and to a person. I don't carry a ton of cash, so I do pay with my card. I used to "tap to pay" (specifically Samsung pay and MST) long before everyone was doing it. I stopped because they took away the rewards. It was close to $50 a month. Incentive to get me hooked.

I have my suspicion that they are trying to rid us of non-digital transactions...and why not? I'm not a Judeo-Christian guy, but the bible has a lot of good insight. None in my mind related to a deity.

Mike I hope you have a great day. I like Aldi. Don't shop there often due to geography. My "poor" friend in college used to skip out on paying or leave his wallet. Aldi took daddy's Amex though and we used to make him load up.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2023 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem isnt the one store. or a theme park. or a burger joint. Not any one of them.

It's the overall trend of "going China" with the "social credit" and the technology is the means to do it.

Personally, I refuse to play the game. We have 2 grocery stores here, No Frills (Loblaws) and Walmart Supercenter. If both of of those chains jump on board with "the app crap" I will be driving an hour each way for groceries.
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2023 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It use to be a company selling anything to the public, in a walk in situation had to accept cash, it was illegal not to….10k fine from the treasury dept for not accepting cash. Forcing anybody into using goods and services they don’t want….or can afford, (interest rates) is B.S.
Credit cards or any credit system will set up people who haven’t had any basic training on good credit practices for failure in over extending their means.. imo
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2023 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going "cashless" eliminates the carbon emissions and other environmental pollution that arises from the couriering and trucking of paper currency and coins between retail points of sale, collection centers and banks.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2023 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Going "cashless" eliminates the carbon emissions and other environmental pollution that arises from the couriering and trucking of paper currency and coins between retail points of sale, collection centers and banks.

Remember the early 70's Mopar small-blocks ?

Cross-over passages in the intake manifold would get clogged up with carbon and it wouldnt run right.

I think the exact same thing is happening to eco-wackos brains.

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2023 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PhatMax:

It use to be a company selling anything to the public, in a walk in situation had to accept cash, it was illegal not to….10k fine from the treasury dept for not accepting cash. Forcing anybody into using goods and services they don’t want….or can afford, (interest rates) is B.S.
Credit cards or any credit system will set up people who haven’t had any basic training on good credit practices for failure in over extending their means.. imo

I thought I knew that when I was a kid. When did this change or is it now just like the weed laws?
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2023 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That almost sounds crazy. But that's a lot of moving parts that will eventually just not be there anymore...

Just think about how many humans are involved with the production and transportation of cash. And the installation and maintenance of the machines that dispense it... That's a lotta jobs goin' away...

If humans were different, imagine a world where you could just walk around and not have to worry about any of the stuff that many folks worry about nearly constantly.

Healthcare. Finances. Job security. Getting mugged.

Its a messy world, and it'll always be messy.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2023 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What will we toss into the fountain? I predict a string of dashed wishes.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2023 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We should all go back to carrying bags of Gold dust! (I was using the green stuff to pay for things at the store- but recently two times, the clerk told me "That's moldy bread!" I thought money was referred to as bread...and it's green.....)

Seriously, I don't own a schmart phone....I had a flip phone but they killed it (3G) and the replacement they sent me was defective...so I now just have a home phone. And any time they mention Q-R code on TV I want to throw a brick thru the TV.
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2023 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats a hard "screw you, I'm going elsewhere"

https://twitter.com/WallStr.../1692255766017655239
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2023 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't consider scanning an app a sacrifice or burden.

I know a person who has 356 apps on his phone. He has trouble finding the correct apps.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2023 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

36473 posts
Member since Jun 2003

My. You are so fearful of carbon emissions. How do you sleep t night ?
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2023 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats a hard "screw you, I'm going elsewhere"

https://twitter.com/WallStr.../1692255766017655239

I wonder if you need to be a prime member to enter...

Need to scan to enter a store, but don't need to show ID to vote.
fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2023 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So a grocery store should be able to FORCE you to own a smart-phone AND CARRY IT WITH YOU, and do business with a cell carrier ?

Yes. They should be FREE to do this in a FREE MARKET society. Why do you hate FREEDOM so much. Why do you think everyone should be FORCED AGAINST THEIR WILL to do things the way you want to?
fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2023 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fredtoast

1452 posts
Member since Jun 2023

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:
Need to scan to enter a store, but don't need to show ID to vote.

False equivalency.

You have to have ID to register to vote. You can't just walk in and vote (like walking in a store to shop) without first being registered to vote.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2023 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes. They should be FREE to do this in a FREE MARKET society. Why do you hate FREEDOM so much. Why do you think everyone should be FORCED AGAINST THEIR WILL to do things the way you want to?

I value INDIVIDUAL freedom, not Corporate freedom. A corporation HAS no "rights". Some fool idiot judge long ago decided to grant artificial entities "personhood" and it has been downhill since. I am as much against the corpocracy and I am the gubMENTAL idiocrac6y.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2023 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What about MY freedoms, Fred? The freedom from their tracking software that follows what I buy, when I buy, where I buy. And probably tracks a LOT of things they don't "bother" to tell me about.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock