Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  removing window tint from a vehicle without damaging the windows?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
removing window tint from a vehicle without damaging the windows? by maryjane
Started on: 10-30-2023 07:31 PM
Replies: 20 (220 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 11-03-2023 03:56 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2023 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Driver's side and passenger's side +rear window are tinted too dark, and IMO, darker than my state's regulations allows.You cannot see inside from outside, once inside, I cannot see the passenger rear view mirror. How do I get it off easily and safely (without scratching the glass)
F150 truck, if it makes a difference.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2023 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are Tint Removal chems @ many part stores etc.

Think is just acetone etc in another label w/ directions to use it for the application.

can be a pain to use because many things "eat" glue can do major damage to trim etc below the glass.

Try careful scraping to start then Iso Prop Alcohol or Citric "Glue Gone" to release the glue layer.

State law in most places...
"Ban" most tint level & types on Front D & P glass.
Other side & back glass can be Tinted a lot but not "Mirror" tint make to reflect light because Sun hits it then blinds other drivers.

Many models have "Limo Tint" on most glass as OE Standard Options but isn't just for selling vehicles. Those often have a "weaker" AC to meet EPA etc rules.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-30-2023).]

Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2023 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have removed tint using razor blades. You can even get a cheap scraper/holder for them.

This one is from Wal*mart but you can find them at most hardware and tool stores.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2023 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steam is the way the pros do it. I've done it a few times, it's still a process, but the steam helps remove the glue. For me it was worth it to pay the extra for the tint company I've used in OKC for 15 years just to do it when they re-tint.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2023 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I concur with what Doug said. A clean / new razorblade is the easiest way to get stuff off of glass. The ONLY place you do not want to use a razorblade, is on the inside of the windshield because it's laminated for safety. All the other glass will be a perfect pane of glass.

99% of the time, if the window has some factory tint or the PPG sound deadening... it's usually meshed between two pieces of glass... so the glass on the inside and outside will just be glass. This is how I used it from my 2002 Ford Explorer when I went to go get it inspected several years back. They told me I had to remove the tint, so I did it in the parking lot with a razor and then they inspected it again and passed me.
Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2023 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steam and plastic razor blades cut down on scratching.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2023 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never heard of plastic razor blades. Where would I find them? Never noticed any in the men's aisle where the rest of the shaving/grooming stuff is.... (I only recently switched from a Gillette double edge 'safety razor' because the blades were getting hard to find so I'm not all that savvy about razors.)

After driving only Janes 2013 Dart for 18 months, this truck feels HUGE.
On the down side, I have only 8" to spare getting it to fit far enough inside the 2 car garage for the garage's overhead door to close.. My nice roomy neat garage ain't roomy no more...

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-31-2023).]

Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2023 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I've never heard of plastic razor blades. Where would I find them?

They are more of a "tool" than for use on your face. Look at NAPA, Advance auto, Ebay, Amazon, etc.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2023 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to remove the ancient tint from the rear window of my Fiero. It has turned purple from age!

Aren't the defroster wires there on the surface or are they buried in the glass? I admit I've never looked close enough because the tint is in the way.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2023 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
⚠️ Fiero & many more including many current models have "printed" defog heaters on rear glass & easily damage scrapping anything off inside of them.

Plastic blades may help or not depending on sticker/tint. Metal single edge blades are not in shaving dept in most stores too. Look in tools.
Both are NOT SAFE for Defog Glass w/ printed heaters.

Steam can help but make sure you don't heat the glass in spots. That can stress the glass unevenly & side/rear glass can turn BBs.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2023 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It appears, that the driver's side window tint on mine is maybe going to peel right off, or at least did for a couple of inches earlier last night just by getting a fingernail under it and pulling. I was afraid to try farther till I got back home from Whataburger with it...actually will wait till daylight.
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2023 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MJ, I had a tint business for years.....

Usually you can grab a corner and peel it right off.

If not, a single edge razor blade and some mildly soapy water will do the job without scratching the window.

If those techniques don't work, use a spray bottle with some sudsy ammonia.
Soak the film with the sudsy ammonia and cover it with some paper towels or newspaper. Let it set for a while and the film should release easily with the help of the razor blade.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2023 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

MJ, I had a tint business for years.....

Usually you can grab a corner and peel it right off.

If not, a single edge razor blade and some mildly soapy water will do the job without scratching the window.

If those techniques don't work, use a spray bottle with some sudsy ammonia.
Soak the film with the sudsy ammonia and cover it with some paper towels or newspaper. Let it set for a while and the film should release easily with the help of the razor blade.

Sounds like a plan to me but, I would elect to take it to a shop and let them do it and install a lighter tint but, that's just me. Are you available?

Rams

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2023 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I can still tint.

Transportation costs might be problematic though.....
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2023 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A heat gun, even a hair drier, will help.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2023 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

A heat gun, even a hair drier, will help.

From my experience, it is a waste of time to use heat.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2023 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:
From my experience, it is a waste of time to use heat.

Your wrong. I am a genius, in my own mind.

I have always thought softening adhesives helped in removal of any decals and such. A summer day beats a frigid a winter day in aiding removal.

Of tint, I speak with no experience.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2023 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know nothing about tint at all. Never put any on and never owned a vehicle that had anything but what it came with from factory. All I know, is the tint on this truck is just too dark.

It went 'ok' I guess, on the front 2 windows anyway, but with an odd thing. (I haven't tried the back windows or rear window) The driver's side was peeling just a tiny bit at the top and I was able to grasp it and slowly peel it off. The passenger side likewise, except I had to use a razor blade at the very top of the darkness to get it started but once I got it off I realized it (the glass) looked different than the driver's side. The old passenger's side tint feels very thin as I crumpled it up, and there is still a light tint left on that glass, where the driver's side crumpled thick and the glass now appears clear.
Did I leave something behind on the passenger side?
Did I pull something off the driver's side I shouldn't have?

Top edge of the driver's side glass:

Passenger's side glass:

The windshield seems normal but both the 2 rear windows (It's a supercrew f150 with the full size back doors and seat) and the back glass are still very dark and I'll try to get to them today....maybe.
Taken at 11:30am with bright sunlight behind.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2023 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent, mj
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2023 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The the previous owner tint tinted glass?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2023 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I know nothing about tint at all. Never put any on and never owned a vehicle that had anything but what it came with from factory. All I know, is the tint on this truck is just too dark.

It went 'ok' I guess, on the front 2 windows anyway, but with an odd thing. (I haven't tried the back windows or rear window) The driver's side was peeling just a tiny bit at the top and I was able to grasp it and slowly peel it off. The passenger side likewise, except I had to use a razor blade at the very top of the darkness to get it started but once I got it off I realized it (the glass) looked different than the driver's side. The old passenger's side tint feels very thin as I crumpled it up, and there is still a light tint left on that glass, where the driver's side crumpled thick and the glass now appears clear.
Did I leave something behind on the passenger side?
Did I pull something off the driver's side I shouldn't have?

The back windows of these Fords (trucks) usually have some tint in them. Especially in Ford Explorers. It's not totally noticable, except for inside. But it should be in the glass so it likely won't be an issue if you scrape the window with a razor.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock