My Story/Vent by AngelOf86
Started on: 08-16-2024 02:16 AM
Replies: 15 (221 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 08-18-2024 10:10 AM
AngelOf86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2024 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AngelOf86Send a Private Message to AngelOf86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just skip this. I bought my Fiero "Sirius" last month and I absolutely love him. I got a fiero because I feel I have a lot in common with them. Just for reference I'm a young adult with autism/ADD. No one's ever really had hope in me and everyone who's been my "friend" just turned me into a personal project to "fix" me. I come from a home where mental health issues are considered a "prayer" issue. Ive grown up believing ill never get to be anything because of my disability and been yelled at for being "selfish" and had my throat grabbed for asking to go out side because a refrigerator humming was giving me a meltdown. I have lots of issues with depression and may have developed PTSD from a shooting in July of 2018 (I'm not diagnosed but definitely have symptoms. I won't say I have it unless I get it diagnosed) I also have a history with suicidal thoughts/Attempts and self harm (the reason I chose the name "AngelOf86") I'm getting better but I feel worthless now. I feel attached to my fiero because we're both considered "worthless", broken, unreliable, and have history's of self inflicted destruction caused by others actions (1984 fiero ref) I'm giving this car the second chance ill never get. I like to believe its also helping me. I'm not asking for sympathy or trying to do anything dumb I just thought I'd tell my story on how I ended up here. I appreciate you reading and I'd like to here your story too. Idk if I'm allowed to post this kinda stuff if not it's okay if it gets deleted. No one knows my story and I'm scared to tell anyone so I'll tell you strangers.
EDIT: Hear not Here

------------------
AngelOf86

[This message has been edited by AngelOf86 (edited 08-16-2024).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2024 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AngelOf86:

Idk if I'm allowed to post this kinda stuff if not it's okay if it gets deleted. No one knows my story and I'm scared to tell anyone so I'll tell you strangers.

No, you've posted in exactly the right section of the forum. Venting here is a great idea... as long as you stay totally anonymous. Keeping in mind that most of the members here are male gearheads, I'm not sure of the type of responses you'll get. I'm not suggesting anyone is going to be obnoxious, but there are going to be very few members here who are qualified to deal with some of the issues you've brought up. I know that I'd certainly be out of my league. However, there is quite a cross-section of people here, so it's possible that someone will be able to offer some guidance, if you're looking for some. But we all can lend an ear.

One small thing I can suggest, in regards to using the forum... is that when you make a typo and want to correct it... instead of mentioning something at the end of the post, simply go and fix the word (like I just now had to do myself).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-16-2024).]

AngelOf86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2024 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AngelOf86Send a Private Message to AngelOf86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

No, you've posted in exactly the right section of the forum. Venting here is a great idea... as long as you stay totally anonymous. Keeping in mind that most of the members here are male gearheads, I'm not sure of the type of responses you'll get. I'm not suggesting anyone is going to be obnoxious, but there are going to be very few members here who are qualified to deal with some of the issues you've brought up. I know that I'd certainly be out of my league. However, there is quite a cross-section of people here, so it's possible that someone will be able to offer some guidance, if you're looking for some. But we all can lend an ear.

One small thing I can suggest, in regards to using the forum... is that when you make a typo and want to correct it... instead of mentioning something at the end of the post, just go and fix the word (like I just now had to do).

I don't really expect much. Just figuring out mine and my cars problems lol
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2024 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This certainly is the right place to fix your car's problems. Maybe you can relate to those fixes for your personal well-being. We certainly hope so.
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2024 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The duel diagnosis of ADD and Autism is very complicated. Experts agree there is a huge overlap. There are estimates that over 50% of autistic people have ADHD. But despite the huge overlap they are still separate and distinct neurological issues. Were you fully tested for both conditions separately before being diagnosed?

None of us can offer a lot of advice from just hearing your version of the story. But I am sure everyone here will be supportive of your Fiero project and help you achieve that goal.

The fact that you claim you will never get a 2nd chance is a huge red flag. Work hard on the car. That type of activity can have a very positive effect, but please, do not stop working on yourself. Don't self-diagnose and treat yourself. Still work with professionals. And find someone who emphasis providing support for your needs instead of just modifying your behavior to appear more neurotypical.

And I will just not mention all the mental breakdowns that can be caused by owning a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by BingB (edited 08-16-2024).]

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2024 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome AngelOf86

Avondale - I see it used to be called Coldwater back in the 1880's until 1946 when Avondale was incorporated.

Looking forward to hearing more about your Fiero. We're all here with different Fiero's in various conditions. I know I've learned a lot from fellow members over the years.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2024 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Avondale - I see it used to be called Coldwater back in the 1880's until 1946 when Avondale was incorporated.

Avondale is home to what all of us old timers still call PIR.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2024 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! Just remember that worse-case scenario, if your Fiero ever "dies",(frame rots away, fire ants consume it, etc.) , its not the end of the world - you can always get another one. (one with less fire ants, prefewrribly)

ps - its ok to leave spelling mistakes,(see above) but some people (or frogs) might look at you funny. Or sternly, such as willigoat is doing...

williegoat:"grrrrr..."

-----
Little known fact: certain parts of your Fiero are edible!
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2024 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:
-----

Dance like nobody's watching.
AngelOf86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2024 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AngelOf86Send a Private Message to AngelOf86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BingB:

The duel diagnosis of ADD and Autism is very complicated. Experts agree there is a huge overlap. There are estimates that over 50% of autistic people have ADHD. But despite the huge overlap they are still separate and distinct neurological issues. Were you fully tested for both conditions separately before being diagnosed?

None of us can offer a lot of advice from just hearing your version of the story. But I am sure everyone here will be supportive of your Fiero project and help you achieve that goal.

The fact that you claim you will never get a 2nd chance is a huge red flag. Work hard on the car. That type of activity can have a very positive effect, but please, do not stop working on yourself. Don't self-diagnose and treat yourself. Still work with professionals. And find someone who emphasis providing support for your needs instead of just modifying your behavior to appear more neurotypical.

And I will just not mention all the mental breakdowns that can be caused by owning a Fiero.

Ya I'm fully diagnosed I got both diagnoses when I was 7. I'm fully prepared for those breakdowns lol. I'm not trying to be neurotypical I'm trying to be as normal as I can get but I struggle with what "normal" is you can't necessarily get help for autism it's actually a hereditary thing with your Chromosomes. No medications or therapy can fix it. I don't try to be disabled I just I'm considered it lol I make it more of a joke then anything. People don't expect me to be autistic because I have what's formerly know as aspergers syndrome or "high functioning" autism and cherry on top im a girl most people still believe only guys can be autistic. So I don't "look" like it but it mainly effects my processing and sensory aspects. Like I'm not as bothered with as many things as people further on the spectrum I'm "normal" enough to function in society but not "normal" enough for everyone else. I've learned to stop caring it still bothers me that a word on a piece of paper will effect my relationships, jobs, school opportunities and my future but I'm not letting a label define me.

[This message has been edited by AngelOf86 (edited 08-16-2024).]

AngelOf86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2024 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AngelOf86Send a Private Message to AngelOf86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AngelOf86

13 posts
Member since Jul 2024

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Welcome! Just remember that worse-case scenario, if your Fiero ever "dies",(frame rots away, fire ants consume it, etc.) , its not the end of the world - you can always get another one. (one with less fire ants, prefewrribly)

ps - its ok to leave spelling mistakes,(see above) but some people (or frogs) might look at you funny. Or sternly, such as willigoat is doing...

williegoat:"grrrrr..."

-----

Do fieros attract fire ants? If so why? I'm genuinely intrigued.
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2024 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hailey, one of the best things you can do is keep your mind busy. That Fiero will be a great learning experience for you as well as keep your mind busy with problem solving and the rewards of success. Don't ever feel out of place just because a doctor stuck a label on your chart. Just enjoy yourself, look to the future, and don't give up. Plus I can always drive out there and give you a hand with the car if it gets too frustrating
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2024 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Listening.............

Fire away.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2024 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just skip this. I bought my Fiero "Sirius" last month and I absolutely love him. I got a fiero because I feel I have a lot in common with them. Just for reference I'm a young adult with autism/ADD. No one's ever really had hope in me and everyone who's been my "friend" just turned me into a personal project to "fix" me. I come from a home where mental health issues are considered a "prayer" issue. Ive grown up believing ill never get to be anything because of my disability and been yelled at for being "selfish" and had my throat grabbed for asking to go out side because a refrigerator humming was giving me a meltdown. I have lots of issues with depression and may have developed PTSD from a shooting in July of 2018 (I'm not diagnosed but definitely have symptoms. I won't say I have it unless I get it diagnosed) I also have a history with suicidal thoughts/Attempts and self harm (the reason I chose the name "AngelOf86") I'm getting better but I feel worthless now. I feel attached to my fiero because we're both considered "worthless", broken, unreliable, and have history's of self inflicted destruction caused by others actions (1984 fiero ref) I'm giving this car the second chance ill never get. I like to believe its also helping me. I'm not asking for sympathy or trying to do anything dumb I just thought I'd tell my story on how I ended up here. I appreciate you reading and I'd like to here your story too. Idk if I'm allowed to post this kinda stuff if not it's okay if it gets deleted. No one knows my story and I'm scared to tell anyone so I'll tell you strangers.
EDIT: Hear not Here

Hi Angel! There's a couple of people here with ADHD. I myself have (had?) ADHD when I was younger. I'd say I've grown out of the "H" part, but still have the ADD part to an extent. They call it mostly "childhood" ADHD; however, I still have some of the usual stuff... fairly distractable, and tend to be a little bit impulsive. So I get you. As I think I responded in another thread, the Fiero is a fantastic car. It's not only a fun car to work on, but it also exceptionally unique. We all understand!

The only thing I want to say though, is make sure you don't tie the Fiero's outcome to your success and failure. A car is best described as a liability. It's not something we can simply put in our pocket and forget about when times get tough. It's a large object that's always there... that has a financial burden attached to ownership. So with a Fiero, or without... we're here for you. But please... feel free to post any questions, and we can all help.

I know you said you're a girl, so if you're interested in seeing another girl who's also interested in Fieros (and has ADHD), you can check out my daughter's channel: https://www.youtube.com/@GenerationZGarage

... she's going through the process of restoring her 1985 Fiero 2m4 SE 5-Speed. Maybe some of the videos can help you. But either way... we're here if you have questions (or need parts). There are even a few members here that are local to you as well. And final thing, there is a guy located just up the road from you who has tons of Fiero parts for sale (cheap).

Stick around!
AngelOf86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2024 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AngelOf86Send a Private Message to AngelOf86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Hi Angel! There's a couple of people here with ADHD. I myself have (had?) ADHD when I was younger. I'd say I've grown out of the "H" part, but still have the ADD part to an extent. They call it mostly "childhood" ADHD; however, I still have some of the usual stuff... fairly distractable, and tend to be a little bit impulsive. So I get you. As I think I responded in another thread, the Fiero is a fantastic car. It's not only a fun car to work on, but it also exceptionally unique. We all understand!

The only thing I want to say though, is make sure you don't tie the Fiero's outcome to your success and failure. A car is best described as a liability. It's not something we can simply put in our pocket and forget about when times get tough. It's a large object that's always there... that has a financial burden attached to ownership. So with a Fiero, or without... we're here for you. But please... feel free to post any questions, and we can all help.

I know you said you're a girl, so if you're interested in seeing another girl who's also interested in Fieros (and has ADHD), you can check out my daughter's channel: https://www.youtube.com/@GenerationZGarage

... she's going through the process of restoring her 1985 Fiero 2m4 SE 5-Speed. Maybe some of the videos can help you. But either way... we're here if you have questions (or need parts). There are even a few members here that are local to you as well. And final thing, there is a guy located just up the road from you who has tons of Fiero parts for sale (cheap).

Stick around!

Is he like next town over I might need that info lol thank you.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2024 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is he like next town over I might need that info lol thank you.

Yeah, I don't want to directly post his e-mail address on here, but this is his eBay account. You can contact him and get his contact information directly: https://www.ebay.com/str/mikesawesomedeals

He has all kinds of stuff, and the nice thing is that the cars are all rust free...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock