Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Question: What's the best way to get splattered concrete off of a brick wall.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Question: What's the best way to get splattered concrete off of a brick wall. by blackrams
Started on: 08-07-2024 12:19 AM
Replies: 19 (169 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 08-10-2024 02:09 PM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2024 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Long story, short version. Had a crew come and pour a concrete patio on the back of my home. The 13/14 year old kid operating the concrete buggy from the truck to the forms wasn't very concerned about the splatter from the concrete being dumped. While not big splatter spots, they are still there and numerous (like over a thousand little splatter spots. It was dusk when that crew left (after taking the forms off), I didn't notice till the next morning.

Thought about getting some Muriatic Acid, have seen it work on mortar before but unsure if it'll do the job on concrete.

------------------
Rams
Learning most of life's lessons the hard way. .
You are only young once but, you can be immature indefinitely.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 08-10-2024).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2024 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Long story, short version. Had a crew come and pour a concrete patio on the back of my home. The 13/14 year old kid operating the concrete buggy from the truck to the forms wasn't very concerned about the splatter from the concrete being dumped. While not big splatter spots, they are still there and numerous (like over a thousand little splatter spots. It was dusk when that crew left (after taking the forms off), I didn't notice till the next morning.

Thought about getting some Muric Acid, have seen it work on mortar before but unsure if it'll do the job on concrete.

I had something really similar in my Texas house (which was brick). The first thing I did was go over the area with a hard-bristled brush... that seemed to get a lot of it off, but I had to push hard. For some of the big ones, I literally had to go out there with a hammer and a big flat-head.

Problem obviously is that the brick is porous, and the concrete sticks to it really well.

Anything you do, you run the risk of it causing a discoloration on your brick, compared to the rest of the house. You can kinda fix that by pressure-washing your house... but that's not something you normally do with brick.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2024 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
I had something really similar in my Texas house (which was brick). The first thing I did was go over the area with a hard-bristled brush... that seemed to get a lot of it off, but I had to push hard. For some of the big ones, I literally had to go out there with a hammer and a big flat-head.

Problem obviously is that the brick is porous, and the concrete sticks to it really well.

Anything you do, you run the risk of it causing a discoloration on your brick, compared to the rest of the house. You can kinda fix that by pressure-washing your house... but that's not something you normally do with brick.

Understood. Have already addressed the splatters with an steel wire brush and an angle grinder with a wire wheel. But, some of those gray concrete spots are still showing on that dark red brick. I may never get them cleaned off but, thought I'd ask. Pressure washing will begin today (if I can stand the heat).

Thanks for responding.

------------------
Rams

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2024 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Muriatic Acid is often used in concrete work to clean up. Especially with freshly laid brick and block.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2024 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Muriatic Acid is often used in concrete work to clean up. Especially with freshly laid brick and block.

Yep, have seen it used on new brick and mortar structures but never on concrete. Will look into that. Thanks.

Rams
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2024 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
paint..............................................
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2024 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best way to get splattered concrete off of a brick wall ?

Call the company which did the pour and tell them it's their problem. They likely have had to correct it a time or two.

At least ask them which would be the best way.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2024 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Absolutely no way am I painting that brick wall. First, I'm not all that impressed with painted brick houses and secondly, I'd end up having to paint the entire house. Nope, no way.

Originally posted by cliffw:

The best way to get splattered concrete off of a brick wall ?

Call the company which did the pour and tell them it's their problem. They likely have had to correct it a time or two.

At least ask them which would be the best way.

Already used a stiff wire brush then, my angle grinder with a wire wheel and lastly, pressure sprayer. May go to HD or Lowe's and get me some of the Muriatic Acid if it still looks speckled. Currently, it's wet and so am I. Thinking I'm gonna let it and me dry out first.

------------------
Rams

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2024 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hell, you're a Democrat! Splatter concrete over the entire house and call it Progress.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2024 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I'll concur here with MJ.

When I lived in San Antonio, a truck side-swiped our mailbox and kinda tore it to **** . Most of the brickwork was good, but some of it was damaged.

The guy who repaired it used concrete with stain, and then painted the brick to match the other brick. Not the greatest picture... but this brick was painted... well... at least 3 of the bricks were completely painted.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2024 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Hell, you're a Democrat! Splatter concrete over the entire house and call it Progress.

------------------
Rams

PFF
System Bot
Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2024 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Former Concrete Truck driver speaking from experience.

Muratic acid is the answer.

You could try mixing it 50/50 with water to see if that works,

If not, apply it sparingly at full strength, and rebrush it every couple of minutes.
It slowly disolves concrete spatter as you rebrush it.

A good wash with water will rinse it off.

It also worked wonders on our second last camping trailer. Previous owner had poured a sidewalk next to the trailer, and spattered it fairly well.

We used to have a 55 gallon drom of muratic acid at the concrete batch plant, for washing our mixers.

Make sure to use full protective goggles, etc.
Stings a bit when it gets on you.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2024 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, will try that when the temps drop. Thanks

Rams
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2024 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Absolutely no way am I painting that brick wall.

Maybe not the whole wall, but just stain the spots to match the brick

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2024 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bing,
Agreed. Just the splatter spots. There’s only about a 1,000 left. 😩
Rams
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2024 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bing,
Agreed. Just the splatter spots. There’s only about a 1,000 left. 😩
Rams

A thousand?

You must be talking about "spatter" instead of "splatter".

***pulls on fire suit***

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2024 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BingB:

A thousand?

You must be talking about "spatter" instead of "splatter".

***pulls on fire suit***

To help out with the project, (I didn't want a nine-yard concrete truck rolling over my concrete driveway about 200 feet long) so, I used my Kubota tractor with FEL to transport the concrete. I was careful about dumping the bucket between the forms. The 13/14-year-old kid operating the concrete buggy just dumped and went. Yeah, there were a lot of splatters. As I previously said, I've got the vast majority wire brushed and pressure sprayed off but, there are still a lot of splotches that I'm hoping the Muriatic Acid with take care of. I knew better, should have forced the crew to put up a plastic barrier on that wall but, didn't think I'd have this end result. Have poured more concrete in my life than I care to remember, I knew better.
------------------
Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 08-10-2024).]

BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2024 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To help out with the project, (I didn't want a nine-yard concrete truck rolling over my concrete driveway about 200 feet long) so, I used my Kubota tractor with FEL to transport the concrete. I was careful about dumping the bucket between the forms. The 13/14-year-old kid operating the concrete buggy just dumped and went. Yeah, there were a lot of splatters. As I previously said, I've got the vast majority wire brushed and pressure sprayed off but, there are still a lot of splotches that I'm hoping the Muriatic Acid with take care of. I knew better, should have forced the crew to put up a plastic barrier on that wall but, didn't think I'd have this end result. Have poured more concrete in my life than I care to remember, I knew better.

I understand.

By a weird coincidence I just had another conversation where I was told the difference between "spatter" and "splatter" in a condescending manner. I wanted to pass along the knowledge, but in a more lighthearted way.

And just in case you are interested, crime scene investigation involves "spatter" analysis instead of "splatter".

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2024 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just plead insanity.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2024 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BingB:

And just in case you are interested, crime scene investigation involves "spatter" analysis instead of "splatter".

Well, of course. If my wall was covered with "spatter" I wouldn't be concerned about it, dried blood is just about the right color. Concrete, not so much.

------------------
Rams

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock