Started on: 11-24-2023 04:03 AM
Replies: 11 (168 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 11-25-2023 11:15 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 457
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This information isn't something brand new (it's a few months old), but I stumbled across this video yesterday and it intrigued me. It involves downloading and installing a lean mean clean version of Win10 or Win11 on older laptops or PCs. I tried it on a 16 year old PC, and it works rather well.

If anyone has any questions about the procedure... feel free to ask.

And if anyone has a product key from a non-functional Win7 (or Win8 or Win10) laptop or PC they could send me via PM, I'd like to see if I can activate this Tiny10 version of Windows on my old PC. (It actually works just fine without being officially activated, it just that things like personalizing the desktop etc can't be done without the activation of Windows.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-24-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never heard of Tiny 10 or Tiny 11, but I certainly think it's possible.

A lot of people don't know, but Windows 10, Windows 11, etc... they all use the exact same kernel that was first used in Longhorn / Windows Vista. The only thing that's changed is the amount of logging that Windows does, the features, and some of the other built in components they've added. So if a computer can run Windows 7, it absolutely can run Windows 11... the only reason why it won't let you install it is because the program is intentionally designed to reject installs for computers that are below the requested specifications.

The only thing I'd be wondering about is whether or not it gets all the updates and how that affects its ability to remain lean.
ray b

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
had an old apt that did that on w7
let you unload china or arab languages and any other unneeded stuff

best speed up is the on board m2 hardwired HD-D chip
my 6 core i7 boots almost instantly on full never paid for w10 free d/l

[This message has been edited by ray b (edited 11-24-2023).]

williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

The only thing I'd be wondering about is whether or not it gets all the updates and how that affects its ability to remain lean.

Windows Update works fine (even without Windows being activated), and the mandatory updates seem to be limited to security stuff. There are also optional updates like drivers etc.

Windows Update also gave me the option to update Windows itself to a newer version, and my concern was the same as yours, as I didn't know exactly what that would entail. So I refused it, but I plan to research this further to see what other people have learned/discovered.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Windows Update works fine (even without Windows being activated), and the mandatory updates seem to be limited to security stuff. There are also optional updates like drivers etc.

Windows Update also gave me the option to update Windows itself to a newer version, and my concern was the same as yours, as I didn't know exactly what that would entail. So I refused it, but I plan to research this further to see what other people have learned/discovered.

Oh, so you did it? Did you notice it running much faster?
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We've been using Tiny 11, it's alright...

Win XP "Ultimate edition" was pretty sweet on old hardware. (basically WinXP with SP3)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Oh, so you did it? Did you notice it running much faster?

I installed Tiny10 on an XP computer (Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E4300 1.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM) which had two identical 300GB hard drives... one drive for OS and programs, the other drive for video capture. I installed Tiny10 on the "video" drive, so the PC is basically dual-boot now... XP and/or Win10.

It's difficult to compare the two operating systems, even though they're using the same hardware, as they're set up for different tasks. For example, I don't go online with XP... but Tiny10 works just fine for any tasks online with this old hardware setup. And I'm not a gamer, so I can't make any comment in that regard.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36719 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

We've been using Tiny 11, it's alright...

From what I understand, Win11 (the full blown version) really isn't up to snuff (compared to Win10), so Tiny11 might not be too impressive. That's one reason why I decided to try Tiny10 as opposed to trying Tiny11.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2023 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I installed Tiny10 on an XP computer (Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E4300 1.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM) which had two identical 300GB hard drives... one drive for OS and programs, the other drive for video capture. I installed Tiny10 on the "video" drive, so the PC is basically dual-boot now... XP and/or Win10.

It's difficult to compare the two operating systems, even though they're using the same hardware, as they're set up for different tasks. For example, I don't go online with XP... but Tiny10 works just fine for any tasks online with this old hardware setup. And I'm not a gamer, so I can't make any comment in that regard.

I think I once had a Dell with about those same specs (minus the 2nd hard drive) and didn't really find the original XP lacking much to begin with. It was a big improvement over w9X.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2023 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

...and didn't really find the original XP lacking much to begin with.

In the early 2000's I was teaching video editing at night school, and a sideline of that was building/selling PCs for my students to use for capturing/editing home video (which was almost exclusively still tape-based). I installed XP on all those computers. Especially when unnecessary background services were turned off, XP was quite snappy. I liked it.
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2023 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Hah... my wife and I met at a company we both worked for some 20+ years ago...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock